Council Tax Benefit & Non Dependant Charges - Info & Advice please

odaat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4233 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Have received a letter from council tax benefit department which says they want to apply "non-dependant charges" as a deduction to my council tax benefit. I would appreciate information on what this is, how the scheme works and what I should do about it.

I receive JSA, income support basis and council tax benefit. I share with two other people who receive benefit and housing allowance. We are not related nor do we have 'relations' with each other. It is my flat (2 bed) and they each have a licence to occupy. Utility bills and running costs are shared on a not quite proportionate basis.

On my JSA application I disclosed the "rent" of £50 I receive each week. No further details were asked or given on that point. My JSA benefit is reduced by £15 per week taking into account the £35 weekly allowance.

The council tax benefit was made jointly at the same time as my JSA claim. The CT Benefit department have picked up the presence of others from the electoral roll. It looks like the DWP try to make people dependants to reduce benefit while the CT Benefit department try to make people non-dependants to reduce benefits!

Any information and advice would be much appreciated.

well tell them then.

on your ctax benefit form there is a number

phone and tell them you have no relation to them at all.

they might just be assuming.

my freind had the same and it was sorted

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

when you say you are sharing with two people, do you mean a couple? or 2 single people?

normally if a person is in receipt of hb or ctb and they have anpother adult living with them, a deduction is applied to their maximum level of hb/ctb - this is because it is expected that the other person will be contributing towards the rent/council tax costs

however no deduction applies in respect of people with whom you have a commercial arrangement i.e. where you are charging them rent on a commercial basis

i would suggest contacting your council and explaining that the other people are renting a room or rooms and ask them to reconsider applying a deduction - if they decide to apply a deduction, ask for written explanation of their reasons so that you can get further advice

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.