I am getting letters from Lowell to my parents house re very old catalogue debt.

dosb123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Im new to this but I would like some advice.

I received about 6 letters today from a company called Lowell for a debt that is apparently from 'shop direct'.

The problem is Lowell sent these letters to my parents house.

I have not lived there for over 12 years.

The letters were also in my maiden name which I changed when I married nearly 9 years ago.

I long time ago I did get into debt with a few companies but as far as I am honestly aware, I cleared all of my debt. I have never heard of shop direct or Lowell.

My problem is my mum is understandably quite upset about this and has concerns about debt being registered at her house.

Im not sure how to handle it.

If I call or write to Lowell they are then going to assume that they can keep contacting me there and I dont want to upset my mother further.

If I try and get a credit report for my name at my parents house will this be any kind of fraud because I dont live there?

Hello and Welcome,

Debts are not registered against a house but the person. This debt will be a long time Statute Barred, your parents address is the last address Lowell have for you.

Why can't you get a Credit Report from your present address ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

It will be for a very old catalogue debt.

Shop Direct took over a number of catalogue companies.

But their accounts are rubbish.

They will have sent over a new batch of historic debts to Lowells,

who have just sent a letter to the only address they have found for you.

The debt will be statute barred and therefore not enforceable.

If you send them this letter ( link below) from your current address,

they should then leave you alone and also stop writing to your parents address.

Per OFT rules, if a debt company is advised a debt is statute barred and the debtor does not want to pay it, then they have to leave them alone.

Do not phone them, as it will be a waste of time, as they will just want payment on moral grounds.

You owe Lowell nothing. They would have bought the debt for about 2% of its value.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?408-Letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for your advice.

I got a credit report (at my address) about six months ago and there was no mention of Lowell or Shop Direct.

I was worried that if I acknowledge that they have written to my parents house they might keep doing it until I pay them because they will know that they are upsetting me by doing so.

My mum is worried that debt collectors may call at her house. She is not at all like me and has always kept her finances in order. The thought of this has stressed her a lot.

I will send them the letter that you have suggested. Thank you.

I was worried that if I acknowledge that they have written to my parents house they might keep doing it

You've hit the nail on the head, I'd stick any letters they send back in a post box unopened with 'return to sender, this person does not live at this address'.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

and just tell her any doorstepper has no legal powers anyhow.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

Im new to this but I would like some advice.

I received about 6 letters today from a company called Lowell for a debt that is apparently from 'shop direct'.

The problem is Lowell sent these letters to my parents house.

I have not lived there for over 12 years.

The letters were also in my maiden name which I changed when I married nearly 9 years ago.

I long time ago I did get into debt with a few companies but as far as I am honestly aware, I cleared all of my debt. I have never heard of shop direct or Lowell.

My problem is my mum is understandably quite upset about this and has concerns about debt being registered at her house.

Im not sure how to handle it.

If I call or write to Lowell they are then going to assume that they can keep contacting me there and I dont want to upset my mother further.

If I try and get a credit report for my name at my parents house will this be any kind of fraud because I dont live there?

12 years removed from address 9 years since named changed Lowell have dug up another tranch of statute barred rubbish.

I doubt there will be anthing showing on the reports for debt this old.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: