HMRC, Fredrickson International Ltd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

Hope as always someone can help me from this great site.

About 3 years ago my girlfriend was contacted by the HMRC and told she was overpaid tax credits and she needed to repay, she ignored them out of anger as she thought it their fault and was hit with a lump sum demand out of the blue. She's told me that she hasn't heard anything else until 3 weeks ago when they demanded repayment again, again she ignored them, but last week she got a letter from Fredrickson International, of which the contents are below :-

Dear Mrs xxxxx,

We have been instructed by HMRC who has passed this account to us for collection. We are appointed as their agent to act in this matter and you should now make sure you contact us in connection with the payment of this debt.

If you are experiencing financial difficulties which are preventing you from settling this debt, you must tell us now to avoid further recovery action. We will work with you to find a method of repayment that suits your circumstances.

Detailed below are up to 20 of the most recent items.

Payment reference no. Date Tax year due Amount

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 05/04/2010 2010 1235.20

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 27/07/2010 2010 101.86

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 27/07/2010 2010 136.44

Total 1473.50

If you recently made a payment or need help in understanding how this figure is calculated please contact us. Alternatively you will find links to websites which you may find helpful overleaf.

YOU MUST CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY ON 0845 0349812 AND THE PAY THE BALANCE IN FULL.

Payment should be made to Fredrickson International Ltd and can be made by credit card, which will attract a 1.4% administration fee,or you can pay free of charge by debit card.

Yours Sincerely

Fredrickson International Ltd.

Anyway, two things came to my mind, why would a powerful organisation like HMRC pass this debt to a DCA like Fredrickson, and can they enforce the debt repayment????

Again with these people it seems they are slow to payout, but woe betide you if you are overpaid.

Is there a letter template i can fire off to this DCA, does anyone feel???

Finally Fredrickson's grammar leaves a lot to be desired, plus they got my girlfriends NI number wrong, which is the payment reference number as above.

Any replies/help/advice would be most appreciated, i'm off to work now but back online later.

Regards

Steve

Yes I do believe that HMRC do farm out their debts to DCA's. There is nothing to force your g/f to deal with Freds and she could just contact HMRC to find out how she can have her case reviewed. Perhaps all she needs to do is submit a dispute to HMRC about this overpayment and to just advise Freds that she had raised a dispute with HMRC which is ongoing. Always best to send recorded and to keep copies of letters. While any debt is in dispute, no further action should be taken to enforce the debt. BUT you do have to get the dispute made, otherwise court enforcement action may well follow.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Aaah cheers uncle, is there a letter template i could follow in regards to raising a dispute with HMRC?

I find it incredible that she hadn't heard anything for about 3 years, and the thing is i wouldn't call it a debt as it's there fault for overpaying, then they have the cheek to ask for it back all in one go, when they know in her position it is unlikely.

I'm sure if boot was on the other foot, the old clique 'possession is nine tenths of the law' would come into effect in so many words.

Cheers batman, had a quick glance at it, am i reading it right that it only applies to Income and Capital Gains Tax? Will have a more detailed look when i get home.

Do you mind me asking what your wife owed for?

Can you give me ideas of letters/templates and the type of content, etc...?

Private message me if you want to keep it more discreet.