DLA - to ask for a review or leave well alone?

reallymadwoman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a review with one of my consultants yesterday and the news is not great - it seems the nerve damage in my legs is permanent and my mobility is only going to get worse, which leaves me in a bit of a dilemma.

My DLA was renewed 18 months ago, when I only just missed getting high rate mobility. I would definitely qualify now but my current award isn't due to expire until 2016. This would mean I would be one of the last to be reassessed for PIP.

So, I could ask for a reassessment and get HRM now. Or I could ask for a reassessment and lose all my DLA (I also get HRC). Or I could be awarded HRM but with a much shorter review date and have to transfer to PIP a lot earlier. Or one of the many other possible permutations.

I don't need a new car - we have a perfectly adequate one which we wouldn't want to trade in - and I don't desperately need the extra money either. On the other hand, part of me thinks I should be going for everything I can before it's all taken away.

OH thinks I should wait and see what ATOS put in my ESA report since one would hope that saying I can't walk for one benefit would be enough proof for another (he has little experience of the benefit system!) but I am more inclined to not rock the boat unnecessarily. A blue badge would be useful though.

Any and all opinions welcomed.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Yes what ATOS say for ESA won't necessarily influence at all a DLA decision. If it were me, I would wait for a review at the end of the term already stated. I don't understand why you haven't got a blue badge already though, have you applied? It shouldn't be attached to only HRM. I'd get an application in to your LA.

Yes put in for the blue badge; many pensioners get them because of limited mobility even though as pensioners they cannot apply for DLA.

As for the review for PIP, everyone between 16 and 65 will get a review some time between 2013 and 2016 irrespective of any award length. The reviews are random so you could be reviewed before even though they have awarded it until 2016 (unless you are already over 65). I got my award for life, when labour started on DLA it got changed to indefinite now it is to be reviewed before 2016. A miracle despite my condition getting worse I am apparently going to be cured.

Yes put in for the blue badge; many pensioners get them because of limited mobility even though as pensioners they cannot apply for DLA.

As for the review for PIP, everyone between 16 and 65 will get a review some time between 2013 and 2016 irrespective of any award length. The reviews are random so you could be reviewed before even though they have awarded it until 2016 (unless you are already over 65). I got my award for life, when labour started on DLA it got changed to indefinite now it is to be reviewed before 2016. A miracle despite my condition getting worse I am apparently going to be cured.

Blue Badges are now no way as easy to get without HRM as they used to be. There are very strict conditons that now apply. What you would have managed to get in 2011 isn't what you might get in 2012.

Everybody that is under 65 as at April 2013 will have their DLA claim closed at any time between April 2013 and 2016. If you are close to 65 as at April 2013, it is quite possible that you could be 67 by the time you are reviewed using PIP. However the government has said that those approaching that age will be in the first batches (2013/14).

Like you, I was given it for life (HRM & HRC) in 1994, then in 2004 it was reduced down to LRM only indefinitely on review, and in late 2011 it was increased to HRM & MRC indefinitely on review. Like you too, my health situation that gives rise to the DLA award has deteriorated gradually since 1994.

I only obtained my Blue Badge when I was given HRM in 2011. There was no point, as I saw it, in applying any earlier as if they have taken my HRM away from me what chance was there of proving substantial needs for the BB!

As for the changeover to PIP, I have had a look at the new descriptors and now knowing that ATOS will carry out the face to face assessment, I accept that I may just be lucky if I retain the lowest rate far care only. With that in mind, I am going to have to buy a car later this year and hand back the motability one early. No point in waiting for the PIP assessment, at least I have time to find the right vehicle.

DWP information says that, with the exception of anyone who will be 65 by 2016, reassessments for DLA will be done according to the review date of the current award, so an award due for review in 2016 will be reassessed in 2016.

I have spoken to someone at my local council this afternoon and to apply for a blue badge I need a letter from my consultant (not my GP) saying that I am unable to walk. They may still want me to have an assessment by their contracted occupational health provider who is of course ...... ATOS!

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

DWP information says that, with the exception of anyone who will be 65 by 2016, reassessments for DLA will be done according to the review date of the current award, so an award due for review in 2016 will be reassessed in 2016.

Would be nice if that was true, my next review date was originally after my death, since then it has been amended to unlimited with no date for review. I was under the impression DLA is being scrapped and there will be no more reviews; I may be wrong and those for review before 2016 may still get it, but the way i read it was that between 2013 and 2016 PIP will be introduced for all and DLA stopped when they are randomly selected to apply for PIP.

BTW not being able to walk will not get High rate Mobility under PIP (even those with no legs or blind, who automatically got it, no longer will). Only those unable to move by themselves will get it, being in a coma is no good though, as you wouldn't be able to benefit from it so would also not get it.

Edited by count orlok

Just been on my LA site and to get a Blue Badge one of the following must apply:

is blind or partially sighted

is profoundly or severely deaf

is without speech

has a disability, or has suffered an injury that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk

does not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms

has a learning disability

is unfit to drive for medical reasons

is registered as disabled ex-service personnel

Edited by count orlok

I have spoken to someone at my local council this afternoon and to apply for a blue badge I need a letter from my consultant (not my GP) saying that I am unable to walk. They may still want me to have an assessment by their contracted occupational health provider who is of course ...... ATOS!

Unfortunately you are wrong.

You are getting yourself confused, the DWP state that anybody of working age (16 - 64) will be re-assessed under PIP. That re-assessment will take place between 2013 and 2016.

So if someone who has their 65th birthday in May 2013, they will be re-assessed under PIP. If that same person has their 65th birthday in March 2013, they would not be re-assessed and will continue to receive DLA as before.

My comment was to say that it is entirely possible for someone to have their 65th birthday shortly after April 2013 and not be re-assessed until October 2016 when they would be 68!

Although the government has said that those in that situation will be assessed early (as soon after October 2013 as is possible) as it would not be ethical to assess them when they are 68 as old age itself could give rise to mobility and care problems which should not be considered as sufficient grounds to award a mobility or care element. Only the needs arising from a disability that arose before their 65th birthday and were in existence when they were 64 should in fact be considered.

As for those who are well below their 65th year, as you say, will be reviewed in 2016 if that is infact their normal DLA review date. Those with an indefinite award can be reviewed any time after October 2013.

Thank you for pointing out that the conditions and required proof for claiming a BB, very much now mirror those conditions that exist for HRM claimants.

It used to be a self assessment with a GP's support. Now additional evidence and possible a face to face assessmnt will be required.

In my view the same level of proof as well as having a formal face to face assessment as you would have if you were claiming DLA - HRM, should be common place. Eventually BB's should only be issued for those in receipt of the enhanced mobility element of PIP or Attendance Allowance where it can be proved to that same standard as for the enhanced mobility rate of PIP.

Would be nice if that was true, my next review date was originally after my death, since then it has been amended to unlimited with no date for review. I was under the impression DLA is being scrapped and there will be no more reviews; I may be wrong and those for review before 2016 may still get it, but the way i read it was that between 2013 and 2016 PIP will be introduced for all and DLA stopped when they are randomly selected to apply for PIP.

BTW not being able to walk will not get High rate Mobility under PIP (even those with no legs or blind, who automatically got it, no longer will). Only those unable to move by themselves will get it, being in a coma is no good though, as you wouldn't be able to benefit from it so would also not get it.

And I would add that those that get HRM on the basis of not or virtually not able to walk more than 50 metres without discomfort will only qualify for the same enhanced rate under PIP if they additionally suffer from a mental illness that makes it difficult or impossible for them to understand how to get from point A to point B on their own and without help from another person to guide them.

Just been on my LA site and to get a Blue Badge one of the following must apply:

is blind or partially sighted

is profoundly or severely deaf

is without speech

has a disability, or has suffered an injury that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk

does not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms

has a learning disability

is unfit to drive for medical reasons

is registered as disabled ex-service personnel

Most people claim under that category. Proving it is another matter requiring you to produce the same level of evidence that you would have to submit for a HRM award as well as to pass a face to face assessment.

is unfit to drive for medical reasons I've just noticed that condition - rather strange - being able to walk with no problem yet someone who for medical reasons (be it the drugs they are taking or a condition that doesn't create any care or mobility needs) would get a BB!!

Why if they can walk anyhow? That just doesn't make any sense to me unless I am missing something.

According to the list on the DVLA website, I shouldn't be driving due to (a) long term Morphine medication, (b) difficult to control Type 1 diabetes and © long term medication for a psychiatric conditon.

I never knew that, a job for tomorrow - must ring DVLA!!!!

I wonder how many others aer driving illegally but not realising it?

Shocked!!

Edited by hensteeth

From what I have read it has not been decided which level of mobility allowance will be needed to be in the Motability scheme, or for that matter what the levels of payment are. The same with the new criteria for the blue badge. The only place I have seen a statement is Motability, who say only the enhanced rate will count.

The new standard rate is more or less equal to the present high rate. The kind of modification needed to allow people that cannot move by themselves to drive would I think be prohibitively expensive. We are not just talking WAVs here, I would imagine one would need a sophisticated FBW system with a joystick like that used in Airbuses.

You are getting yourself confused, the DWP state that anybody of working age (16 - 64) willbe re-assessed under PIP. That re-assessment will take place between 2013 and 2016.

Way I read it is over the 3 year period when it there turn peoples DLA will Stop and they will invited to put in a claim for PIP from the day there DLA ceases.

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Way I read it is over the 3 year period when it there turn peoples DLA will Stop and they will invited to put in a claim for PIP from the day there DLA ceases.

I too read it that way. Those with a review date of their DLA that sits somewhere between 2013 and 2016 will be assessed for PIP on that review date. Those that have an indefinite DLA award will be called for assessment at any time during the period 2013 - 2016, those that are close to their 65th birthday after April 2013 will be called asap and those that have a review date beyond 2016 will be called for review towards the latter end, probably 2016.

From what I have read it has not been decided which level of mobility allowance will be needed to be in the Motability scheme, or for that matter what the levels of payment are. The same with the new criteria for the blue badge. The only place I have seen a statement is Motability, who say only the enhanced rate will count.

The new standard rate is more or less equal to the present high rate. The kind of modification needed to allow people that cannot move by themselves to drive would I think be prohibitively expensive. We are not just talking WAVs here, I would imagine one would need a sophisticated FBW system with a joystick like that used in Airbuses.

I feel that Motability have it right. Only those in the enhanced rate group will be entitled to a motability car and have an automatic entitlement to a BB.

Those on the standard rate, and which as you state does represent the old DLA HRM, will be downgraded.

Doing away with the current LRM is a cert, What the government have done is to make the new PIP - Enhanced Rate of mobility a completely new category which bears no relationship to the old HRM. It will be a lot harder to qualify for, with only a few making it there. Those currently receiving HRM will probably see their award under PIP become the standard rate.

No one has really admitted what the numbers will be like, but for those that cannot walk or virtually cannot walk the 50 metres it may well be upwards of 60%.

Most people claim under that category. Proving it is another matter requiring you to produce the same level of evidence that you would have to submit for a HRM award as well as to pass a face to face assessment.

is unfit to drive for medical reasons I've just noticed that condition - rather strange - being able to walk with no problem yet someone who for medical reasons (be it the drugs they are taking or a condition that doesn't create any care or mobility needs) would get a BB!!

Why if they can walk anyhow? That just doesn't make any sense to me unless I am missing something.

According to the list on the DVLA website, I shouldn't be driving due to (a) long term Morphine medication, (b) difficult to control Type 1 diabetes and © long term medication for a psychiatric conditon.

I never knew that, a job for tomorrow - must ring DVLA!!!!

I wonder how many others aer driving illegally but not realising it?

Shocked!!

Also invalidates your insurance.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I too read it that way. Those with a review date of their DLA that sits somewhere between 2013 and 2016 will be assessed for PIP on that review date. Those that have an indefinite DLA award will be called for assessment at any time during the period 2013 - 2016, those that are close to their 65th birthday after April 2013 will be called asap and those that have a review date beyond 2016 will be called for review towards the latter end, probably 2016.

Existing claimants

There is no automatic transfer from Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to Personal Independence Payment. Between October 2013 and March 2016 we will write to claimants already getting DLA to invite them to make a claim for Personal Independence Payment. They will be individually assessed against the new entitlement criteria.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/disability/personal-independence-payment/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for reallymadwoman Original question

Leave well alone

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Just checked my driving license; because of my condition I am only aloud to drive cars and motorbikes (last time I rode a bike I had to be helped on and off it), but I have loads more classes on there I'm no longer aloud to drive. Not quite sure what to do.

Also invalidates your insurance.

Yes, the DVLA told me that today!!!

I have a motability car and I'm the only driver.

My wife can't drive, and we have no family close by. So it looks like the worry about trying to keep the HRM - into PIP is something of the past - the car will now have to go back.

Damn!!!

Just checked my driving license; because of my condition I am only aloud to drive cars and motorbikes (last time I rode a bike I had to be helped on and off it), but I have loads more classes on there I'm no longer aloud to drive. Not quite sure what to do.

According to the DVLA website and what they have told me today, with what is wrong with me and the drugs that I am taking, I'm not even allowed to ride a moped!!!

Last time I rode a bike was 19 years ago. I thought I was a born again rocker. Bought myself a second hand Suzuki RD 250 twin 2 stroke. Took it out of the village pottering at 28mph, then on to an open derestricted open road, opened the throttle, the tacho started to register and the bloody front wheel came up!!!!

That was it, first farm gate I came to pulled up switched off and smoked 2 fags with shaking hands. Managed to get back home at 25mph, put it in the garage never for it to see the light of day again. Eventually gave it away.

Snap, I wheelied an RD 250 into a parked car once, was over 30 years ago. It was a Yamaha though the Suzuki twin was a GT250. Had loads of accidents on other bikes before that, which is part of the reason i have the problems I do

Edited by count orlok