feedback from interview says I don't have the skills but i'm qualified?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently got feedback from a interview that said "I wasn't sure you were so confident with Excel". I have been to college and gained good marks in units using Excel, and I'm pretty sure I completed all the tasks he asked me to using Excel.

It makes me wonder what is the point of going to college to gain certificates if a Interviewer can just say you are no good based on a 2 minute test?

Every employee at my firm had to pass a competency test before being offered a position.

When recruiting for one role, the vast majority of applicants had put "competent in Microsoft Office" but when it came to the competency test, they didn't reach the standard required for the firm. Perhaps the standard they were looking for was higher than that of the qualification you have. Depending on the qualification you have, the required standard can be very basic, but the standard required when in the actual office environment can be higher.

My qualification is BTEC HNC in Business Computing, that was the course I learned Excel on. I went on to gain a degree in Multimedia Computing, and then a post grad diploma in Network Systems. All the test involved was a link to a web page, the original price of a tv set, and the price with a 18% mark up, which as far as I could tell I did without any problems. I'm thinking of sending him another email asking what i did wrong, can he say I'm not confident with Excel when I have a recognized qualification?

Can he say I'm not confident with Excel when I have a recognized qualification?

Yes, for the reasons outlined above. The sad fact is that an employer can hire whoever they wish and turn down applicants for any reason they wish (provided there is no discrimination).

Perhaps there was another reason, and that was just an excuse.

Well he did ask me how old I was, which they are not supposed to do now (here in the UK at least), although I doubt that was it. Maybe he just hired someone young and fit? (joking)

When situations like this have happened to me in the past, I just think to myself... Would I really want to work for a company like that and the answer is usually NO!

There are many reasons why you might not have been hired e.g the job was already earmarked for someone else, the interviewer didn't like the colour of the top you were wearing etc etc

I'm a big believer in what's for you won't pass you by; you're obviously meant for better things.

Gbarbm

Id use it as a reason to bone up on the issue I wasnt so hot on.

Many people have the basics in Excel but then it can get very advanced, writing Macros in VB's etc..depends on what they were looking for.