WRAG and the new proposals

osdset
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I dont get why they are trying to make out that workfare is about helping people into work rather than admitting they are using it as an excuse to sanction more people = save money

The dwps OWN research showed that it doesnt benefit anyone with regards to getting back into work...

http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/rports2007-2008/rrep533.pdf

There is little evidence that workfare increases the likelihood of finding work. It can even reduce employment chances by limiting the time available for job search and by failing to provide the skills and experience valued by employers.
Workfare is least effective in getting people into jobs in weak labour markets where unemployment is high.
Quite how they can justify forcing ill and disabled people to participate in workfare, which is likely to be detrimental to their health, whilst acknowledging that it doesnt actually help anyone in the long run (besides the buisinesses that benefit from not having to pay staff) is beyond me. It really is.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speedfreek, i totally agree about iaps. It has taken me 3 years to get counselling,three bloody years during which time my life has gone from bad to worse. My ex employer did provide a 6 week session but that was probably worse than doing nothing. Once you open pandoras box on your emotions you can not then put the lid back on. I really do not know how i could travel to work every day on public transport or work with other people. Yet in the company of close friends only you may not realise anything is wrong.

That was actually a very successful scheme that was dropped for WP :lol:

The scheme itself was very good tbf as it tried to help those before things got to bad and neglected.

Multi agency and all well funded so.....

Councils still fund such thing but for mot too much longer :lol:

Yes, this type of scheme was what ESA was supposed to be about - actually helping people back into work and getting them priority help.

My worry is that the tide is turning. The funding will no longer be there for the best parts of the schemes, and other parts of the scheme may be .....misused to suit the current government agenda.

When I first heard about ESA, in the planning stages, I was so optimistic - there was talk of things like counselling, CBT, priority access to pain clinics, funding for skills retraining and education for those on WRAG....but again an intial good idea was mutilated and misused to end up with what ESA currently is. So for me it isn't such a jump to belive that other schemes will be mutilated in a similar way. maybe I'm just too cynical.

I know someone who still has mental health issues, but was helped back to work by his employer's back to work scheme which assessed him and offered him a course of CBT to help with stress and agoraphobia, and he was able to return to work before having to take an ESA ATOS assessment. So I'm well aware of the benefits that the right type of scheme can offer. But for him there was no pressure to return to work, no targets or monetary compensation for getting him back to work, except for the employer and him.

Edited by estellyn

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Which might just be the thing that scuppers the plan, 'participants' would have to be placed in work situations that could not ever endanger their or anyone else s well being, or employers will refuse referrals due to insurance implications.

If the proposals go ahead regardless, I would expect the no win no fee lawyers to be rubbing their collective hands together at the prospect of a huge influx of personal injury claims from WRAG participants that have injured themselves after being asked to complete inappropriate tasks, these proposals are also possibly in breach of the Equality act.

This is what the most likely event now is to stop this rot.

I have said to myself since all this started some years back that eventually the government will keep pushing harder and harder but also eventually someone who is ill will have a high profile accident in a workplace maybe even die, or someone will successfully take legal action and then it will all start a chain of events as a precedent will be set.

The government are well aware of what they doing is illegal, it accounts for why there is syncronous cuts to legal aid and now after legal challenge on tv they instead of fixing the cause are now talking to the tribunal service behind closed doors to try and rig appeals and also make it much harder to make an appeal in the first place.

As for what oxdset regarding the fit for work situation on WRAG it is exactly that, clearly its a trap, if someone is WRAG is mandated to a work placement, they are in a short term no win situation, either do the activity risking health and then wondering why didnt claim JSA in first place as is same thing or refuse, taking a huge financial hit. I can see anyone successfully completing work placements to be swiftly told they fit for work on their next assessment.

You may be right, but my understanding was it was being trialled as part of the 'fit to work' programme in selected areas. But I could well be wrong - hope I am.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/health-work-and-well-being/our-work/fit-for-work-services/

ETA: as an example http://www.leicesterfit4work.org.uk/_HEALTHCAREPROFESSIONALS.aspx

remember an earlier post from me guys? I had a GP reffer me to this scheme after I was refused further sick notes.

But then the scheme rejected me said the refferal was wrong or something so I am not on it but a GP did try to refer me.