Fraudulent Water Meter Installation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4048 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a strange problem. I own a wood and two fields. Over the past twwenty five years or so, I have permitted two local farmers in succession to use the fields, in return for maintaining hedges and fences.

Unbeknown to myself either one or both or them between themselves had a water supply and meter connected to one of the fields which already had a sheep dip tank. The meter I am informed is hidden in a hedge.

The first occupant moved on some ten years or more ago, the second died some nine months ago. I have never used any piped water on my property always, assuming there was none there and brought it in by bowser. Having no need for a permanent supply and would never have given permission for one, especially with a meter.

Any advice wouild be welcome.

Carningli.

I have now recieved a bill from the water company for over £1,500.

Conniff - OP said that one moved away 10 years ago and the other one died so they will have trouble with that unless I mis-read the post.

At OP - do you currently have a tenant? Who's name is on the Water Account?

Work for my local CAB but my views and advice are my own. Try AdviceGuide or Adviceline (08444 111 444) for CAB help ;)

Thank you Coniff and DanscoCAB for your replies.

The estate of the last person to have use of the land recieved the bill from the Water company bill, but one of the executors of his estate (his daughter) is trying to get the Water company to pass the bill on to me, as I own the ground and have done for fifty years. I have asked the Water Company for sight of the Meter Agreement to determine Name, Address and signature of person who had meter installed. Water Company afe refusing under excuse of Data Protecction Act. Yet they accepted her giving ny name and address.

Carningli

If they can't give you any information on the meter under the DPA then how can they say you're responsible for the bill?

Do you have any kind of contract or anything to show that the land was in use by this person as a 'tennant'?

Thank you Coniff and DanscoCAB for your replies.

The estate of the last person to have use of the land recieved the bill from the Water company bill, but one of the executors of his estate (his daughter) is trying to get the Water company to pass the bill on to me, as I own the ground and have done for fifty years. I have asked the Water Company for sight of the Meter Agreement to determine Name, Address and signature of person who had meter installed. Water Company afe refusing under excuse of Data Protecction Act. Yet they accepted her giving ny name and address.

Carningli

If they are refusing to supply a copy of the agreement, it stands to reason that the agreement is not in your name otherwise data protection would be irrelevant and they could supply a copy. Secondly I am fairly sure that on the form there is a clause that states "Do you have the Landlords consent for meter to be installed." Thirdly in the interim who has been paying the water bill? I doubt very much if they will go near court with this one. If they continue to hassle you remind them of the Protection from Harassment Act. I sure there is some case law regarding BGAS harrassing someone and then having to pay a huge amount of compensation. I think it is on CAG somewhere.

Thank you Surfer01,

I have come to the same conclusion as yourself, the Warer company either do not hold an agreement or it is in someone elses name. I must emphasise that neither of the persons having use of the ground were tenants nor did they pay any rent. This was done on the advice of my solicitor (sadly now deceased as well) as he feared an agricultural tenancy could possibly be claimed, if I was not careful. I have a good suspicion, but no proof as to who was resposible!

Carningli

• 5 months later...

I would like to draw this post to a conclusion. The matter has been resolved by the Water Company crediting me with the full amount charged for which I am very grateful.

Carnigli

Edited by Carningli
Typo

I would like to draw this post to a conclusion. The matter has been resolved by the Water Company crediting me with the full amount charged for which I am very grateful.

Carnigli

Well done for persevering.