Landlord Opening my mail

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4525 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I will point out one last thing, Some people cannot afford to have their mail redirected, and if they do it will only be redirected for a certain amount of time. Not forever. Not to forget that some do slip through from time to time.

Steve__M and other landlords...

I was asking

What would you as a Landlord or other landlords would do,if you found out a tenant was intercepting/opening Letters,Packets,Parcels that where addressed to you the Landlord.

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

What would you as a Landlord or other landlords would do,if you found out a tenant was intercepting/opening Letters,Packets,Parcels that where addressed to you the Landlord.

The point of my post is to balance the landlord's need to potentially deal with very many items of post which may be disruptive to his new tenants against the old tenants obligation to arrange for their post to be forwarded and for addresses to change.

I have not done what the OP's landlord has done.

If a tenant provides a forwarding address and acts to reduce the flow of mail I would not open their mail. My tenants don't get mail for me (apart from the water bill - which they're welcome to open if they want to pay it for me!). If they do it would be a rare enough event that they don't have an excuse to open it.

Do you lot get equally annoyed if someone without children parks in a Parent and Child space at 1am in the morning at the 24-hour supermarket?

Do you lot get equally annoyed if someone without children parks in a Parent and Child space at 1am in the morning at the 24-hour supermarket?

yes ...................... if it stops me parking there :madgrin:

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

In my view, the point of a forum like this is to offer views on situations.

Sometimes it is helpful and, perhaps, stimulating to have a bit of tooing and froing to discuss a point, and sometimes it becomes a pointless act of jumping down people's throat for not holding the identical moral principles.

Certainly, a tenant can decide to tell a landlord off and, who knows, might be successful in getting the police involved. The alternative scenario is that neither landlord nor police are in listening mode in which case the other option is to arrange mail forwarding and inform people of your new address.

Steve__M and other landlords...

I was asking

Steve__M

My Question is

If someone or a Tenant was opening Post,Personal Letters Addressed to you "Steve__M" you the LL where your tenants live...

What would you do ?

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Right, I think we shall answer the OP's question and get this back on track.

1.Can he open my mail? No, he has your address, there is no reason why he should be opening it

2. What is reasonable excuse? Possibly unaware this belonged to you. In other words by accident

3.Can he use the information in these letters in court against me? No because would be an admission that he had tampered with your mail, which is against the law.

Steve__M

My Question is

If someone or a Tenant was opening Post,letters Addressed to you "Steve__M" you the LL where your tenants live...

What would you do ?

I honestly cannot think of a circumstance where it would bother me.

I'd probably say "Sorry about that mail coming to you. Next time just put it with the huge pile of mail for the previous tenants and I'll deal with it next time I visit. I'll let the company know of my correct address so that hopefully they won't do it again".

Just to throw a spanner in the works, many moons ago I had a "dodgy" landlord. My only contact with him was through his mothers address. I got sick of sending his post back or taking it to his mothers house. One day I received a letter and only the address was showing through the window so I opened it. It was a court summons, he had not been paying his mortgage and was getting his house repossessed. I was 7 months pregnant at the time. I gave the letter to his mother, and I attended court to see what was going to happen to my home - He didn't turn up!!!!!! The court gave me a stay of execution until I found a new house before they sent the bailiffs in!!!!

While I accept it is not morally right to open somebody else's mail, I am also of the belief that if it comes through my door when the landlord/ex tenant etc has had ample time to get their affairs in order, then unless it is obviously a personal piece of mail (hand written) then I am going to open it to see if I am going to get shafted again!

Plus, how many of us have received letters from DCA's, whether for oursleves or not that state "If you are not the named person, please call.....................", or something to that effect? Does that not say something about the amount of mail being opened by people other than the named recipient?

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

Sorry, double posted!

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

There is a process for redirecting mail which *may* be easier and more constructive than trying to persuade the Police to prosecute the LL (in the face of huge cuts in Police numbers etc. etc.)

I've just called at my last house to see if there was any post still sent to my last address.

one of the guys that lived there did sign up for postal redirects. that didn't stop there being mail for him there.