• Tweets

• Simon Case was at the Covid inquiry yesterday. Finally. ‘Eat out to help out’ launched without telling official in charge, Covid inquiry hears | Covid inquiry | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Simon Case, who was responsible for Covid policy at time, calls Boris Johnson’s Downing Street the ‘worst governing ever seen’  
    • I think for the moment you will have to wait for the return of the dress to you And then take some decent photographs which will show the damage very clearly. You will have to provide these to parcel to go but also you will need them as evidence for the court if that's the way this matter goes . Let us know when you get the dress and you have the photographs. It would be helpful to see the photographs here. In the meantime I suggest that you start reading as many of the stories on the subforum as you can manage in 2 or 3 days and that means quite a lot. In particular read the pinned posts at the top of the subforum which will explain the principles involved which you will probably have to use if you bring the matter to court. When you have done the reading, when you have received the dress and when you have the photographs then come back here and we can go to the next step      
    • Solid blocks of text are very difficult for people to follow and especially when they are using small screens such as telephones. This discourages people from giving you the kind of help that you need. Please will you make sure that your posts are properly spaced and punctuated in future.  I have done this one for you on this occasion
    • Ok I got the gov gateway set up with 12 digit and a password, I've tried to log in and it requested ID passport, driving licence etc, No won't give me access I've entered twice and my partner double checked. I've tried the moneyclaim.gov.uk that won't, I've rang the help number 20 min unanswered call, I've emailed the help line on the claim form no answer and I've emailed government gateway help. Time running out H
    • I sold my brand new, unaltered wedding dress on Still White. I picked it up from the wedding shop 2-3 weeks before shipping and it was in perfect condition. It was packaged in the protective bag that it was sold to me in and in 2 boxes. I shipped it with UPS via Parcel2Go and I paid around £80 extra for package protection due to the high value of the dress and expected it to be handled with care. The package was just left on the woman's doorstep (I have a photo of this), therefore being subject to all the elements, and I have now had a complaint from the woman that there is yellow staining on the lace of the dress due to the poor handling of the package and she is now requesting a refund. It clearly hasn't been transported correctly or with care and the dress has now been damaged in transit. It cost a lot to ship it due to the extra protection I took out and I expected that it would have been flagged as high value goods. I raised a claim with Parcel2Go as it is now damaged, which will affect my ability to resell it and they have rejected it on the basis that the packaging looks in “perfect condition” (they cannot tell this from the photos given that the photos are from the buyer after it had been opened) and therefore couldn’t have damaged the dress. I wouldn’t have bothered paying extra for the insurance if it wasn’t going to actually help me! Any advice would be really appreciated as I’m now massively out of pocket with a damaged, unsellable dress on its way back to me! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Wilkin Chapmen Solicitors & Redbridge council going for BK on CTAX debt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4075 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope someone can advise?

Last year I owed on my council tax, [2011]

In December I received a notice informing me of pending bankruptcy & a hearing date for the outstanding council tax plus costs.

I tried to make monthly payments but they were nearly £400, as the outstanding amount was over £2000,

there was no way I wanted to be made bankrupt over council tax, and fortunately family lent me the money to reduce the debt to under £700.

The company dealing with it on behalf of the council is wilkin chapman grange,

I spoke to them and informed them that as the debt was now under £700

could they ask to have the bankruptcy petition dismissed,

after numerous emails back and forth, they did this,

and I received a letter informing me that the court has ordered that the bankruptcy petition had been dismissed.

Which I was so relieved at.

Now I have a letter from wilkin chapman grange informing me that I owe £1,945.55 in costs to them.

This is just never ending and I dont know what to do?

This years council tax is being paid via direct debit and i am not in any debt to the council at all now.

I hope someone

can help?

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I fell behind with my council tax payments a couple of years ago, a

to cut a long story short this was due to my loss of employment.

The council handed the case over to Wilkin Chapmen Solicitors & after many threatening letters of bankruptcy

& no help from the council I managed to borow some money and paid £2500 including what I thought was charges.

I have now been hit with another threatening letter requesting the sun of £1900 in charges.

I did try to set up a repayment plan but they wouldn't take no less that £360.00 per month,

I just couldn't afford this & they insisted it be paid direct to Wilkin chapman,

now I have defaulted on the payment plan, which is all charges as the council tax has all been paid back,

& they are threatening bankruptcy,

I am waiting to hear back from the council.

My other problem is that the council tax is in my husbands name, & it is me who pays.

I hope someone can help? I have 7 days to respond.

Thank you

two threads merged

as well as lots of other duplicate threads you have on many other issues

try to always keep to one thread per debt/issue...

now, i'm not exactly sure if you should be paying these charges for a failed BK attempt anyhow

i think we need a wee bit more on the story

and to why the coucil decided to try and make your BK

when normally they just use bailiffs?

i'm puzzled here

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can you start with the CT issue..and explain way the Council went for bankruptcy for this? It is most unusual for any Council to take this route.

There are ways to get you back on track with this but we will need a clearer picture.Can you supply us with the basics just tostart with.

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - if they were passed on for enforcement and the dates this was done.

Hi I have some info

1. Liability order date was 02 June 2011. Amount £702.96

2. Unpaid court costs 14 June 2012 Amount £1,242.60 (these costs relate to the above case.

3. Total Debt 1,945.55

I have spoken to Redbridge council & they have said as long as the payment of £1,945.55 is paid by 28/3/13 they will drop the bankruptcy petition due on that day 28th March.

The amount that is actually owing on council tax is £702.96 I can't believe what they have added as charges, & they don't seem to want to help.

I have been told that if a debt is £700 or under a bankruptcy can't be brought.

So I was thinking that my only option is to try & get the £1,242.60 paid by March & then request that the bankruptcy is dismissed.

I hope someone can help & advise?

Thank you

Sorry, I realise now that you had said that this was Redbridge.

Some LA's take enforcement action by way of bankruptcy petition and Redbridge is one such council. In the ealrier correspondence from Redbridge did they advise you of the costs element if they pursued BR?

You jave said that the LO was for approx £2,000 and that you managed to bring the debt to below the BR level of £700 BEFORE the hearing date.

How many hearing dates did you have? Were any other hearings adjourned?

The court dismissed the application and it would seem that you were not at court and the court awarded costs to the solicitor. Do you know what costs the court awarded? Most solicitors would have provided a schedule to the court?

Hi, thank you for your time,

I was never made aware of the costs involved by Redbridge or wilkinchapam & I have all the emails between my self and Wilkin chapman, that was the reason I reduced the debt to £700, to avoid bankruptcy, & then as far as I was concerned it was more affordable tp pay, I stated this all in the emails to Wilkin Chapman when I asked for the petition to be dismissed, & then out of the blue they hit me with these charges.

Details of the LO

Complaint date 16 May 2011

Liability Order 2 June 2011

Council Tax: 1 Apr11 to 31 March 12. £1405.35

Costs £115.00

Less Paid. £817.40

Balance. £702.95

Costs. £1,242.60

Total Balance Outstanding. £1,945.55

That's all the info I have, that was sent to me, as far as I am aware none were adjourned they were dismissed.

The bankruptcy petition was filed on the29th December 2011, & it was dismissed.

Now they are saying they are reinstating it as there is an outstanding balance.

I tried always to come to a reasonable repayment, but they wanted over £300 per month.

"Costs. £1,242.60" WHAT ???

Seems like somebody is having a laugh, have they supplied a breakdown of these charges?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Seems like somebody is having a laugh, have they supplied a breakdown of these charges?

I think a big part of the costs, may be the fee for applying to make some one BR about £750.00 I think?

Leaky

Sorry reply to Lamma

Hi thanks for all your replys, I just can't. get my head round it.

What I listed above is all they have given me.

I just think it may be better to try & pay the £1,242.60 & then ask that the bankruptcy petition is dismissed, as a bankruptcy can't be brought if the debt is £700 or under.

I've emailed Wilkin Chapman today, & they haven't even replied.

I feel like I'm hitting my head against the wall.

This firm are used by a number of local authorities and the fees that they charge would normally be agreed in the contract with the council. I would strongly suggest that a FORMAL COMPLAINT is made to the Chief Executive at the council because...by taking the route of bankruptcy, the fees that are charged are more than the original debt and this should form the basis of your complaint.

I would suggest as well that you call the court to ask what order they made regarding costs.

Please follow TT's advice and phone the court to ask if there was an order made awarding costs at the time the BR petition was dismissed....if not then they can go whistle dixie while waiting for the moon to turn to cheese...if there is an order to costs those costs can be challenged.

WD

Aren't we talking about what should be two separate issues. One is for the council tax owed and the other is for the charges. Surely they cannot lump the two together as the higher costs of about £1300 are related to what the council has paid the solicitor. The £700 is council tax plus associated charges.

Aren't we talking about what should be two separate issues. One is for the council tax owed and the other is for the charges. Surely they cannot lump the two together as the higher costs of about £1300 are related to what the council has paid the solicitor. The £700 is council tax plus associated charges.

Hence the reason for a breakdown of the charges being needed ...but it is the fact the solicitors has given just 7 days to reply that puts the emphasis on finding out if they have an order from the Court that actually granted them these 'costs' or is it a case the BR was dismissed and the bill of costs was not entertained?

Hence the reason for a breakdown of the charges being needed ...but it is the fact the solicitors has given just 7 days to reply that puts the emphasis on finding out if they have an order from the Court that actually granted them these 'costs' or is it a case the BR was dismissed and the bill of costs was not entertained?

If the cfosts were not granted BY THE COURT, then the solicitors are on a sticky wicket, and are being naughty enough to be cruising into Formal complaint territoryso do as TT suggested do the right thing phone the court.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!