style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section. It seems the right place but I couldn't be sure.

Right, we got behind with our payments to Thames Water.

We organised a payment plan with them but fell behind again.

They got Capquest involved who we called after receiving multiple missed calls from them.

I tend not to answer unknown numbers on my mobile and that is what they were calling.

At the time of the calls we did not know what they were calling about.

We called them to ask who they were and what they wanted.

They explained about the Thames Water debt.

They demanded we pay the full amount there and then.

We couldn't do that so we said we'd call them back when we were in a position to make a payment.

I said to my wife that maybe we should give TW a call to see if we could set up another payment plan.

We called them and they were more than happy to set up another plan.

we set up a DD and 3 payments went out.

We make a payment every month.

A week or so ago we go a letter from Capquest saying they may start litigation proceedings regarding the debt.

Obviously we were shocked as we had arranged the plan with TW.

After we explained and they demanded we pay them as well we called TW to see what they had to say.

They told us that as far as they were aware Capquest had no reason to, and I quote, "harass us" as the debt was not with them because we had an agreement between us and TW.

As far as we were concerned that was that.

Obviously not because now Capquest call every morning and night.

They still want us to pay them as well as TW despite us explaining what TW said.

They are having none of it and will not stop calling.

I have now diverted their calls straight to voicemail to avoid having to answer it.

I suppose I'd like to know what I can do to stop these people calling me?

One thing I will be doing tomorrow is to call Thames Water to ask if they can contact Capquest to tell them the debt is nothing to do with them.

I'm not sure if they can or will do that though.

Sorry for the long winded post. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

M

aha

ruddy crapest

firstly

ignore then

and 2nd

NEVER EVER phone a DCA

they have NO LEGAL POWERS

and are out to spoof you.

WAter debts [even if you do owe] are NOT a priority Bill

as much as TW would like you to think.

they are not like gas/electric

they cant cut you off

so only pay what you can easily afford.

Demand TW call off crapest forthwith

if not you will sue them for harrassment.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi MML

Welcome to CAG

Your making payments to Thames Water, that should be the end of the matter. Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such.

Explain that you've come to an arrangement and you are still being harrassed by the agents of Thames Water for monies, although there is an arrangement in place. You deem that as harrassment, if it doesn't stop PDQ, you will take further action. Just as an example:-http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/46.html

Send it to:-

Martin Baggs, Chief Executive

[email protected]

Thank you for your replies.

dx100uk

Yes I know I was stupid calling a DCA back. I was getting fed up with the calls and wanted to get them to stop. Didn't work.

I didn't know that water bills were not priority and that they could not stop supplying water. Feel a bit foolish now. I am ignoring them. I have set their number to go directly to voicemail so now just get automated messages saying they'll call again. Thanks for the advice and info.

rebel11

Thanks for that info. I also thought that paying TW would be enough to get CapQuest off our backs. I will certainly send a letter to TW asking them to call off the dogs. Even one of their employees said what CQ are doing is harassment.

PGH7447

I have set their number to now go to voicemail so I won't be answering. If they are being paid per call, then I expect the "phone drones" may be earning a decent bonus this year! :!: Thanks.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by MMLP_RG1
Spelling mistake corrected.

IME DCAs normally do what their clients tel lthem otherwise they will lose their business - contrary to what some might think, I very much doubt TW want a DCA harassing you for no reason.

For that reason I would suggest that TW havent actually told CQ to stop contacting you. If they had the DCA almost certainly wouldnt keep harassing you for 2 reasons - 1) it would annoy their client and may cost them future business 2) it would be very illegal to purposelly try to make you pay the same debt twice.

Called TW to request they tell CapQuest to stop harassing is. If I get one more call I will send a letter. Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks to everyone who has replied with information. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the call to Thames Water didn't work. They were very sympathetic and said they'd contact Capquest straight away to request they stop calling me. Capquest seem to have ignored that request. Looks like it is time for the letter.

Make sure you keep a record of all the times and dates they call.....Can I also suggest writing a letter along the lines of (and send a copy of it to the Chief Executive of Scottish Water - Richard Ackroyd)

Head Office:

Castle House

Carnegie Campus

Dunfermline

KY11 8GG

letter before actionlink3.giflink3.gif

Dear Sir / Madam.

It is with great concern I write with regard to your company's behaviour. Over the last (x) weeks your company written to me with various threats, so much so that is is seriously affecting my family and I

You will be aware that I have set up a payment plan with Scottish Water, however I am now of the opinion that this is now pure harrassment and in direct breach of CPUTR2008, The OFT's Guidance On debt collectionlink3.gif, your own associations code of conduct and harrassment laws. I'm sure I have no need to remind you of the recent cases of Ferguson vs British Gas and Harrison vs Link. In the latter Justice Chambers said QUOTE ""[There] can be no excuse for conduct of which it must be supposed the sole purpose must have been to make the claimant's life so difficult that he would come to heel"

What I require.

An apology from the Chief Executive of your company in light of the distresslink3.giflink3.gif, embarrassment and upset this has caused.

Your offical complaints procedures

Confirmation that you will NOT call me again.

If you do not respond with your official complaints procedure within 7 days, I will have no hesitation in informing Trading Standards, The Financial Ombudsmanlink3.gif Service, The Office Of Fair Trading and my MP of your behaviour. And if I have to write to you again I will charge your company £20 taking time out to write again.

I will also be passing this letter on to Richard Ackroyd, Chief Executive Of southern Water as they take joint responsibility for the way their suppliers handle customers too.

I trust this makes my position perfectly clear.

Report TW for not keeping a leash of CQ.

What may be happening is that when you phone TW you get through to their normal customer service - but chances are they will have a seperate credit department that deals with money owed that actually communicate with Capquest - so there may be a communication delay - how many days was it before Capquest wrote to you again?

Report TW for not keeping a leash of CQ.

What may be happening is that when you phone TW you get through to their normal customer service - but chances are they will have a seperate credit department that deals with money owed that actually communicate with Capquest - so there may be a communication delay - how many days was it before Capquest wrote to you again?

Not going to say I told you so, but I told you so:wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Thames Water have contacted CapQuest and the calls have stopped. We thought that was the end of it but we have now received a letter from CapQuest saying that payments for a debt owed to TW are to be made directly to CQ as they are handling that particular debt. They say we owe £56. We are paying off a debt directly to TW of over £250. That is inclusive of every sum of money we owe from a previous address. That is what TW told us. Why have CQ decided to pursue a small part of our debt when we have an agreement with TW over the whole debt? Looks like another call to TW is in order. This is starting to annoy me.

Some might think it would be easier to pay CQ, but I feel they are trying to bully us into it now. They may as well send out the bailiff. Can tell them to their face that they are not getting a penny.

Report it to Trading Standards via Consumer Direct

Quite cearly someone is in the wrong

TW for not telling Capquest to cease all activity

or

Capquest for ignoring TWs instructions

Did you have multiple small debts with TW? Perhaps they have sold them off in blocks, recalled some but not all from their DCAs? Which is why you are still being chased for one smaller amount?

We owed TW money from a previous property but carried it over when we moved as far as we are aware. We called TW when we moved to sort a change of address out and discussed it then. TW are saying that they see no reason why CQ are chasing us as we have the agreed PP with TW. Everyone at TW we have spoken to have looked at our files and have said the same thing. As far as I am concerned CQ are in the wrong. I can't fault TW so far for the help they have given. The said they'd call CQ off yet CQ seem intent on chasing us.

Thanks.

Had a call from TW today. They asked if the calls had stopped as they had requested CQ cease harassing us. Told them yes the calls had stopped, but now they have written to us saying that we still owe them money and that payments should be made to them as they hold that particular account. TW are adamant that CQ have no reason to be contacting us as they are happy with the PP we have agreed and they confirmed that all monies owed by us to TW are included in that PP. They checked my name and my wife's maiden name and ALL previous addresses against their files and found nothing other than the money owed covered by the PP. They said they will again contact CQ and insist they stop "harassing" us.

I'm happy with TW and the efforts they are putting in to getting CQ off our backs. They called us today to check if the calls had stopped. CQ are the ones in the wrong.

I feel this one will run and run.

Latest is that we recieved a letter from CQ today saying:

"I write in response to your recent letter the contents of which have been noted

Unfortunatley I am unable to comment on the dispute you have raised as this was prior to our involvement and at the time the account was passed to us we were unaware of any existing query.

Therefore we are closing the account on our system.

Thank you for taking time in trying to resolve this matter.

Ms J Simms

Quality and Assurance Officer.

I typed this out word for word. What you see is exactly what was on the letter. Obviously I left off my details. Don't understand it. I have never written to CQ. I have only dealt with TW. The letter doesn't really tell me anything. Unless I am missing something. I am tired so that may be the case!