Court form received (Cabot)

foxyflugel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4351 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

foxy

did they even send an attempted accurate reconstitution of the alleged original agreement re the s78 request?

Edited by Ford

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they were/are in breach of your s78 request, then they can do everything up to issuing a court claim, but NOT obtaining judgment !

So they can assign/default/intimidate by phone or letter,issue a claim.. but not get a judgment against you..

Point 19 in the judgment below might explain things a little better.

Cabot v Buchellier - For the consumer.pdf

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ford - no they didn't send a reconstituted version.

Good news - I think - though. I have had a good search through all my old correspondence and found a letter dated 15th Nov 2010 from Citibank.

It says with ref to my request for a copy of my c c agreement pursuant to sect 78 of CCA etc etc..... They apologise for the delay in responding and regret to advise me that although they have attempted to locate the document they have not been successful. Therefore they are enclosing a cheque for £1 which represents the fee I paid in relation to the request.

They shall continue to search their records with a view to providing me with it f.o.c. In line with recent OFT guidance my cc a/c is therefore not enforceable. 'Enforceable' is a legal term meaning that the lender is not entitled to commence legal proceedings against you for recovery of outstanding sums. However you should continue to pay any amounts due as your contract with us is not void....blah blah.

CB - I have read the link - which was very useful - many thanks for that :-)

However, I have a few questions -

When do I bring this letter into the equation?

Do I send it with my AQ - will it stop it going to court? Surely they need the actual agreement on which their case is based?

How do I use this letter to my best advantage? If I send it with my AQ - will the court realise that they can't enforce anything as CB didn't comply with my request?

or do I amend my defence and apply to have it struck out? - as I am still waiting (they are still looking for) the alleged agreement for Morgans to forward onto me 'in due course'.

Your help and guidance would be much appreciated guys as always.

Thanks

Foxy :-)

no s78 compliance= no court enforcement (kotecha/phoenix ca case for eg). no compliant dn=no court enforcement (woodchester, harrison, brandon appeal, cases for eg). is this pre 2007? if so, no signed doc containing all prescribed terms=no court enforcement full stop (s127(3) cca) as they have admitted themselves re your letter above. would require careful argument though.

Edited by Ford

would prob still need to complete aq as required.

assignment issues also?

poss options?

could, write to claimant inviting them to discontinue as no reasonable grounds re reminding them there is no signed agreement as required etc.

apply for strike out

apply for summary judgment (may involve a hearing)

mediation

wait and see what happens after aq.

anything else? anyone?

note applications may involve a fee depending on your circumstances.

Edited by Ford

You should mention the letter in your witness statement. I guess you could also point this out on your AQ - in the "any other information" section.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I might try Ford's first (& free!) option of sending them a letter pointing out that they have no reasonable grounds to bring the case to court without an agreement and inviting them to discontinue - enclosing a copy of my letter.

Worth a try!

Foxy :-)

Edited by foxyflugel

Hi everyone

I've found another letter that I think refers to this matter (got to check the ref nos).

It is a letter from Opus sent to my solicitors (at the time) and they (Opus) have sent a copy to me. It states that they cannot find my terms and conditions document.

Can someone please advise if these docs will actually help me at all? as I am reading on the forum and some say no agreement=not enforceable = no judgement - then others are saying that they failed on this point (no agreement) in court.

I have been through the mill today and can't think straight :-(

Would anyone be kind enough to help me draught a letter to these people?

Think I need to sleep.

Foxy

Foxy. In court you need to be well prepared with case law to support your points that you can refer the judge to. Unfortunately judges are not experts and if the defendant is not able to support their defence with case law then they risk losing in court. It takes preparation and a clear head. And lots of clearly labelled post it notes! Even Carey only supports a recon in answer to a CCA request; but it does NOT say that a signed agreement isn't needed.

foxy

from what you have said, they have not even complied with your s78 request. not even a reconstitution. in that case alone court should not be able to even consider judgment against until they do so. as citb mentioned above. (but they may hand over a recon/copy at the court doors! ssh. must be accurate/compliant though)

re having no signed doc that contains all of the prescribed terms, technically the court would be barred from making an enforcement order at all. under s127. would require careful argument though. no guarantees.

'The consequence of a ruling such as this is to provide(MY CLIENT) with a windfall and I am conscious of the unfairness in one sense that that may lead to. I was taken in the course of argument to the speech of Lord Nicholls in the case of Wilson and Others v The Secretary of State for Trade and Industry [2003] UKHL, 40. At paragraphs 71 and 72 he recognises that the consequences of the provisions of section 127(3) can indeed lead to drastic, even harsh, consequences for a lender who loses all his rights under the agreement. It is an unattractive feature sometimes, for it involves punishing the blameless pour encourager les autres. But Lord Nicholls’ view was that Parliament had singled out some obligations as having such importance that non-compliance would lead automatically and inflexibly to a ban on the making of an enforcement order whatever the circumstances, and that those obligations were specified in sections 127(3) and (4). Parliament, he said, had chosen deliberately to exclude consideration of what is just and equitable in the particular case. Lord Scott echoed what he said at paragraph 164 of his speech.' PT2537, quote from a HC judgement.

bold emphasis is my doing

Edited by Ford

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just a quick update - after much consideration - someone was highly recommended to me so I have passed my case to the big boys. It's a weight off my shoulders

Fingers crossed - will let you know.

Foxy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just a quick update on my thread. Cabot have dropped the case as expected/hoped within a matter of 10 days of my passing it to a solicitor. Not only that, they are paying half of my costs. Result. Thanks :madgrin:

Hi everyone

Just a quick update on my thread. Cabot have dropped the case as expected/hoped within a matter of 10 days of my passing it to a solicitor. Not only that, they are paying half of my costs. Result. Thanks :madgrin:

Hope the other half of your costs weren't too expensive. If Cabot dropped the case how come you still had to pay half?

I am pleased that you won, but just wanted to make the point that you and other caggers on this thread were instrumental in getting you within sniffing distance of the winning post and credit should be given where it's due.

Congratulations by the way. :-D

• Haha 1
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks everyone.

Caro - that is true and CAG is an extremely useful place for support, opinions and guidance on dealing with these vultures and my thanks go, as always, to the caggers that helped me on the way.

My half of costs were very minimal, they wanted us both to stand our own costs at first and then negotiated to pay half (well, just over half actually :-) ). :whoo:

Foxy

My half of costs were very minimal

Makes sense I guess as you did most of the work yourself. The main thing is that you're happy with the outcome, and I think it's safe to say that you are. :p

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.