Is anyone on ESA for Alcohol Addiction

sja75
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Just wondering if there is anyone out there regards the above.

I am currently on ESA (assessment phase) for this and I am currently being made to attend the an INDEPENDENT WORK PROVIDER with enforced AA meetings.

Anyone out there in a similar situation?

Regards

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought is how on earth can they "enforce" AA meetings? They have no way to prove you have been there easily since these meetings are anonymous and if your sponsor or group organiser chooses to remain anonymous, how do you prove you have been? I know this because last year the local authority imposed this on a friend as part of an "ABC" for him to keep his home. We had the devil's own job getting proof, although AA HQ when contacted by e-mail did what they could to help. In the end this clause had to be removed from the "ABC".

And these meetings are voluntary, and when people are forced to do these things before they are ready, they fail. Hence voluntary.

Can't offer much advice, just my thoughts. An interesting problem though, this one, lets see what they come up with for people with different addictions.

I am currently on ESA (assessment phase) for this and I am currently being made to attend the an INDEPENDENT WORK PROVIDER with enforced AA meetings.

Where you made to attend prior to going onto ESA(assessment)?

While on ESA Assessment you should not be forced to any WP or interviews etc, as they do not know the WCA outcome, and may be forcing someone[to participate] who may be (possibly) placed in the ESA-Support group.

You would need to talk to JCP about having participation[with WP etc] suspended.

It is normal from what I've heard once in WRAG to be forced to attend therapy or to seek and accept support for addictions.

Would those not be classed as medical treatments?

I am currently on WRAG and have been given information concerning therapy etc, but they (JCP) have not (and I would not allow them to) force me to go to therapy.

No AA and the like are not medical treatments. They are just emotional support and encouragement. I can't see why someone would not want to accept help with an addiction, but it is someone's right to refuse it. But the Government stand is if you want financial support from the state because of an addiction you can only receive that financial support if you are seeking and accepting support to cease the addiction. Similar criteria to JSA, if you are out of work and need financial assistance because of that you can only receive that financial support if you are seeking assistance towards finding work.

Thanks guys but I really don't know where I am upto regards this.

The 'said' provider.... I was referred to this provider by the usual work program, if your all with me hopefully.

Since Nov last year I have being made to attend. Enforced AA meetings.

I am confused some what. If anything all this pressure has made me worse (alcohol wise).

The 'work provider' tells me I could face sanctions if I didn't attend AA meetings as a minimum requirement in order for me to receive my benefits. I have attended the AA but its just not applicable to me as I am not ready to give up the drink.

Additional info... I have MAJOR anxiety problems. I have to be intoxicated to be able to leave home.

I only leave home to attend meeting with this Rep from the Provider, get shopping (i live in a town centre) and the enforced AA meetings that is a few mins walk away.

I feel as though I am taking the **** out of the AA group I attend. They are a bunch of nice people. But I have never told them I have being instructed to attend.

I apologise if I haven't being clear here. I don't know

This particular organisation I have being tied to say if I don't do what they say its sanctions.

It's wearing me down.

Regards

Me

Abc....

It's should be my decision. Not someone telling me, to get treatment.

If someone was suffering the big C... Are they forced to get treatment if they don't want it atm. The answer to that is NO.

My condition is marginalized. That's the fact.

In any event, I did ask for people experiencing my condition to be involved in this thread.

Outsiders such yourself is affecting this. So please, leave. Thank you. If you have anything useful to post, your more than welcome to do so.

AGAIN.... I WANT THIS THREAD TO BE TRUE TO IT'S INITIAL SUBJECT FIELD.

Many thanks and regards. Sja

The question is, what bothers you? Having to attend with a work provider or having to go to AA? I agree that they're on dodgy ground forcing this on the assessment phase. But you need to ask yourself, are you willing to try to work on your addiction, or are you unwillingly to let it go? Do you see this as something being forced on you, or someone offering help to fight the addiction.

Morally, I'm kind of in two minds about this - an addict wants government help for money, but won't engage with support services, when surely support services offered at the earliest possible opportunity is best - ie during the assessment phase.

On the other hand, why are different conditions being treated differently - surely early help is best for any number of conditions, like depression, with a similar reluctance to engage with support services - but therapy or a psychiatrist's referral isn't mandated for depression.

I'm of the opinion that being unable to work because of a condition should mean that you get access to additional support in order to help get better. Being unable to work means that illness has progressed to a point that it has become unmanageable with work. So surely this should mean that priority assistance should be given - this is WRAG and even some in the support group, SHOULD be about - getting people the help they need, whether rehab or consultant referrals or CBT or counselling, or pain clinc referral - give people access to help that might improve their condition so that they could work.

Hell, maybe if I got access to the help I need I might get out of the support group and be able to work - I'd so love to be well and working again. I loved my job.

Sorry went off on a tangent there!!

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Thanks guys but I really don't know where I am upto regards this.

The 'said' provider.... I was referred to this provider by the usual work program, if your all with me hopefully.

Since Nov last year I have being made to attend. Enforced AA meetings.

I am confused some what. If anything all this pressure has made me worse (alcohol wise).

The 'work provider' tells me I could face sanctions if I didn't attend AA meetings as a minimum requirement in order for me to receive my benefits. I have attended the AA but its just not applicable to me as I am not ready to give up the drink.

Additional info... I have MAJOR anxiety problems. I have to be intoxicated to be able to leave home.

I only leave home to attend meeting with this Rep from the Provider, get shopping (i live in a town centre) and the enforced AA meetings that is a few mins walk away.

I feel as though I am taking the **** out of the AA group I attend. They are a bunch of nice people. But I have never told them I have being instructed to attend.

I apologise if I haven't being clear here. I don't know

This particular organisation I have being tied to say if I don't do what they say its sanctions.

It's wearing me down.

Regards

Me

surely the better option would be starting with trying to help your anxiety rather than dealing with the alcohol first. Have you been offered any help with the anxiety issues? My husband has severe anxiety as well, so I can relate to how difficult it is to deal with.

Hello guys

Thanks for the advice, I think albeit I am still confused.

I am not in a position as yet to quit the alcohol. I use it to manage my anxiety, I can't leave the house without being intoxicated. I only leave the house when its ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to so. Other wise I am house bound.

I am confused as to what I am asked to do regards this Work Program Provider.

Going to AA meetings are useless.

They say I have to go even thought they are well aware of my social anxiety.

I don't know if I am making sense now.

Regards

I

No AA and the like are not medical treatments. They are just emotional support and encouragement. I can't see why someone would not want to accept help with an addiction, but it is someone's right to refuse it. But the Government stand is if you want financial support from the state because of an addiction you can only receive that financial support if you are seeking and accepting support to cease the addiction. Similar criteria to JSA, if you are out of work and need financial assistance because of that you can only receive that financial support if you are seeking assistance towards finding work.

The rules are quite clear. Those on the assessment stage are not required to carry out anything.

If in the work group, yes they are required to undergo some meetings.

No one, including the DWP is allowed to make anybody take up any offer of therapy, medication or surgical treatment as a condition of receiving the benefit. They are also not allowed to subject anybody into looking for work or carrying out any activity of a work based function.

Next thing we will have is the DWP telling me that I must take my medication as prescribed - no way!! I choose to do that.

Hello guys

I am not in a position as yet to quit the alcohol. I use it to manage my anxiety, I can't leave the house without being intoxicated. I only leave the house when its ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to so. Other wise I am house bound.

Regards

I

Have you had any help or referrals for social anxiety? Is your doctor aware of it?

Hello guys

Regards

I

I was in your position for nearly 6 years. I refused to take all and any of my medication for both mental illness and physical illnesses. I even refused to attend any meetings with the GP or the psychiatrist. Instead I hit the bottle big time. I was consuming about one and a half bottles of Irish whisky a day plus anything up to 15 litres of cider.

In all of that time I received my benefits without question.

No one can make anybody give up the drink if they don't want to. Then to say that if they don't they won't get any benefits income is a step too far.

Hello

Just wondering if there is anyone out there regards the above.

Anyone out there in a similar situation?

Regards

I am not on esa for alcohol addiction but the way the country is going I soon will be..

Yes... My Doctor is fully aware of my issues. For a year he has signed me off, whilst being on ESA assessment stage with.... All of the following statements on the sick note.

ALCOHOL MISUSE... or.... ALCOHOL / ANXIETY or NERVOUS DISPOSITION.

That type of stuff.

Thanks

No one can make anybody give up the drink if they don't want to. Then to say that if they don't they won't get any benefits income is a step too far.

I do apologise for generalising here. But for many alcoholics, if you stop their benefits, they'll turn to crime. That is going to cost far more than giving them ESA each week.

I'm of the opinion that being unable to work because of a condition should mean that you get access to additional support in order to help get better.

Agreed. Some of us can't get any help at all, despite being absolutely desperate for it. A friend said that if she was a child, she'd get the help with no problem. But us adults are just left.

Where would this leave those of us incurable disabilities?

OP - if I were you, I would work on either the anxiety or alcohol problem one step at a time. Once one problem is manageable, you then work on the other.

Greg....

I am confused mate.

So your saying this work based organisation is taking the piz out of me? Whilst being on the ESA assessment rate?

I have done what they told me since Nov last year.

However they never really pressed me apart from they told me I must attend AA or its sanctions.

They stated two weeks ago if I didn't do what they say... They class that as being NON COMPLIANT... And they have the right to sanction.

I don't want to say the name of this organisation fearing they maybe watching.

Thanks and regards

Down and Out...

I attend the 'standard' work program provider briefly before being transferred to the other provider for my condition.

Well confused here to be honest

Hello,

Down and Out...

I attend the 'standard' work program provider briefly before being transferred to the other provider for my condition.

When where you placed with the work provider? Was it before claiming ESA?

Where you claiming at some time (for example) JSA, and placed with work provider during that time?

Abc..

An addict like doing what we do.

I do it to be able to survive. My anxiety is bad. My doctor referred me to a drink reduction program to treat my anxiety. That didn't work. The drink reduction program team accused me of doing the program to get drugs.

Yes answer to that was Yes... For anxiety. Not to abuse medications.

I was dismayed how this Drink Reduction Program handled me, I didn't attend again.

Abc... I have the right to refuse treatment until time I feel I need it or want it.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks