Retention of card details

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4197 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My apologies if this posting is in the wrong slot.

I recently paid a small bill for someone online using a debit card (under £10) to avoid their domain name being lost. Bill paid at webfusion (123-reg). To my surprise I was prevented from deleting my card details on their system and they refused to remove them when contacted until alternative card details were supplied.

I subsequently sent an extremely powerful letter (legal, clean and decent) threatening immediate action of various kinds. They promptly removed my details within hours as demanded.

What is the law on such details been retained ? I have since asked staff at two banks and they had not got a clue (so they said).

This is why I use a separate bank account for online transactions, if they keep the details they won't be able to get any further information other than my online spending (which as I am on JSA at the moment is virtually non-existant).

I think it is down to the individual suppliers whether they keep details or not, there doesn't (IMHO) appear to be much legislation covering this - I think there should be, particularly with a certain sector of an online based 'industry' misusing the information on their 'shaired payment platform'.

Thanks for response.

I too use a separate account (Halifax Cash-Account) which is a remnant account from when I reorganised my savings. I keep pennies in that account and move money in shortly before I spend money, either on the high street or online.

It is the principle I am concerned account as you have acknowledged.

Just because it is in their terms and conditions does not mean it is neither legal nor fair, so there is the 'unfair relationship' aspect to look at.

Many companies I use ASK if they can keep my card details, if this option was available on ALL online shopping sites ON THE PURCHASE PAGE then it would be a good thing, no good having it buried fathoms deep after the event.

It could be made part of Company legislation too, but of course that is not an avenue our current government would go down - too much 'nanny state' for them and their precious 'business associates'!

That is precisely what I was telling the people I was representing when I paid the bill. Relative novices on IT and their URL was about to expire.

I used my carpet-bombing technique which involves sending a letter with c.c. copies to everyone relevant under the sun (what’s left of it). That always works (so far).