No signed contract and being chased! Nuffield Gym

minski
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I am fighting with Nuffield Health Gym.

At the end of October 2011 I went to Nuffield Gym with a friend to have a look around, they took our details and gave us 3 day trial passes. We used the passes once or twice and then thought we'd join. One of the membership staff emailed me with a special offer (signing fee then nothing till Jan 2012) to join by a particular date. I then gave my bank details by email and paid the joining fee over the phone.

About 4 days after that an injury of mine flared up so I emailed saying that I wouldn't be proceeding with my membership as I wasn't sure when I could train again. Other than the 3 day passes I did not once go to the gym, sign anything including direct debit mandate or terms and conditions or have any terms read to me over the phone or given by email.

They took a payment in Jan for that month and then I cancelled my direct debit thinking I needed to cancel it my end. I didn't get around to ringing them for that money back, then in Feb I was contacted saying I owe the Feb membership. I questioned them about the email I sent and they said they never received one and that I owe the money till Nov 2012 as stated in the terms and conditions.

Unfortunately I have a new computer so I can't even get that email I sent originally. I have asked them to send me proof that I joined and they keep countering that by asking for the cancellation email I sent.

Now I have been contacted by a debt collection agency acting on their behalf to get the owed funds.

Help?

Hi

Just to clarify a contract does not have to be in writing, by giving them your details over the phone etc you did enter into a contract with them. On the membership conditions did it say anything about the terms for cancellation? write to them again stating that you thought you had cancelled but also making it clear that regardless of anything else you are cancelling now. if they are a major gym then they will also have a head office copy them in on the letter (send a hard copy not an email) you could also send a copy to the DCA. Hopefully they will see reason and cancel the claim for the full year.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

I have just been digging around for emails and I have found I didnt even sign up by email I only emailed my account details for the DD and the lost cancellation but the rest was done by text in which he kept saying then come in and sign the paper work during the joining text conversation (mental all by text I know). I have never been giving or even shown any membership conditions. Does this still mean I have entered into a contract?

Edited by minski

Hi Minski and welcome to CAG

If you didn't sign up in the gym itself, you may be protected by The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. See here - http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf&sa=U&ei=XINiT7WvLoWm0QWLzLSxCA&ved=0CAYQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGbS3YhaKD6QZOk2xF_Z5Eiw0a9qQ

If I recall correctly, when you sign online or join by phone, the supplier has to send you full details including terms and conditions within a set time.

If they have failed to do this, the contract may be void. You'll have to read up on it to see which reg'ns cover this.

The gym's admin company will probably send you more demands and threats of all the terrible things they'll do to you. Most of it is hot air !!

If you do the research using the link above, and identify the relevant reg'ns, we can draft you an appropriate letter to send to them. It won't shut them up straight away but they'll soon realise that you're not an easy target. So they'll move on to weaker prey.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi

just an suggetion whether you signed the contract or it was done online surely you should have a 7 days cooling off period in which you can cancel. I may be way off with this as other caggers will advise but just a suggestion.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi

just an suggetion whether you signed the contract or it was done online surely you should have a 7 days cooling off period in which you can cancel. I may be way off with this as other caggers will advise but just a suggestion.

Spot on I'd say. If you canceled within 7 working days, and you agreed to this away from their premises, they don't have a leg to stand on. I would write 1 letter stating either what slick said (I have not received any T&C which the distance selling regulations acts states you are duty bound to send out...etc) of if you canceled within 10 days which it sounds like (As my application was done over the internet is it governed by the distance selling regulations act, and so I have the right to cancel without penelty...etc).

Hopefully that will be an end of it. (but hope in your left hand and poop in your right, and the right hand generally gets full 1st)

I would say tho that being completely in the wrong rarely stops admin companies writing and phoning. Personally, I would either have a right good argument with them, (which results in me saying "so take me to court then") or ignore them. Ignoring is probably the fastest way to get rid, Arguing can be the most fun if done correctly :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar