• Tweets

• You can't, but you can (and really should) bring up the point that the lender isn't meeting their legal obligations in selling the property for fair market value. You'll have to do this in court, though.     A receiver is bought in by the lender, not you. If they're a registered insolvency practitioner, you may be able to raise a complaint to the insolvency service but there are no guarantees here. Many receivers are also registered with the RICS and self-regulate so if you know the name of the receiver you can check there, again no guarantees.   https://www.rics.org/surveyor-careers/career-development/accreditations/registered-property-receivership-scheme
    • China green-lights mass production of autonomous flying taxis — with commercial flights set for 2025 | Live Science WWW.LIVESCIENCE.COM The EHang EH216-S autonomous flying taxi is the first eVTOL ready for mass production and could lead the way for flying cars around...  
    • Lolerz - I don't understand you.  Rebuked you?   No. I simply replied to your orange comments with legal facts as I know them.  I've already worked through the s42 and s146 issues - over the last 3-4y - and these issues are (mostly) resolved legally.  In terms of posting evidence.  Sure I can post some.  But my most recent questions have been a) how can I enforce a sale before trial?  And b) how can I make a complaint and/or a claim v receiver? (E.g. to which body do I complain?).  At the mo I'm asking for some helpful pointers on those specific questions??  I'm not asking for help with how to prove or present evidence. Fwiw - all evidence for trial has been disclosed (although additions are poss). The lender sent me like 10,000 emails and docs.  There's also 000s of emails, docs, photos, videos, recordings and texts that relate to freeholders/ me.   I read, filed and categorised everything for ease of future reference.  Witness statements and evidence were prepared for trial in the 42 and 146 matters. (now joined with current claim to save duplication).  I've lived the process before.  My current statement and linked evidence has taken like 6 months to draft/ write - to ensure I can succinctly prove my defence and counterclaim points.   Whether I can convince a judge at trial w/o lawyer / barrister is debatable 🙄   But I've prepared.  And continue to try better prepare - which is why I visit this site (and clinics).  This is NOT my business or expertise at all.  I'm just trying.  Not that anyone should ever have to justify why they need help if they ask politely! 
    • Thanks for the other info will also take a look at that.
    • It doesn't use the word reconstructed in the cover letter.  Although, I have just noticed on the cover letter they have asked me to complete a financial statement and offer a repayment within the next 10 days, or they will continue to follow court directions.  They sent a separate letter on the same day advising me they will be continuing with their claim ?  They have done the same for both claims.  Is it worth just doing that - doing the financial breakdown and offering a x amount.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

New Employer can't afford to pay me! Part2

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4075 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi again guys.

I have a parallel thread running in the benefits section regarding this problem (Link Below):

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?379850-New-Employer-can-t-afford-to-pay-me-!

Bullet points for brevity's sake:

• Started work Jan 7th, contracted payment date 23rd Jan.
  • 23rd Jan, no payment forthcoming. Kicked up fuss, £250 (rather than the £300 promised) materialised at about 10.30pm that evening.
  • 24th Jan, I was taken to one side by a senior member of personnel who told me that the company couldn't afford to pay me the remainder of my wage at present but they would 'try to get something to me' today or Monday

The situation as it stands is that nothing has gone into my bank, and I've been told the following by another member of staff:

• She's only been paid on time twice in eight months, and she frequently has to threaten to stop work to get paid.
  • The company have used a high APR factoring company get the money to pay us this month (although that's debatable because we haven't been paid yet, obviously), and have been using them to fund the business since November.
  • The company have been taken to ET multiple times in the last 18 months for non-payment of wages
  • If I leave before they pay me, they won't pay me unless I make them.

My plan is to hold out until the close of play today, and see if any money goes in. To be blunt, however, my transport to work costs me £120 a month, and I need to renew my ticket on Monday - if I haven't been paid the rest of my wage, I won't be able to afford to do that, so physically getting to work won't be possible for me.

I'm interested to see how everyone here would play this from this point?

Edited by LaughingGirl

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Hello again LG.

Thank you for starting the new thread and I hope the guys will be able to help you.

In case people don't have time to read the benefits thread, Laughing Girl was more or less told to take this job by Jobcentre plus [don't ask...], which has made things difficult for her.

HB

• Confused 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I've already emailed the JCP, and had no response. I think my only alternative at this stage is to finish today as normal, but not come in Monday and physically attend the JCP and speak directly to the adviser that gave me the job to apply to. I literally cannot afford to come in on Monday anyway, as it stands.

I've just had an email saying that I have not been paid yet because they're having "issues with their Wi-Fi", which has worried me even more to be honest. They can't make transfers by phone? Use an ethernet cable? This just doesn't feel right at all.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

Well, by way of an update, some money has been deposited but as it stands I've been paid just under £700, which by my calculations makes my pay about £5.30 an hour, going on the hours that I've worked. I have zero faith that if I work the next four weeks they will be in a position to pay me, so I won't be going back.

Further to my last post - the total I have been paid is actually 675.00. An email was sent saying that the money that was paid into the accounts (obviously I'm not the only person affected) was a rough approximation of what's owed and amounts could be 'rounded up or down' on Monday. I'm not entirely sure how they think that they're going to round it down unless they write to me and ask for me to repay money. :|

This works out at roughly £5.29 an hour now that I've checked properly. Even more worryingly, one of the other girls who queried her wage was told that they couldn't work it out exactly because we're not going to get a wage slip for this payment.

I'm a bit leery of reporting them for that until I have it from the horses mouth, so to speak. They've been trying to call me all morning, but I don't particularly want to get into a phone debate about all of this - I'd prefer to keep it to emails so I have a paper trail. They'd be very silly indeed to tell me in writing that I'm not getting a payslip, though.

OK, it's just getting really quite silly now. Long story short, I had a phone call this evening saying that if I come back, they'd be happy to pay me weekly to 'regain my trust', and that I should stick with them because they have a management position in mind for me when they take on additional staff (Seriously??!!). When I said that I'd have to discuss the offer with my partner, the tone of the conversation changed and I was told that I'd been paid up to January 31st and that if I didn't agree to come back I'd either have to work hours owed or repay them the money.

My plan now is to email all the Directors very politely declining the offer, and to ask that if they say I owe then any money, to confirm the sum involved so I can arrange repayment. I'd be very interested to see if any of them are prepared to commit to that in writing.

This works out at roughly £5.29 an hour now that I've checked properly. Even more worryingly, one of the other girls who queried her wage was told that they couldn't work it out exactly because we're not going to get a wage slip for this payment.

I don't know the ins and outs of all this; but aren't they legally required to supply wage slips?

I don't think they need reminding, Huggy. I think that they're just hoping that I was born yesterday and I'll be intimidated into going back because I'm frightened that I might owe them money. I'd put what little money I have left on that anything that I mention in writing about the so called 'overpayment' will be completely ignored.

I'm going to wait to see what they're prepared to commit to in writing before I decide on further action.

Thanks for that Huggy, I'll download it.

Sound like there just trying to butter you up to return to work!! Have you spoke to the job centre?

Well, if they're trying to butter me up, vague threats about owing them money is completely the wrong way to go about it! Before that happened, I was just concerned about whether or not I'd be able to sign on and do crazy things like eat next week - now I'm absolutely furious!

I've just worked my exact hourly wage out using an online salary calculator, and if what is being suggested is true and I've been paid up to the 31st January, I've just worked this month for a staggering £4.41 an hour (gross). Maybe I completely misunderstood my contract and I was actually on some sort of apprenticeship. [/sarcasm]

Even if I've been paid for the hours I actually worked, it would work out as a gross hourly rate of £5.19 an hour, so still under minimum wage. Naturally, my email asking how much I owe and how I should repay it has been met with a request to call them, which isn't going to happen - not even with a call recorder. They can put it in writing or forget about it.

@ Nystagmite - yep, they're definitely supposed to provide wage slips, legally. I think it's pretty obvious why they don't want to in my case though.

Hi LaughingGirl. If a payrun has been missed or went wrong for some reason, an employer can make a payment without a payslip being produced rather than leave their employees high and dry. As long as the amounts are then included on the next pay run (i.e. February), they are ok to do this. They are sort of making a payment 'in advance' of the next formal payrun. Just check with them that they are not planning to never produce a payslip, merely that there won't be one for this payment as a payrun hasn't actually happened.

SNALF, thanks for the clarification. It's not usually something I'd be concerned about if it was a one off and I'd been with the employer for some time, so was able to make a qualified judgement on their integrity. However, the circumstances on this occasion are very different in my opinion because a) We were told we were being paid late because they couldn't afford to pay us on time and b) They are now claiming that I've been over paid despite the fact that I've been paid less than the minimum wage even for the hours I've worked.

To be honest, the payslip or lack thereof isn't my major concern because I can rely on my bank statements if this does go any further.

Sounds like you are best out of there Laughing Girl but still don't let them get away with it. To make a nett payment in advance of a payrun, they normally deduct 33% to make sure that they have covered all deductions for when the payrun happens. If you are calculating your wages, divide the payment they made by two and then times by three, that should give you the approximate gross. Then divide the gross by the hours worked (bearing in mind they may have a 'cut-off' date for extra hours). There is a chance that they do not calculate payment outside of a pay run in this way, but most employers do. Hope that helps.

• Confused 1

Thank you SNALF - that's really interesting to know, and if they have done it that way it would explain the low payment. It still doesn't explain why they're saying that I owe them money though!

OK, it's just getting really quite silly now. Long story short, I had a phone call this evening saying that if I come back, they'd be happy to pay me weekly to 'regain my trust', and that I should stick with them because they have a management position in mind for me when they take on additional staff (Seriously??!!). When I said that I'd have to discuss the offer with my partner, the tone of the conversation changed and I was told that I'd been paid up to January 31st and that if I didn't agree to come back I'd either have to work hours owed or repay them the money.

My plan now is to email all the Directors very politely declining the offer, and to ask that if they say I owe then any money, to confirm the sum involved so I can arrange repayment. I'd be very interested to see if any of them are prepared to commit to that in writing.

I would be very wary of the above as it may have implications with the job centre and being paid any benefits. Maybe it would not be wise to decline the offer at this time in writing, but to get them to admit the payment issue in writing as you suggested. They will be in serious doo doo if they are not even paying the minimum wage and that may be a better way to tackle it as the job centre will have to side with you and cannot penalise you because of the criminal actions of a company. Maybe others will agree or disagree.