Got caught with my Mothers oyster card.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3903 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So i got caught today with my mothers discounted oyster card. The inspector made me pay the bus fare and then took the oyster card from me. I confessed it belonged to my Mother after some interrogation. She didn't take my address or name so i asked what would happen to the oyster card and she said they would send a letter to her house.

What does this mean? My Mother phoned TFL and told them she lost it on my advise so they blocked it now. Have i gotten her in trouble or have i gotten away with a slap on the wrist?

I've been worried sick all day and i definitely won't be using it again. I'm a cash strapped student so i wanted to save on my costs.

Edited by Rambo21

So i got caught today with my mothers discounted oyster card. The inspector made me pay the bus fare and then took the oyster card from me. I confessed it belonged to my Mother after some interrogation. She didn't take my address or name so i asked what would happen to the oyster card and she said they would send a letter to her house.

What does this mean? My Mother phoned TFL and told them she lost it on my advise so they blocked it now. Have i gotten her in trouble or have i gotten away with a slap on the wrist?

I've been worried sick all day and i definitely won't be using it again. I'm a cash strapped student so i wanted to save on my costs.

Hello and welcome to CAG. I expect the guys will be along later.

I'm not a forum expert, but I'm not sure that TfL won't tie up the seperate stories that you and your mother told about how the card a) being confiscated and then b) being lost, as it was found in the possession of the holder's offspring. I believe their systems are pretty sophisticated.

Would you mind telling us please what kind of discount card it was, Freedom Pass or something else?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello and welcome to CAG. I expect the guys will be along later.

I'm not a forum expert, but I'm not sure that TfL won't tie up the seperate stories that you and your mother told about how the card a) being confiscated and then b) being lost, as it was found in the possession of the holder's offspring. I believe their systems are pretty sophisticated.

Would you mind telling us please what kind of discount card it was, Freedom Pass or something else?

My best, HB

Thank you for the reply.

It was a discounted oyster card for job seekers. I paid the one day bus travel which is half price on my way to university.

She didn't take down my names or details and she made me pay for the bus fair and said i was lucky because she could have fined me £80 but she also tricked me into giving her my mothers oyster card so i don't really trust her word.

I'm not afraid for myself because they don't have my details but I'm worried my Mother will get in trouble. I basically told her to tell the TFL that she lost it.

The fact that the oyster card has been reported lost by the owner and has infact been blocked is good. TFL will re-issue a new card without hassle if it was registered. If it was not registered, there may be a delay before a new one is issued, as the entire process will have to be initiated again. I work for TFL.

The fact that the oyster card has been reported lost by the owner and has infact been blocked is good. TFL will re-issue a new card without hassle if it was registered. If it was not registered, there may be a delay before a new one is issued, as the entire process will have to be initiated again. I work for TFL.

So they would assume the card was found and used by someone else?

Anyone could say 'it belongs to my mother' and as they have no proof it was you, they will not be able to prove a fraud case. The driver's actions have done you a huge favour. If you had been caught by a fair evasion officer and taken the above action, you could get in a lot of trouble.

Please learn your lesson!

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

And what happens if / when they find out it wasn't really stolen?

This is my fear. I think if they do find out then i would come clean.

Thanks for the replies. More views on this situation is more than welcomed.

Anyone could say 'it belongs to my mother' and as they have no proof it was you, they will not be able to prove a fraud case. The driver's actions have done you a huge favour. If you had been caught by a fair evasion officer and taken the above action, you could get in a lot of trouble.

Please learn your lesson!

It was actually an inspector who caught me. Could they take my mother to court and bring the inspector that caught me as a witness to identify me as her son?

Ok misread your original post.

However, the fact that they didn't identify you will still have the same effect. Normally they would ask for your name and address and verify it on the phone.

I still think that so long as you stick to your stories, you'll both be ok. Not that I condone it though, hence why I say 'please learn your lesson'

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

Ok misread your original post.

However, the fact that they didn't identify you will still have the same effect. Normally they would ask for your name and address and verify it on the phone.

I still think that so long as you stick to your stories, you'll both be ok. Not that I condone it though, hence why I say 'please learn your lesson'

Thanks for the reply. I defiantly won't be taking that risk again.

This probably isn't as clear cut as everyone thinks.

I suspect they will write to your mother asking the reasons the pass came to be used by somebody else.

If she says it was taken by you without her permission, they will want your name, and they will probably prosecute you.

If she says she gave it to you, they will most likely withdraw her pass.

The Inspector will have completed a report saying it was withdrawn because her son was using it.

So your mother reporting it "lost", suggests to TfL that she did not give you permission to use it and simply can no longer locate it.

Yea but they didn't take down my details so how can they prosecute me? Anyone could claim it belonged to their Mum.

You think they would demand to see my mothers sons to identify me? Would they take it that far?

I suspect you will probably get away with it, on this occasion.

You'll just have to wait and see over the next 6 months.

Whilst I don't think anyone is going to be prosecuted here, it is possible that your mother may have her pass withdrawn for a period of time.

• 10 months later...

Quoted for the record : see also

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?403033-Gave-wrong-details-in-the-train-station-barriers&p=4341017#post4341017