renderexterior wallcoatings ltd / MR HARVIL SHAW

csutton
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

anyone contacting the admin email should ensure there are no spaces in the address - cag automatically pops a space in to prevent direct linking and SPAM :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really isn't worth the risk - there are a number of reputable companies out there. Please choose one of them. To update you after 2 months Protective Rendering Systems had still not paid the skip company who then started to threaten us with tipping the rubbish into our garden. Harrison would only offer to send a cheque meaning that we had to pay the skip ourselves. When his cheque did arrive it was dated 2012 meaning it was useless. The work they have done is a mess and we are now moving house.

Really don't risk using them!!!

I've already said that nothing has ben received. Much better anyway to send us the actual docs, please.

I'm afraid that this kind of thing is very much in lne with what we are generally hearing. By Harrison, I suppose that you mean Havill in one of his incarnations.

Was your contract with the present company, or a previous now-liquidated version? Didn't you ever ask for a copy of the insurance certificate?

And here's another story about a problem with the exterior wall rendering http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?435087-Help-needed-with-Wall-rendering-solutions(1-Viewing)-nbsp

• 2 months later...

re exterior render wall coating

I have just had this company render the exterior of my house and have had dealings with Harrison Springfield.

The workmen themselves were excellent but I am now concerned reading all the other posts that I may have problems in the future.

I am due to pay the final balance- should I pay by credit card?

Would that offer me any protection if there are any future issues?

You are right to be concerned - although maybe this latest version of the company has turned over a new leaf.

I think that Harrison Springfield is Harvil Shaw - spot the initials.

Insist on seeing the certificate of insurance - and call the insurer and confirm that it is valid in your case.

If you are insured and also if you pay by credit card, this should protect you in the event that there are problems later.

I am sure that not all of their rendering jobs have gone wrong.

However, the problem seems to be that when jobs do go wrong, then there seems to be a lot of difficulty in getting it put right.

If you get the insurance details - we would very much like to know which company it is and any other details.

If you can not get the insurance details - and you can not get them confirmed - then I would advise you not to pay anything further - as the insurance policy is part of the contract.

Do not merely rely upon sight of the policy document. Get a copy and check it out. Make sure that you get your confirmation in writing

Many thanks for your really helpful advice.

Reading all the previous posts made me very concerned as it is a lot of money to pay especially if there are problems later.

We had problems initially with communication mostly.

The workmen here were Polish and very hard working.

There were delays in the work starting but that was due to weather.

Harrison or Harvil came here on 3 occasions and appeared to know his stuff but reading the other posts has made me worry.

He did say he has been in the business for over 25 years!!

The workmen have to come back to finish off a little work as they had to do some final alterations

and we had an email asking for the remaining payment to be made.

I will take your advice and ask for insurance details and get this checked out first.

I will send you the info on this as soon as I heard.

Many thanks

He did say he has been in the business for over 25 years!!

sorry, was that 25 years or 25 companies?

I have checked and have found the following:- "a fully approved and registered member of home improvement protection (HIP) since Dec 2013. the Insurer is Elite Insurance Company Ltd, Gibraltar and the administrator is HIP. The info is on the website- thought would give them a call. Have checked and they are members of the master guild of craftsman.

Can they actually refuse credit card payment and ask for bank transfer. Do I have any rights here??

Many thanks

Yes they probably are members of the Guild of Craftsmen – and all the previous iterations of their company have also been members. However, it is meaningless and offers you no protection if the company is wound up.

I don't know whether you have understood yet but the pattern so far is that the company is wound up and a new company is started every three years or so. Then when people try to go back for their guarantees, they are simply told that was a previous company and we now have no liability because we are a new company.

The Guild of Craftsmen is a self-serving professional organisation. It exists for its members. It does not exist for you – an aggrieved customer. If the company is wound up – then their membership ceases also. When a new company is then brought into existence, a new membership of the Guild is applied for and granted.

We have tried phoning the Guild before and they will not speak to us. They only deal with their members.

You need an insurance which covers the work for the expected life of the work – even after the company is wound up.

It is very heartening that they refer to insurance company on their website. However I notice that they give no policy number – and anyway, with the history of this company I would want to see a copy of the certificate and policy document and then I would want to communicate directly with the insurance company to make sure that everything was beyond doubt.

Frankly I think I would want to make these kind of checks with any building company that I dealt with or any other organisation which offered me a lifetime guarantee. At the moment, without insurance, a lifetime guarantee simply means a guarantee for the lifetime of the present company. Without insurance, a lifetime guarantee only lasts for the lifetime of the company. This is where a lot of previous customers have fallen foul and have been left with big repair bills.

Looks good - but given the past history of these companies and of Harrison-Shaw, I would take all steps to ascertain the validity of the insurance and its applicability to you.

It is up to you to satisfy yourself. I can assure you that there are many customers of the previous versions of this company who have never been provided any insurance cover despite having been promised it on their website. They have been left high and dry.

I think that we have advised you as best we can. Now you will have to make your own judgment as to whether you feel that you have the protection you need.

Please do let us know what you decide and whether you run into any problems in the future.

• 4 months later...
I suspect that this is the person we paid a deposit to in december, who we can't get hold of now. Calling himself harrison springfield.

I have also paid a deposit to the elusive Harrison Springfield or would that be Harvil Shaw! He is very difficult to pin down. I am having second thoughts about using this firm after having read all the negative info on them. I checked all his credentials and all seemed fine until I stumbled on this forum! wondering how to get out of contract. Any advice?

I have also paid a deposit to the elusive Harrison Springfield or would that be Harvil Shaw! He is very difficult to pin down. I am having second thoughts about using this firm after having read all the negative info on them. I checked all his credentials and all seemed fine until I stumbled on this forum! wondering how to get out of contract. Any advice?

Yes, you should check out the insurance immediately. You want to see the certificate of insurance and then you must telephone the insurance company and get confirmation from them that the insurance is valid as described.

Before you phone the insurance company read our customer services guide and make sure that you follow its advice before you start contacting them.

If there is the slightest hint of trouble, then I suggest that you contact action fraud and also begin a County Court claim immediately for the return of your money.

You're quite right that Harrison Springfield is Harvill Shaw.

HARVIL Shaw, 51, of Far Leys, Oxton Hill, Southwell, was sent to prison for ten weeks and banned from driving for three years after pleading guilty to failing to provide a specimen of breath for analysis in Nottingham on January 18. [2014]

Thank you to Site Team Honeybee13 for this

Whoops. Looks like Harvil is a serial offender. (Got a nice motor though…)

HARVIL Shaw, 51, of Oxton Hill, Southwell, has admitted driving while using a mobile phone.

He committed the offence while behind the wheel of a Mercedes E-Class car in Daybrook on April 17. Nottingham Magistrates' Court fined Shaw £170, endorsed his driving licence with three penalty points and ordered him to pay a £20 victim surcharge and £85 costs.

Thanks again to site team: Honeybee13

On a positive note recently Pro-tective Rendering used very hard working skilful polish sub-contractors on a job for us and Harrison/Harvil was very responsive. It remains to be seen how much longer this latest company will last.

Edited by treg

Yes, I think that we have said before that we are sure that there are satisfied customers around. The trouble is that he has smashed up his reputation with a number of unsatisfied customers and the very poor customer service and the trend of putting companies into administration and then starting up new ones and the apparent lack of insurance.

I understand that tradingstandards was carry out an investigation although I don't know where they are on it now.

He may now have turned a new leaf – but I wouldn't give him any business at least without seeing that there is a valid insurance in place. That means see the certificate checking the policy and then phoning the insurance company and making sure it's alright and frankly getting that from them in writing

Hi, paid 1000 POUNDS DEPOSIT ON CREDIT CARD, hopefully I will get a refund! I did check his credentials and everything seemed ok, who knows with this slippery character. Would love to see a photo of this Harvil/ Harrison to verify its the same person.

Thanks . Harrison / Harvil is a government approved green deal installer now. How can this be when there are so many complaints about him? Do these companies ever get thoroughly checked out?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56772[/ATTACH]

Could this be him?

Yes, it looks like him, perhaps in his younger years though. So, how can it be proven that Harvil and Harrison are the same person? If Harvil is signing documents as Harrison Springfield would that be classed as fraud?

Glad you are satisfied with the work .what area are in? would like to do a drive by!

Happy to PM you pictures...not sure I want to be a show house lol.

The polish work ethic has to be seen to be believed. However I suspect if you were able to employ them directly the price would be much cheaper.

Edited by treg

Thank you to Site Team Honeybee13 for this

Disqualified for 3 years, really? He is still driving around in his flash cars! I suppose if he is now calling himself Harrison Springfield he must feel confident that he wont be caught! what a charmer!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a lot of these branded wall coating companies operate in the same way ie they sub contract to crews/subbies The subbies probably work for lots of different companies.

That's the part that is most misleading and it's not just Harrison/Harvil that is operating in this way.

These are not real companies with employed staff that they can easily send to fix faults.