Problems with Credit Check for new job

Gaffer81
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4444 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I am looking for some help as I find myself in a bit of a situation.

A few weeks back I applied for a job with NFU Mutual, and as part of their selection process they carry out checks via The Security Watchdog. I have worked in the Insurance industry for the last 10 years so was not unfamiliar with these cheks being carried out as previous employers have advised that they would be done and nothing has ever come of it - unless of course the checks were never carried out.

I digress slightly. Anyway I have served notice on my old job and worked that period and finished last Friday. I am due to start with NFU this coming Monday but I received a telephone call today from their HR people to say that of the financial probity check that is carried out - basic credit search - I am showing as being declared bankrupt and showing as having lived at a different address from the information that I have given them.

This is difinitely not the case, I know my credit rating is not a 100% as I have had problems in the past probably like the biggest % of people out there but I have never been declared as bankrupt or had any CCJ or entered an IVA or anything like that.

I am now without a job, although NFU mutual have said they will still take me on if I sort this out but unlikely that will be done before Monday and their next intake is in April.

I don't know where to start. I know the check they done was through equifax but what do I do next??

TIA for any replies.

Gaffer.

Firstly. Equifax are full of wrong info...I have been trying to get them to remove out of date stuff for a year now. Get yourself a copy of your credit file. you can sign up for free trial@ Experien and get it pretty much straight away by giving your credit card details. its free for 30 days so just cancel once you download it. It seems a bit obvious that the person they checked was not you if the address is different, wonder what else they compared. Date of birth, time at present address etc? how long have you been at current address, can you prove previous addresses? You can check with the Insolvency Service if they have you registered as Bankrupt. They may be able to give you something to prove you are not the person with same name? Either someone has stolen your ID or NFU have not done a proper check and it is someone entirely different. I would call them back and ask what they matched up other than your name! Also contact Equifax and challenge this info!

The name matches, I think it might be my father because I know when I last spoke to him about 4 years back he was having major problems with his finances. We are not on speaking terms.

I have been at my present address for the last 11 years coming up on 12.

My father has never lived at this address although he stays approximately 1 mile from me.

I will try that experian thing later on.

Well unless you dad used your details to obtain credit i.e Date of Birth etc sound to me like NFU got it wrong! I would call them up and query this, maybe they do not have your D.O.B as are not supposed to ask age nowadays but I would expect them to be sure of their facts before basically accusing you of giving them false info! you have to get this sorted even if not for this job but for future! Good luck :)

Another thought...Tell NFU that you believe they have accessed your estranged fathers details, something they need his permission to do !!! ...If they HAVE searched YOUR credit file it will show up once you get a copy. Perhaps if you get your Experien report they will take a copy from you as proof they got wrong guy, and perhaps start you while investigations go on. My MP tried to help re these credit checks for jobs, but despite the FSA not requiring them unless job has a control function. the Employment minister basically said 'we cannot tell private companies what methods they use to vet staff' !!! cop out!!

This has happened me 3 times in the last month. I'm getting ****ed off with it. It was just basic cust service and admin with a bit of sales. One position was just dealing with consumer complaints.

The first position I did not to the best of my knowledge give permission for a cra cheque to be done.

It's so fustrating to be trying to sort out financial problems and having doors shut in your face when your trying to get a better paid job.

Hi Gaffer - I have moved your post and those which follow to a new thread as this may attract more people who can advise you.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Depends what level credit check NFU has done. They may have used a third party to search or only done a partial search(this happens as full searches cost more). A full CAIS (credit advisory information service) will detail you and everyone at the address and it will include dates of birth so as to distinguish from one individual to another. Do the free trial on Experian as mentioned earlier. It gives full details of any records held. Make sure you include any addresses you may have lived at or used when applying for credit. Print it off and take to NFU.

Certain roles in financial services do require fiscal probity checks to ensure employees are "Fit and Proper". Records can be incorrect but rarely. Usually though it is becuase someone does not know how to read a CAIS report.

Good luck.

I would also then report NFU to the Information Commissioner, OFT and Trading Standards and state that their checking methods are not robust and not fit and proper for their purposes, give them a nightmare in return. The more people who do this to so called employers who abuse the CRAs the better.

lets say I am taking this problem to task myself as I have a problem gaining employment as most companies are doing these credit checks and turning down everyone with even a sniff of debt problems even supermarkets, call centers and cleaning jobs are doing this, and as in this day and age of recession and people who lose thier jobs are more likely to get debt CCJ,s which leaves them vitually unemployable and state dependant when all they want to do is earn a decent wage and get back on track . How on earth are we supposed to do this when we are continally having doors shut in our faces because of debt.

This has happened me 3 times in the last month. I'm getting ****ed off with it. It was just basic cust service and admin with a bit of sales. One position was just dealing with consumer complaints.

The first position I did not to the best of my knowledge give permission for a cra cheque to be done.

It's so fustrating to be trying to sort out financial problems and having doors shut in your face when your trying to get a better paid job.

You should complain about this to the ICO - and also your MP - copy in Michael Meacher MP as well as he does not like CRA's.

I have said it before - you are now treated worse for being in debt than you would have been if you stole the money to pay the debts. This is a disgusting practice sold by DCA's to employers as you being a security risk.

lets say I am taking this problem to task myself as I have a problem gaining employment as most companies are doing these credit checks and turning down everyone with even a sniff of debt problems even supermarkets, call centers and cleaning jobs are doing this, and as in this day and age of recession and people who lose thier jobs are more likely to get debt CCJ,s which leaves them vitually unemployable and state dependant when all they want to do is earn a decent wage and get back on track . How on earth are we supposed to do this when we are continally having doors shut in our faces because of debt.

Which supermarkets? most of the big retailers do not do credit checks - and they are the businesses at the most risk of internal theft - they just don't see the need - as they understand that the biggest risk is not people being in debt - but just people being dishonest.

Which supermarkets? most of the big retailers do not do credit checks - and they are the businesses at the most risk of internal theft - they just don't see the need - as they understand that the biggest risk is not people being in debt - but just people being dishonest.

I went to apply for a job within morrisons picked up the application form read through it resady to fill in and it said on there that credit checks would be carried out.

I went to apply for a job within morrisons picked up the application form read through it resady to fill in and it said on there that credit checks would be carried out.

What position was this for?

I know Morrisons well - and people who work for them who have less than good ratings - so they may not actually carry the checks out - or may depend on what it shows, - fraud for example would not go down well, obviously. My advice would be to apply - they can only say no.

Will try and find out about the level of checks they do for you.

This problem of failing credit checking is adding fuel to the fire of 'mass economic migration' one wonders how the EU would view this abuse.... Human Rights comes to mind here.

Good points - and if the OP has lost a good opportunity through errors it makes it even worse - and brings into question the whole system.

A full CAIS (credit advisory information service) will detail you and everyone at the address and it will include dates of birth so as to distinguish from one individual to another.

And do the other individuals have to opt in to such a search or do they even know that person/persons unknown are scrutinising their confidential data simply because somebody else who shares that address has made some form of application?

I'm maybe being a little naive to be shocked to learn that your personal information is available to a third party with whom you do not necesarily have any form of connection whatsoever. I guess there's a fee involved for the CRA so that makes it okay then....

As of 03/03/12 please do not under any circumstances wait for my further input or guidance on any current thread or defence of a court claim I might have been involved in on or through Cag.

Jasper1965