Wescot Statute Barred Problems

gazleic999
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

I have had great advice before on this site when dealing with Capquest and now I am experiencing a similar problem with Wescot.

Story is 7-8 years ago I stopted paying my credit commitments and heard nothing for 6-7 years. I had a battle with capquest but other than that the statute barred letter worked for all the other creditors.

Recently Wescot has come out of the woodwork, the last debt I had not heard from. The others contacted me year to year and a half ago. I sent the standard statute barred letter with Without Predjudice, Etc Etc.

I know I have not paid anything for within the six year period.

I received a reply from Wescot

Stating that a payment for £20 was paid on 28/11/2005 and therefore the account does not qualify as being statute barred.

The letter then goes on to quote section s29 (5) and (6) Limitation Act 1980 which states that the limitation period can be restarted by an acknowledgement or part payment.

The letter then asks me to complete a claim form which was not enclosed within 14 days of receipt or judgement in default may be entered against me.

No proof of payment was enclosed or any other further details

I know I have not made this payment, I never even had a bank account at that time and I never received any letters/ calls from them.

What should I do??

Have I restarted the clock by sending the statute barred letter? in 4 days it will be the 6 year mark according to them.

What should I write back, I know its best not to write anything before 29/11/2011.

I don't fancy having a letter battle like I did with Capquest, is there a final letter I can send and then just ignore them unless they are stupid enough to try to go to the courts.

Thanks

I think it is a common tactic by DCAs to Bluff people into believing they have restarted the clock by supposedly acknowledging a debt.

I suggest you take four or five days to very carefully consider your position and then resend the statute barred letter along with a notification that you will be reporting the matter to trading standards. A foolish person would rush:wink:

even so it will be the 28th nov SB'ed

they'll NEVER get a court order in 4 days

ignore the muppets.

check your CRA file too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I know I have not made this payment, I never even had a bank account at that time and I never received any letters/ calls from them.
They are beginning to do this a lot lately, they are trying to CONvince people that a payment has been made within the limitation period. The onus is on them to prove when & how a payment was made.

They've been kind enough to give you 14 days to respond & by their dubious calculations it will be SB in 4 days in any case. If they continue to pursue complain to Hull Trading Standards. http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_dad=portal&_pageid=221,52380&_schema=PORTAL

My understanding is depending on the T&Cs it may be a couple of months after the last payment date that a debt is deemed to have defaulted. It will at the very least be a month after the last payment date. however, you are clear that you did not make this payment so I would put them to strict proof of this. But wait as long as you can before you write as they may well not contact you again!

The date is the date of the last delinquent payment for

the start of the the six year clock eg., payment made Nov.25th no further

payment made last delinquent Dec, 25th. clock starts.

Brig.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The date is the date of the last delinquent payment for

the start of the the six year clock eg., payment made Nov.25th no further

payment made last delinquent Dec, 25th. clock starts.

Brig.

I understand that in some cases the terms in the contact may determine when the clock starts ticking.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

nope

no contact T&C can change SB rules

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I seem to be posting this up a lot just lately :lol:

Many DCAs will argue that limitation accrues from the time when the "default notice" is issued. It does not.

Limitation clock starts ticking from when the payment is due and not paid not when they send a default notice.

We see often that CRA entries will date 5 or 6 months ahead of when the payment was missed.

People need to be sure that they aren’t being hoodwinked and that the DCA is extending limitation so they can sue when they are not allowed to.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Absolutely the missed payment date starts

the clock as long as there is no further payment

or acknowledgment of a debt, acknowledgment als

would have to have been in writting, telephone call

DO NOT restart the clock, but some chancers will

try to tell you the opposite.

Brig.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: