Been given 4 weeks' notice, can I claim benefits?

honeybee13
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm starting this on behalf of ben oseman because I thought it might be best to split the thread into employment and benefits problems. I hope that helps. This is the question.

so like i said i have 4 weeks left. im going to try and get jobseekers allowance, but because she has written that iv (gross misconduct) shown my backside. more importantly will i still get housing benefit. my partner only works 15 hours pw and we have 2 kids. can anyone shed any light on this situation?

Illegitimi non carborundum

If you lose your job through misconduct, your JSA may be sanctioned for up to 26 weeks. If you lose your job through misconduct, it does not necessarily lead to a sanction. Your ex-employer will be asked why you were dismissed. If a sanction is applied you should appeal. Even if the decision is not overturned an appeal may reduce the length of the sanction. If you are sanctioned you can apply for hardship payments. Housing benefit is means tested. If your JSA is sanctioned then the local authority will be notified by the DWP. At that point you will need to prove to the local authority that your household income and circumstances meet the conditions to qualify for housing benefit / council tax benefit. You should notify HMRC of the change of circumstances if you are claiming Working Tax Credit.

heres the full sp.

iv been given 4 weeks notice for showing my backside to a client.i know ill probably struggle to get jsa but im not bothered bout that to much. my partenr works for 15 hours a week and we have 2 children under the age of two. if i apply for housing benefit after 4 weeks will i be eligible for it?

As previously advised, the information you have provided is not sufficient for us to guess whether or not you will be entitled to HB/CTB. We would need to know more about your rental agreement, your partner's income and any capital you have. For example, your partner works 15 hours a week but if she is a high earner or you have capital above the limit or if your rent agreement is considered contrived, these types of things may make you ineligible.

What you can do, is put your details as they will be at that time, into this calculator and it will generate a guideline result of what you may be entitled to, including housing benefit.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

iv been given 4 weeks notice for showing my backside to a client.i know ill probably struggle to get jsa but im not bothered bout that to much. my partenr works for 15 hours a week and we have 2 children under the age of two. if i apply for housing benefit after 4 weeks will i be eligible for it? also we have no savings, we live in a housing assosiation flat and my partner earns 101 per week

Based on just your other half working 15 hours you will probably get full housing & council tax benefit. And about 100 a week child tax credits.

If your other half can up her work hours to 16 a week, you could also get 80 pounds a week approx in working tax credit on top. And have to pay about 10 a week towards your rent & 2 a week towards council tax.

Those are approximates & based on 100 a week rent bill 1000 a year council tax bill & no dissability benefits or JSA involved. Or pension payments out your other halves wages.

A run on is this: When you stop work and therefore need to inform tax credit, you will continue to receive working tax credit for 4 weeks.

They will not be able to process the change until the day of the change.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

No, nobody said you couldn't claim - but the working tax credit will have an affect on how much housing benefit you are eligible for. You can still claim. Once your working tax credit stops, you then tell housing benefit who will adjust your HB claim accordingly.

Whether you walk out of your job will have no bearing on any housing benefit claim - but the working tax credit that you will continue to receive for 4 weeks after your employment ends and any earnings due to you will affect the amount that you can get.

if i cant get jobseekers i can still get housing benefit?

Yes, you can. Claims typically take a few weeks to process, and it is backdated to the date you made the claim.

WTC run on may affect the amount of HB you get, but overall it will work out as the same total amount when you add the two.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.