style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I was made BR in January this year;

My employer has just informed me that I am entitled to voluntary redundancy, which I am seriously considering due to personal reasons. (referred to in other threads)

I have been separated from my wife for two years and am wondering if, firstly the OR will claim any payment that I get and secondly, would my wife (and two dependent children) be entitled to half of this payment?

Here you go, this is taking from the Insokvency Service technical manual:

An individuals entitlement to receive redundancy and associated compensation arises on the termination of their contract of employment by reason of redundancy. The redundancy payment represents compensation for loss of a job.

Where the employment has ended prior to the date of the bankruptcy order, but the bankrupt is awaiting receipt of the monies, then this is an asset which vests in the official receiver as trustee. If a bankrupt has received notice of redundancy, but not yet had employment terminated at the date of the bankruptcy order, then the right to receive a redundancy payment has not arisen. Any redundancy monies paid after the bankruptcy order has been made but before the date of discharge does not vest in the official receiver as trustee but may be claimed as after acquired property. The trustee must make a claim to after acquired property within 42 days of becoming aware of that property. The official receiver must satisfied that the amount claimed as after acquired property does not include any amount payable in respect of wages received whilst an individual works out a notice period, holiday pay or arrears of wages. Amounts received in respect of such payments should be included in any assessment for an income payments agreement/order.

Sequenci, I don't really follow that, it seems to say No, the OR cant touch it, but then says that they can 'claim' it.

Am I reading it right?

It means that there is not an automatic right to it but there can be a claim on it once it is known about (thats how I read it) Any chance of the redundancy being put off until after next Jan?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

What it means is that if your date of redundancy is before your discharge date then the OR has a right to claim the money, the rest of it is just about the technical process of doing the claiming

OK, thanks all, I think the process will be in about September!

Are there no legal channels that my ex could follow to claim some of the redundancy payment?

Edited by TheUmp