Transfer Deeds to my Mum following dads death

stevew48
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My Father-in-law passed away on 24th May 2012 and is survived by his spouse. He left a will leaving all his estate to his wife and as the value is under IHT we will be applying for probate ourselves. My ex wife and I are the executors of the will. All seems straight forward except that his wife does not appear on the deeds. The house was buit in 1960 and they have lived in it ever since. We have checked on the Land registry website and it comes up no details held.

We have the house deeds so what is the next action. I assume we have to wait for probate first ?

Many thanks

Stevew48

It may not have been registered as prior to 1998 compulsary registration did not apply unless the property was sold. There are forms availible from the land registry to complete for a first registration this can be done either by yorself or a licensed conveyor or solicitor. it is not uncommon to have unregisterd land still as a lot of land is never sold or mortgaged (large estates/church property etc) In 1960 registration was not compulsary so as your in laws have always lived there there would have been no call to register.

Look at the Land Registry website or give them a ring they are very helpful

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.