• Tweets

• Morning dx and thank you for your message.   With regards to your comment about them not needing to produce the deed, the additional directions ordered by the judge included 'a copy of any assignment o the debt or agreement relied upon'  so that is why I thought that point was relevant?
    • Sorry for the long post but I don't want to miss out any relevant information: My wife bought a car from Trade Centre UK and have been having nothing but trouble with it. Unfortunately we paid of the finance used to buy the car as we weren't expecting this much trouble with the car as we we though we would have protection as buying from a dealer. We are wondering if we can still reject the vehicle since the finance plan has been paid off. Timeline is as follows: 13/12/2023 -15/12/2023 Bought car from Trade Centre UK for £10548 £2000 deposit paid on credit card on 13/12/2023 £8548 on finance from Moneybarn (arranged through Trade Centre UK). picked up car on 15/12/2023 Also bought lifetime warranty for £50/month 25/12/2023 Engine Management Light comes on. The AA called out and diagnosed the following error codes: P0133 - Lambda sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Slow reaction. Error sporadic P0135 - Lambda sensor heat. circ.(bank1,sensor1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Component defective Due to it being Christmas took a few days to get through to them but they booked me in for 28/12/2023 to run their own diagnostics. 28/12/2023 Took car in to Trade Centre so could check the car – They agreed it was the Oxygen Sensor and Booked me in for repair on 30/01/2024. I was told they had no earlier slots, and I would be fine to carry on driving car when I said I was afraid of problem worse. During diagnosing the problem, they reset the Engine Management Light. During drive home light comes back on. 29/12/2023 - 29/01/2024 I carry on driving the car but closer to the date, engine goes to reduced power every now and again – not being a mechanic I presumed that this was due to above fault. 20/01/2024 Not expecting any more problems paid off the finance on the car using personal loan from bank with lower interest rate. 30/01/2024 Trade Centre replace to O2 sensor (They also take it on a roughly 60mile road trip which seems a bit excessive to me – I can’t prove this as something prompted me take a picture of milage when I handed car in but I forgot take one on collection – only remembered next day.) 06/02/2024 Engine goes in reduced power mode again and engine management light comes on – Thinking the Trade centre’s 28 day warranty period was over I booked the car the into local garage for the next day to get problem fixed under the lifetime warranty package. Fault seems to clear after engine was switched off. 07/02/2024 In the Morning, I take it to local garage who say as the light gone off – the warranty company is unlikely to cover the cost of the repair or diagnostics and recommend I contact them when the light comes back on. In the evening the light comes back on and luckily I manage to get it back to the garage just before it shuts for the day. 08/02/2024 The Garage sends me a diagnostics video showing a lot error codes been picked up by their diagnostics machine including codes for Oxygen sensor and Nox Sensors, Accelerator pedal and several more. Video also shows EGR Hose not connected to the intake manifold properly, they believed this was confusing the onboard system as it is unlikely this many sensors would trigger at same the time but they couldn’t be certain until they repaired the hose. 13/02/2024 Finally get the car back as it took a while to get approval and payment for the repairs from the Warranty company. Garage told me to keep an eye the car as errors had cleared with the hose but couldn’t 100% certain that’s what caused the problem. 06/03/2024 Engine management light comes on again. Fed up I go into Trade Centre as I was just around the corner when it happened and asked them how to reject the car or have the problem fixed. They insist that as it’s over 28 days I need to get the car fixed under the warranty package I purchased and they could no longer fix the car as it was over 28 days. When I tried telling them it appeared to be the same or related problem they said they couldn’t help as I hadn’t contacted them earlier. I asked them if they were willing to connect the car to the diagnostics machine and tell me what the problem was, as a goodwill gesture, which he agreed to do and took the car to the back He came back around 30 minutes later and said they took a look at the sensor they replaced previously and there was nothing wrong with it and engine management light went off when they removed the sensor to check it. When I asked what the error code he couldn’t give me an exact fault but the said it one of the problems I told him earlier (Accelerator pedal). I have this visit audio recorded on my phone – I informed the reps I was recording several times. As the light wasn’t on, local garage couldn’t book me for a repair under warranty. 07/03/2024 Light came on so managed to book back into local garage for the 12/03/2024 Whilst waiting to take car into garage, I borrowed a OBD sensor and scanned for errors on the car. This showed the following errors: P11BE – Manufacturer specific code (Google showed this to be NOX sensor) P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow 12/03/2024 Took car to local garage and the confirmed the above errors. This leads me to believe that either Trade Centre UK reps lied and just reset the light or just didn’t check properly (Obviously I am unable to prove this) 22/03/2024 Finally got the car back as according to garage, the warranty company took a long to time to pay for the repairs 28/04/2024 Engine management Light has come back on. Using the borrowed OBD scanner I am getting the following codes: P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow P2138 - Accelerator Position Sensors (G79) / (G185): Implausible Correlation I have not yet booked into a garage as I wanted to see what my rights are in terms of rejecting the car as to me the faults seem related. I can’t keep using taxi or train to get to work every time the car goes into the garage as it is getting very expensive. Am I right in thinking that they have used up their chance to repair when they conducted the repair end of January or when they refused to repair it in February ? If I am still able to reject the vehicle could you point to any sample letters or emails I can use. Thankyou for your advice on my next steps.
    • Ok noted about the screenshot uploads. In terms of screwing up I had one previous ticket that defaulted and ended up in a CCJ from Southend airport because for some reason during COVID I didn't receive their claim form just a notice of default. This hospital ticket was the 2nd ticket that went to CCJ due to a lack of knowledge of the process. Maybe it's easier just to pay them in future I'm thinking though, I don't get them very often anyway
    • Car maker takes a hit from weakening demand and price war in the world's largest electric vehicle market.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Friend Committing Benefit Fraud

stardust1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Delivering Universal Credit

The DWP announced that Universal Credit will be delivered by the best performing DWP and Tax Credit processing centres. An announcement about the selection of these sites was made by the DWP on 28th February 2012.[8]

From this it is clear that local authorities, who currently deliver Housing Benefit (one of the key legacy benefits which will be incorporated into Universal Credit), will not have a core role in delivering Universal Credit. However, the Government has started to recognise that there may be useful roles for local authorities in helping people to access the services within Universal Credit.[9]

Everything all in then, anyone know of any exceptions.

I heard Carers Allowance and of course PIP, aka DLA

And from April 2013 PIP is rolled out,a recipe for disaster while ATOS continue to struggle with the medicals and the appeal system grinds to a halt :!:

Not to mention Universal Credit

It would be so much easier to do one benefit and wait until everyone's been transferred over.

What a sensible Idea.

Hang on politicians dont do sensible things,do they ?

Delivering Universal Credit

The DWP announced that Universal Credit will be delivered by the best performing DWP and Tax Credit processing centres. An announcement about the selection of these sites was made by the DWP on 28th February 2012.[8]

From this it is clear that local authorities, who currently deliver Housing Benefit (one of the key legacy benefits which will be incorporated into Universal Credit), will not have a core role in delivering Universal Credit. However, the Government has started to recognise that there may be useful roles for local authorities in helping people to access the services within Universal Credit.[9]

Everything all in then, anyone know of any exceptions.

I heard Carers Allowance and of course PIP, aka DLA

All in one,that's a joke !

If only.....

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

And for the Self Employed

When implemented, Universal Credit will drastically affect the low-paid self employed as well as anyone who makes a tax loss.[2] It is proposed that Universal Credits, like the current Working Tax Credits, will be "limited to those who exceed the 'floor of assumed income'" based on the National Minimum Wage.[3] As well as directly affecting self-employed people, excluded from any set minimum wage, it could also affect employees who receive below the minimum wage, hitting the poorest workers the hardest (however no legal workers should be earning below minimum wage, so only illegal workers would be affected).mployed

no more trading at a loss then.

More people would probably be unemployed then. They'll get more money from benefits than they would if they were self employed and brining in small amounts each month. I'm sure I read that if you're self-employed, you're not legally entitled to the minimum wage? Whereas if you employ someone, you must pay the minimum wage.

Also, what happens to those on apprenticeships? In the first year, you only get around £2.65 an hour.

I for one am relieved that Local authories won't be doing the working out of these benefits with Universal credit. Ours is useless for a start. I expect DWP staff are properly trained, where as LA staff are not.

The self employed bits a worry though, mine works out at about 3.33 an hour at the moment :???:

I for one am relieved that Local authories won't be doing the working out of these benefits with Universal credit. Ours is useless for a start. I expect DWP staff are properly trained, where as LA staff are not.

The self employed bits a worry though, mine works out at about 3.33 an hour at the moment :???:

My experience is exactly the opposite: my LA were approachable, quick on the ball, and most-of-all human when dealing with the overpayment that we disclosed to them. They were also far quicker in their calculations. I think that the DWP/LA staff on here have a pretty thankless job (and I should take an opportunity to thank you all for the advice you post), but in my experience, our LA was superior in just about every aspect to our dealings with the DWP.

I wouldn't necessarily put this discrepancy down to incompetence, but perhaps more down to the enormous, frustrating bureaucratic machine that surrounds welfare and benefits. I can only imagine what it is like working within these government offices for the overworked/underpaid staff.

As for Universal Credit clearing it up, well, I understand there is a need for change; my suspicion is that the actual cost of instituting deep-seated, meaningful changes to the benefits system would cost the government far more than they (or any government) would be willing to pay. My suspicion is not only that the Universal Credit is effectively a band-aid for a gunshot wound, but that it will add yet more layers of bureaucracy for frontline staff.

I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong.

Exactly DWP own figures show that much of their so called fraud reports are in fact malicious in nature. Too many people seem to use it to aid their own personal vendettas and agendas and so having to put your name against such a thing would hopefully deter that kind of petty behavior imo.

This needs addressing, I dont understand why it can be anonymous. This to me is simpyl so they can maximise reports and as such kick more people of benefits even if its done wrongly.

If someone 'thinks' someone may be doing fraud they shouldnt report it as its only a matter of opinion and no proof.

If someone knows someone is doing fraud and has proof then they shouldnt worry about putting their name in, the name should still be kept confidential from the claimant anyway like a witness is to a crime.

Ok I still havent read every post but here is my bits.

How would someone know someone is claiming benefits such as a neighbour, does that neighbour brag about it as if they proud? none of my neighbours know I am claiming unless they have got my post because its not something I brag, I keep it to myself. Or is it a case people just assume (guess) because they dont see that person going to work. How do they know what that person does, do they get obsessed watching them all day? I hope the point of these questions is seen.

In terms of illnesses for sickness benefits like IB, to others it may seem minor what people claim for but there is 2 things to consider here.

1 - everyone is different, a condition will affect one person in a minor way and in a major way another person. Not all conditions are present 24/7 and not all are visible.

2 - Minor conditions can have major affect on life without proper treatment so alot is also down to getting proper healthcare, obviously the patient has a responsibility to report the condition to a doctor, but after that the doctor needs to properly diagnose and give proper treatment, my experience of GPs suggests this doesnt always happen. There seems to be a huge variance between good and bad GPs as well as health authorities.

like i said in my post, i imagine people who work and pay tax who pay for those on benefits legitimately don't mind. yeah people who get benefits may have taxes taken too, last month, £440 tax was taken from my wages, primarily to pay for those whose choose not to work, i would of like to of spent that on my family, i worked for it. . how much in taxes do those who get benefits get taken from them ?

At least try to post facts.

There is no way such a big % of the tax intake is spent on benefit fraud. Its actually approx 1-2% of total benefit expenditure, and in addition to that the benefit expenditure out of total government expense is not the majority o spending either so out of total tax its about 0.5p in the £.

So if your tax bill is £440 of your wages then its nearer to fact to say £2.20 of that went on benefit fraud.

Also I feel alot of people dont know what true struggling is.

My sister says she struggles and she earns 19k a year, she just had a weekend out to skegness and has all new nice plush furniture in her bungalow, goes out 3-4 times a week. She has just told me she cant buy my food anymore and can only pay me back £10 a month (she owes me money), she also has a partner who lives with his parents on another 14k a year who helps her with bills.

Yet even when I was getting my benefits I was only getting approx 7k a year and got by on it.

Look in the news, record sales of iphones, ipads etc. alot of people arent poor, they just moaning and tight with their money and are very anti tax. Granted some are of course but I feel a lot of it is people just playing poor or thinking they poor comparing themselves to rich people.

My experience is exactly the opposite: my LA were approachable, quick on the ball, and most-of-all human when dealing with the overpayment that we disclosed to them. They were also far quicker in their calculations. I think that the DWP/LA staff on here have a pretty thankless job (and I should take an opportunity to thank you all for the advice you post), but in my experience, our LA was superior in just about every aspect to our dealings with the DWP.

I wouldn't necessarily put this discrepancy down to incompetence, but perhaps more down to the enormous, frustrating bureaucratic machine that surrounds welfare and benefits. I can only imagine what it is like working within these government offices for the overworked/underpaid staff.

As for Universal Credit clearing it up, well, I understand there is a need for change; my suspicion is that the actual cost of instituting deep-seated, meaningful changes to the benefits system would cost the government far more than they (or any government) would be willing to pay. My suspicion is not only that the Universal Credit is effectively a band-aid for a gunshot wound, but that it will add yet more layers of bureaucracy for frontline staff.

I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong.

Gosh I wish mine were that good :-( They royally messed my claim up, & I expect it is a thankless job, but so are most jobs, at least my online shopper job..the worst I could do to someone was miss a few food items off their shopping delivery, the incompitance of the council have put me in debt for the next 5 years now instead of 3 (long story) Mistakes do happen, but our LA make a lot more than average.

And I was down there today to put a claim in again for housing benefit, after not being on it for just over a year. And I am petrified. But I have no choice now if I want to build up a self employed business. And whilst I still have teenagers & get working tax credits etc, now is the time to do it.

I have a self employed interview on friday at the housing benefit. But I seriously am scared about claiming off them in case something goes wrong again. And hope I have done the right thing doing this now.

They couldn't get my claim right when I was employed set hours a week & they had a works contract in front of them. What's gonna happen with a varying income. I must be bonkers! :!:

Gosh I wish mine were that good :-( They royally messed my claim up, & I expect it is a thankless job, but so are most jobs, at least my online shopper job..the worst I could do to someone was miss a few food items off their shopping delivery, the incompitance of the council have put me in debt for the next 5 years now instead of 3 (long story) Mistakes do happen, but our LA make a lot more than average.

And I was down there today to put a claim in again for housing benefit, after not being on it for just over a year. And I am petrified. But I have no choice now if I want to build up a self employed business. And whilst I still have teenagers & get working tax credits etc, now is the time to do it.

I have a self employed interview on friday at the housing benefit. But I seriously am scared about claiming off them in case something goes wrong again. And hope I have done the right thing doing this now.

They couldn't get my claim right when I was employed set hours a week & they had a works contract in front of them. What's gonna happen with a varying income. I must be bonkers! :!:

Please don't misconstrue what I said as an attack on you, Jadeybags: you've clearly been through a horrendous experience, and dragged through the ringer because of someone else's incompetence. Maybe you should have a welfare right's adviser check your new claim to put your mind at rest? (I'm sure you've thought of that already.)

I don't think any of this was envisaged by Mr Attlee, Labour's 1945 Prime Minister. Remember there were tens of thousands of fatherless families at the end of the war and the benefits (along with child allowance) was brought in to ease their lot. I don't think they were ever intended as a permanent entitlement.

The state it's in now is because instead of making a new paper, they (along with all legistlation) just keep adding bits on here and taking a bit off there until the whole thing is just one big mess and not understood by anyone.

Just think how rich this country would be without all these benefits, they could scrap business rates and taxes and that would give companies more money to invest and employ. There could be full employment even in todays climate.

taxes would still exist.

also benefits is enforced money circulation, what do I mean by that?

in a unregulated environmnet money would end up sitting in ank accounts of the richest, and recessions would still exist.

tax and giving out to the poor forces money to be spread out and as such improves an economy as it gets spent in shops.

think about it.

if you had 1 billion pounds.

which is better for economy.

1 - leave it with 1 wealth person who spends 2% of it and saves the rest.

2 - give 1 million poor people £1000 each, they spend all of it so 100% of it is circulated round the economy.

Worried33 totally agree with you that some people dont know what struggling is, been there done and am now in the fortunate position of being ok financially.

.That is probably why I get annoyed with those few people in society who think we all owe them a living and they dont have to do anything to help themselves, and those who have just learnt to play the system and seem proud of it, such as the OPs friend.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

in the olden days the dole was enough to live on including rent (not in luxury, but enough) and basic rate tax was 33%. Now the dole is not enough to live on and basic rate tax is only 20%, yet people moan about the poor having too much, how many of the moaners could live on JSA, I certainly couldn't. I only manage on my ESA because I have a partner.

Worried33 totally agree with you that some people dont know what struggling is, been there done and am now in the fortunate position of being ok financially.

.That is probably why I get annoyed with those few people in society who think we all owe them a living and they dont have to do anything to help themselves, and those who have just learnt to play the system and seem proud of it, such as the OPs friend.

I agree and to be clear I am not condoning people who live on welfare out of a choice in lifestyle. But was trying to counter some what I seen as unfair and misleading posts like the £440 all going to welfare claimants and labeling people as fraudelent without proof.

The OP has the chance to post some more info about the neighbour such as has the neighbour admitted to what has been posted or some other hard proof. As I am curious why the OP wanted to be anonymous.

If I had a friend who I knew for fact to be doing welfare fraud and I was goign to report that friend, I would do as whats been suggested earlier and tell the friend I feel its wrong and they need to declare it themselves first while they have the chance if not I will be reporting it. I wouldnt do it on the sly behind their back, but thats just me I guess. Its also possible I wouldnt report it eg. if doing so would make my friend homeless etc.

However is there justified reasons for fraud?

I am currently living on only housing benefit which isnt even convering all of my rent, if I applied for JSA I expect I would now be getting money but I didnt claim JSA out of principle because I know I would have had to lie to get it (say I am capable of work). By doing what I see as the right thing I have now no income because of the DWP been very hard on me. It works both ways, the DWP is resorting to dodgy means to get people off benefit.

also if someone is paying high tax eg. £440 a week they conveniantly leave out the untaxed income which if they paying £440 is going to be a nice high number,

Edited by worried33

How would someone know someone is claiming benefits such as a neighbour, does that neighbour brag about it as if they proud? none of my neighbours know I am claiming unless they have got my post because its not something I brag, I keep it to myself. Or is it a case people just assume (guess) because they dont see that person going to work. How do they know what that person does, do they get obsessed watching them all day? I hope the point of these questions is seen.

As mentioned before, I know someone who was accused of claiming benefits that he wasn't actually claiming. I do know someone who claims DLA for her daughter who is supposedly unable to walk. There's a video of her daughter dancing... I know she claims DLA because she was moaning that originally she only got LRC and on appeal, got MRC and HRM.

My manager is aware that I claim benefits - because I was referred to the company he works for by the job centre and he's aware (it's been discussed many times) that I'm desperate for a job and have been told I don't actually need to give him notice when I do get a job. I volunteer; so unlike someone working, there's no requirement as such.

in the olden days the dole was enough to live on including rent (not in luxury, but enough) and basic rate tax was 33%. Now the dole is not enough to live on and basic rate tax is only 20%, yet people moan about the poor having too much, how many of the moaners could live on JSA, I certainly couldn't. I only manage on my ESA because I have a partner.

People on JSA supposedly get everything paid for them - I wish! I still have to pay at least £50+ for glasses each year.

taxes would still exist.

And so they should: taxes are a pain, but then I do use roads and hospitals and libraries, and I do use recycling bins, and appreciate having street lights, as well as other public amenities.My partner and I are back in a situation where we are both paying taxes again, but I don't grudge it.

I'm not an economist, but the question to my mind (in regards to benefits) is about whether anecdotes about scroungers are being used to justify eviscerating benefit for the weakest and most vulnerable in society. I remember Neil Bateman posting a form on Rightsnet from the HMRC website that allowed people to declare offshore bank accounts to the government that they had 'forgotten' to mention, and nothing would come of it as long as the yearly interest was under ten thousand pounds. How much money would you have to have saved, that was undeclared, in order to see a yearly return of interest of £9999? Certainly this seems a more lenient approach than the government departments that many posters on this website have had to deal with. Now, I'm just posting anecdotes that suit my own political persuasion, which is probably no better than the right-wing tabloids who regularly beat up on immigrants, or gays, or benefits cheats. It seems to me though that any political system will have loopholes and people trying to cheat it, whether that be benefits cheats, or millionaires with creative accountants -- the danger is by focussing on the sensationalist stories we end up with a system that is truly retrograde, and my instincts are that we are heading back towards a 19th century view of the poor, the ill, and the downtrodden being leaches on society. Again, I hope I am proved wrong in my cynicism.

People on JSA supposedly get everything paid for them - I wish! I still have to pay at least £50+ for glasses each year.

I pay for taxis to see my GP (only hospital refferals can be reclaimed and in my experience the full amount isnt refunded as they have a set amount per mile).

Also I pay for eye drops which my GP wont do prescription for.

I pay for painkillers on top of prescription painkillers.

I pay for costs going to/from the Job centre which has been hideous the last 2-3 months.

Calls to the Job centre which are usually £1+ a pop. can of course be much more with queues and such.

I am forced to use online shopping for my food due to my health which is a lot more expensive than able to go into stores and less choice to shop around.

All my rent and council tax isnt paid so they the excess come out my main benefit (when I had the benefit).

Probably much more but thats some of it. I am baffled that people on one side can say they struggling on 20k+ a year and then think someone on under 10k a year has it easy.

This year we have the tax allowance increase which will help people on low wages a lot and I believe is a tax cut actually for everyone who works that earns more than the threshold.

Income tax is at its lowest for decades.

Edited by worried33

And so they should: taxes are a pain, but then I do use roads and hospitals and libraries, and I do use recycling bins, and appreciate having street lights, as well as other public amenities.My partner and I are back in a situation where we are both paying taxes again, but I don't grudge it.

I'm not an economist, but the question to my mind (in regards to benefits) is about whether anecdotes about scroungers are being used to justify eviscerating benefit for the weakest and most vulnerable in society. I remember Neil Bateman posting a form on Rightsnet from the HMRC website that allowed people to declare offshore bank accounts to the government that they had 'forgotten' to mention, and nothing would come of it as long as the yearly interest was under ten thousand pounds. How much money would you have to have saved, that was undeclared, in order to see a yearly return of interest of £9999? Certainly this seems a more lenient approach than the government departments that many posters on this website have had to deal with. Now, I'm just posting anecdotes that suit my own political persuasion, which is probably no better than the right-wing tabloids who regularly beat up on immigrants, or gays, or benefits cheats. It seems to me though that any political system will have loopholes and people trying to cheat it, whether that be benefits cheats, or millionaires with creative accountants -- the danger is by focussing on the sensationalist stories we end up with a system that is truly retrograde, and my instincts are that we are heading back towards a 19th century view of the poor, the ill, and the downtrodden being leaches on society. Again, I hope I am proved wrong in my cynicism.

yeah there is defenitly different approaches used.

eg. vodafone have had lots of unpaid tax written off.

Also there is large corporate tax drops happening now which will save the likes of tesco huge amounts of tax.

The reasons fo rthis is supposedbly to 'encourage' these companies to employ more.

So the approach used for the rich is to encourage them to be more contributory. I assume this will also be to justify the top rate tax drops to encourage top rate taxpayers to pay more as if its ok for them to choose to declare more earnings.

Whilst as you said benefit claimants are not encouraged they are forced. Its a carrot for the rich and a stick for the poor.

I pay for taxis to see my GP (only hospital refferals can be reclaimed and in my experience the full amount isnt refunded as they have a set amount per mile).

I had this problem too. I need a letter from my GP to state I can't travel on buses. I can; but not for that amount of time and not all the hospitals I visit are within walking distance. Thankfully, one is just around the corner from me.

Also I pay for eye drops which my GP wont do prescription for.

Same. At £12 a month. I've been told they won't pay because it's "cosmetic" - dry eyes are a medical issue and not a cosmetic one. It's not my fault that I can't use eye gel / drops without getting it everywhere and poking myself in the eye.

Same. At £12 a month. I've been told they won't pay because it's "cosmetic" - dry eyes are a medical issue and not a cosmetic one. It's not my fault that I can't use eye gel / drops without getting it everywhere and poking myself in the eye.

Just a thought, but it might be worth trying a different GP. It was a a while ago now, but I've sat in on meetings amongst medical staff where there was huge disagreement about prescriptions, often divided along political lines. Some GPs prescribe methadone; some don't. Some GPs sign off on abortions; some don't. I've known Doctors who know the price of every drug they prescribe, whereas others don't care. One way to try and get round the cosmetic issue is to argue that the lack of a prescription is causing you depression/anxiety/psychiatric distress -- this is the reason often used for the family physician prescribing viagra (not that I've ever had a prescription for viagra *cough cough*).