An HSE incident/accident involving a major construction company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was involved in a major breech of public health and safety issue and looking for advice

During my lunch hour as i was walking on the pavement browsing through my phone when i heard a loud WATCH OUT MATE !!!! in a natural reaction i raised my left arm and suddenly was hit by a huge tree branch over a meter long and weighing about 50/60kg. the tee branch hit my left shoulder just about missing my head and bounced off my shoulder then arm and hit the window of a large office block. workmen rushed towards me to check if i was ok. I'm not even sure what work was being done but all i know the tree was hit by some sort of a digging/lifting vehicle. it all happened too quick and i was in a state of shock for the next few hours.

I did not even know what to do or say so I asked to speak to a supervisor to complain, the workman responsible was begging me not to take this further as he could lose his job so after a huge apology i walked off. i spoke to a few witnesses but forgot to take anyone's detail as i was shell shocked. The only person I can speak to would be the office security who came to after he heard the bang on the window from the tree branch.when i got back to the office i realised my jacket was torn and a small dent on my phone as i dropped it.

as i was not physically hurt, i do want to report this to both HSE and and i want at least compensation for my jacket. I have to go back to the office building to see if the security guy who came out will provide me with his detail.

given the above, I appreciate advice on how to take this further.

Thanks in advance

I was not sure which section to post this thread as its very specific topic.

Edited by honeybee13
Employer name.

1. write to the HSE

2. go back, check the contractoting comoany details, and write to their head office. The security bloke is in all likelihood group4 or similar; he certainly won't have authority to make a pay out.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Just my own point on view on this

Why report it to the HSE

The report needs to be done as an accident in the companies own accident/incident reporting system (accident book) with a receipt given

The work contractors will be responsible for this as it was their machinery that hit the tree causing the accident

Instead of reporting this event to the HSE, make a report to the local authority (council) Environmental Health Department to see if the actions of the contractors are subject to any form of prosecution

This comes under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999

Before anyone jumps in saying that he was not employed by the company so those regs do not apply, read the regulations first before commenting.

The accident reporting process is not their to apportion any sort of culpability, it is their to define a route cause analysis of the accident/ incident and to put measures in place to stop it happening again. If those measures are already in place then criminal negligence will be a possibility. That is up to the Environmental Health Dept though

Remember

An accident is an event that causes a bodily injury that cannot be foreseen

An incident is a near miss or event that has the possibility to cause bodily injury

An example would be why the police no longer call a vehicle crash- Road Traffic Accident, (RTA) but a Road Traffic Collision (RTC)

Edited by squaddie