Unemployed for 3 years+, have interview, need advice!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4031 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have an interview next week & I'm really excited but worried & very nervous about it at the same time. The problem is that I've been unemployed for just over 3 years & I don't know what to do or say when the inevitable questions come about this extremely large gap in my employment history.

I left my previous employment (just before the credit crunch/recession kicked in) to go travelling for 1 year or more (something I always wanted to do) but just before I was ready to travel, 2 family members passed away within a week of each other & it hit me very hard. So much so, I suffered from depression & everything that comes with it.

I never went travelling as it didn't feel right. I've basically hid away for the past 3 years doing nothing but living on all the money I had for travelling & now its got to the point where I have to get back out there & get a job.

I've known for a while I have to get myself back out there & live my life properly but the shame & embarrassment of being unemployed for so long & constantly worrying about what people think has held me back which obviously got worse as time went on.

From what I have read online & in newspapers, employers do discriminate against the long term employed (even though they say they don't), so do I really even stand a chance of employment now? And what do I say when they ask what the hell I've been doing all this time?? I can't tell them all that I wrote above as they'll think I'm a loser, but I don't want to lie either. I'm really stuck.

I probably babbled on there a bit.

Please help me

Thanks

well, I doubt you have been watching daytime tv for 3 years. what did you spend your time doing? maybe we can help you phrae it well! list of activities please?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thanks for he reply.

Ashamed to say I haven't done much at all. I'm not a member of any clubs or haven't done any voluntary work. And no, I rarely watch TV.

I have family/friends who live up & down the country (UK) who I regularly visit. I go swimming 2-3 times a month. I been to a lot of festivals & gigs. But I'm sure none of these count as they just come under Hobbies/Interests on my CV.

I'm not trying to make excuses but I suppose confidence played its part in holding me back from doing things I wanted. Really don't know what I'm going to do if I fall at the 1st hurdle in the interview. Or maybe I'm just thinking about it too much.

Mmm. I think it may be time to start volunteering.. your job at the moment is to make yourself attractive to an employer...

I'm really sorry, I don't know how to describe that honestly to sound good.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

well you could put that you enjoy travelling to different parts of the British Isles, I wouldn't go down the volunteer route now it would look good if you have been doing it for a while but doing it now looks although you are only doing it for the interview. I would be honest about what you have been doing, say that you had enough funds to take a few years out and that it was good to do it now before you had any responsibilities (Mortgage etc etc) but now is the time to get back in to the rat race. tell them that the traveling abroad time didn't happen but that you obviously planned it all out saved,but it didn't happen due to unforseen circumstances, don't apologise for the time off work be really positive about the job and see where it gets you, the fact that you have got an interview is a good thing they must have seen something in your application that made them want to interview you.

• Confused 1

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Thank you :) I feel a bit better after reading that..

Bit of dumb question this, but, when they do ask what I've been doing, how long do you think I should answer for? I mean, if i was unemployed for only a month or 2 then I suppose a few sentences should do. But 3+ years... 5-6 sentences, maybe? More? Should I go into great detail or shortish but to the point sentences?

You need to say enough to be clear you haven't been in prison; most common worry for hirers about CV gaps. So you need to cover the period since last job.

I think you just need to be honest. They have invited you to interview so the gap is not a fatal issue. If you try to make something up or spin it in an unrealistic way that will be pretty obvious. There is not much you can do about the gap so you just have to work with what you've got.

I would say that you were working hard and wanted to take a break, saved up some money and used the time to deal with a family bereavement and focus on your hobbies such as swimming/music/whatever. I think that is perfectly acceptable.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I agree you should be honest but you could also add that you were fortunate enough to be able to spend time looking for a job that was right for you and that you believe that this particular job in this organisation is the one for you.

Do your homework on the company so that you can expand on this.

Good luck.:-)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks guys & girls. Should I put any of this on my CV so it acknowledges the gap? Or should I just wait untill the interview to bring it up?

Hello there. If you don't explain what you've been doing, what do you plan to say about the gap please? I would be wary about lying, but I expect the guys will be able to advise.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I would keep the CV factual but make sure to include hobbies and interests. I think the gap should be explained in a covering letter explaining your interest in the organisation.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS