Carers allowance and studying

worriedsick58
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, was wondering if you can help. I'm worried sick over this. I have been receiving carers allowance for my son who has autism for many years now and I have been studying part time to train as a teacher.

This course is a 'flexible' part time course and with it being so I assumed it was ok to claim carers. Anyway, I emailed the carers allowance unit via that e service thing the other day to inform them that from April I will be looking to do supply teaching part-time. Supply teaching is pretty good money so even if I could only scrape 1 day a week it would likely send me over the £100 limit. They sent me a form in the post a few days later wanting confirmation of where I worked and how much I earnt which I was confused about as Im not working yet! So I gave them a ring today to inform them that I am still on the course; have not yet qualified and am not earning anything. They have also stopped my carers allowance too by the way.

Anyway, they queried about the course and asked for their details, which I gladly gave along with the head of the courses name so they could write to her specifically. They advised me on the phone that I could only do 21 hours of study a week. My course has nearly been three years long, and for most of that time to be frank Ive done practically no studying, extremely less than 21 hours; which the course leader knows. I was poorly when I was pregnant so had to defer and I had postnatal depression on top of this also. Even though I was still 'on the course' I wasnt doing anything but as I said my tutor knows all this. This course is designed to work around your commitments so studying hours are 'flexible'. All Im worried about is the teaching placements I have done. I did one for 35 days; the first two weeks where only for 3 days a week (under 21 hours) then 2 weeks full time. Discounting the lunch and breaks still takes me over 21 hours for those two weeks. Then I think I managed to scrape in a few days in a week here and there and probably about 5/6 weeks full time. Its all been very bitty due to me flittering in and out due to me being ill. Basically Ive done about 8 weeks full time.

I emailed my tutor before and told her that they will want to know that its part-time and that I do under 21 hours of study a week which she has gladly agreed. Because its true, BUT Im worried about the whole placement thing. Will they ask this on the form? Will the DWP see it as fraud or will I just have to pay back for those weeks?? Im telling you, Im not sleeping tonight. As far as I was concerned I am classed as part-time and 'flexible' meaning you work your studying around your commitments i.e. my family. Ive been through so much to do my teaching, Im afraid Im going to be done for fraud and my whole careers screwed. Ive read a few threads on here and they sound like vultures just getting onto you and accusing you of fraud for nothing. Please help!! :|

Hi everyone, was wondering if you can help. I'm worried sick over this. I have been receiving carers allowance for my son who has autism for many years now and I have been studying part time to train as a teacher.

This course is a 'flexible' part time course and with it being so I assumed it was ok to claim carers. Anyway, I emailed the carers allowance unit via that e service thing the other day to inform them that from April I will be looking to do supply teaching part-time. Supply teaching is pretty good money so even if I could only scrape 1 day a week it would likely send me over the £100 limit. They sent me a form in the post a few days later wanting confirmation of where I worked and how much I earnt which I was confused about as Im not working yet! So I gave them a ring today to inform them that I am still on the course; have not yet qualified and am not earning anything. They have also stopped my carers allowance too by the way.

Anyway, they queried about the course and asked for their details, which I gladly gave along with the head of the courses name so they could write to her specifically. They advised me on the phone that I could only do 21 hours of study a week. My course has nearly been three years long, and for most of that time to be frank Ive done practically no studying, extremely less than 21 hours; which the course leader knows. I was poorly when I was pregnant so had to defer and I had postnatal depression on top of this also. Even though I was still 'on the course' I wasnt doing anything but as I said my tutor knows all this. This course is designed to work around your commitments so studying hours are 'flexible'. All Im worried about is the teaching placements I have done. I did one for 35 days; the first two weeks where only for 3 days a week (under 21 hours) then 2 weeks full time. Discounting the lunch and breaks still takes me over 21 hours for those two weeks. Then I think I managed to scrape in a few days in a week here and there and probably about 5/6 weeks full time. Its all been very bitty due to me flittering in and out due to me being ill. Basically Ive done about 8 weeks full time.

I emailed my tutor before and told her that they will want to know that its part-time and that I do under 21 hours of study a week which she has gladly agreed. Because its true, BUT Im worried about the whole placement thing. Will they ask this on the form? Will the DWP see it as fraud or will I just have to pay back for those weeks?? Im telling you, Im not sleeping tonight. As far as I was concerned I am classed as part-time and 'flexible' meaning you work your studying around your commitments i.e. my family. Ive been through so much to do my teaching, Im afraid Im going to be done for fraud and my whole careers screwed. Ive read a few threads on here and they sound like vultures just getting onto you and accusing you of fraud for nothing. Please help!! :|

Hi Welcome to Cag, This is not my field of expertise ( I can see no fraud),

I'll try and get som e help for you.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks, Im proper stressing over this! Worried Im going to get one of those come for interview under caution letters!

KeeeeepCaaalm. you hours I think can be average out!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Hope so, that'll mean Ive done about a minute a day then in the last three years! Its just that the girl I spoke to was a right snotty so and so when I rang and she said they will be 'investigating this matter' and that if its only part time than Ive got nothing to worry about in a sarcastic patronising tone of voice. Thats what freaked me out; to me it was like she was basically trying to make out Ive been devious by not notifying them I was on the course.

Don't worry!

Part-time students can claim carers allowance- and if you did a few days over they are not likely to do anything about that. You should get your carers allowance reinstated as you are entitled to it. You are very, very unlikely to be asked for an interview.

For full advice, your college should have a students' union advice centre. They will be able to give much more detailed information about the rules. But bottom line is you have nothing to worry about!

Hi, I am a part time student and have been claiming carers allowance for my son for many years now; probably about 4/5 years. I found out last night that carers allowance is a 'taxable income' and I havent declared it on my tax credits form. I went on the tax credit calculator to see how much I'd owe and the impression I get is that as its my only taxable income my payments will not be altered. Therefore I dont think I'll have an overpayment. I need to inform them about this Im cracking up! Am I going to get into trouble even if its a case of me not owing any money? I didnt realise it was a taxable income! Just to add fuel on my already massive fire. On further investigation about carers allowance and my circumstances I realised I havent declared it on my student loan forms either! Due to me being a lone parent and not having an 'income or partner' I bypassed all that bit without even looking at it. I just thought it was to do with earnings and work. Im worried to death about this. I want to admit that Ive made a mistake and repay any overpayments.

no, I would ring them up and speak to them, if you look about the forum Tax Credits are very understanding and will be OK with you, I believe you can have about 20hrs paid work before having to declare it however to put your mind at rest ring them tell them. If you have been over paid all they will do is reduce you payments to get back the over payment. So ring them stop worrying you wont be going to prison or being arrested. Student Loan I wouldn't worry about because regardless of situation you get the same, in fact you may have been underpaid in relation to that. So I would personally ignore Student Loans as you have to pay it back anyway as it is just a loan and not a benefit.

So plan of action ring Tax Credits today inform them of everything and then take it from there, and then have a nice meal and a good sleep x

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

Whatever you do, be completely straight with everyone. I would put it in writing as well as phone - to make sure that it is clear that you are letting them know and that you are facing up to whatever problems this causes.

Just contact them all tell them what happened and you will be surprised how understanding they are, you're not the first and I'm sure you wont be the last, just dont leave it and hope it will go away, just make that first call to tax credits and it will be fine

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

Wouldn't mind knowing the answer to that too. I upped my hours by 4 hours a week earlier in 2011, let them know, was told it would make no difference, yet it went down 10 pounds a week, a couple of months ago I lowered my hours again by 4 hours a week, let them know, tax credits haven't changed. If I use the benefits calculator, I should be getting more. So I am not sure when they alter your payments, but wouldn't mind knowing if they should!

Hi, I have been claiming carers allowance since 2006 and started on a part time course 4 years ago. I didnt notify dwp as it was only part time (under 21 hours). I informed them that my course will be ending in April and that I will be looking to do supply teaching. They asked about the course and Ive had my tutor fax them confirmation that its part time and under 21 hours. I am waiting to hear back from the decision maker but Im worried I will get into trouble for not telling them in the first place? Does anyone know?

Hi you have a thread open on this matter already with the

same information please repost on your original thread.

4 threads have been merged :)

If you stick to one thread per query then it will make it easier for you to receive consistent advice and you wont miss any responses :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D