• Tweets

• That explains it then. MET's fantasy is that it's a pay car park.  You're only let off paying if you are a Starbucks customer which you can't be when Starbucks is closed.  'Cos otherwise lots of people would abuse the car park facilities on the far edge of the Stansted Airport area in the middle of nowhere to ... admire the bushes?  Look at the cloudy sky? The important thing is that we have around 140 cases for this site, and MET have only tried court seven times.  Even then, they had no intention of getting as far as a hearing, they were attempting to intimidate the motorists into paying, when the Caggers defended the cases MET discontinued.
    • She's an only child and he as a brother and sister. He has no will and we have done a check on this to find out if he had left one and nothing has come up. He has savings of around 28k His sister and brother are well off so 28k is nothing to them and aren't interested in his money. This just leaves my wife/his daughter. Would this still need to go to probate there is no estate e.g house or business to sell and the amount left in his bank is just small? When his wife died they just closed her bank account and moved her money across to his account and we just assumed that once my wife has handed in the death certificate and shown evidence of who she is the same would apply to her? We don't know yet the council have only just written to us today with a guide of what to do next.  
    • Did your FiL leave a Will and if so who is the Executor? Strictly speaking banks could refuse to take instructions until Probate is granted but In practice I would expect the bank to take instructions to cancel the DD if the Executor presents the death certificate and a certified copy of the Will
    • Hi   Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough. He had lived in the flat until December 2022 with Dementia by this time it was unsafe for him to have capacity to live on his own and he had to move into a nursing home. We had left it too late to apply for power of attorney so approached a solicitor in March last year for Deputyship. We were still in the process of dealing with it by May 2024. He passed away a few weeks ago and the solicitor was contacted to halt the application and we will just pay the fees of what work he has done up until now. My wife was the named person on her dads bank account but we didn't have the ability to alter any direct debits hence the reasons for applying for Deputyship as we were having problems trying to stop some payments coming out of his account Eon being another difficult company. We kept his flat on from December 2022 - August 2023. it was at this point I contacted Sancutary housing to inform them he was no longer living in the flat, it had been cleared out and was ready for a new tenant and that he had Dementia and had moved into a nursing home December 2022 and explained the reasons why we kept it on. As the named person to speak on his behalf I asked them what proof they needed in order to give notice on the flat e.g proof of dementia and proof that he was living in a nursing home and anything else they wanted. The lady in the upstairs flat and some of the other residence in the street had asked about him and we had told them he had moved into a nursing home. The lady in the upstairs flat wanted his flat for medical reasons so asked us once we had given notice could be let her know and she'll ask them if she can have it. We explained the difficulties and it was left at that but I did tell her I would let her know once notice was given. I contacted the company by email a number of times and also telephone conversations and nobody followed it up and it wasn't till the end of February this year that the housing manager for the area wrote to our home address to ask about him that he had been to the flat a couple of times and nobody answered and he had asked some of the residence in the street and they hadn't seen him for sometime. There was an email address on the letter so I contacted him and copied in the last 2 emails I sent Sanctuary regarding me wanting to give notice on the flat for at least 9 months explaining that it went ignored as well as telephone calls. I also stated I wanted to have his rent payments returned from the date I wanted to give notice which was from August 2023 as the bank wouldn't let us stop the DD without POT or deputyship explaining we were in the process of Deputyship. He gave some excuse about not having POT to cancel on his behalf and spoke to someone in HR and said he would contact the nursing home to confirm he was there with Dementia and if it all checks out we can give notice on the flat which came to an end on the 22 March 2024. There was not mention of back payments for the rent already paid or the fact I had asked to give notice in August 2023. Despite someone living in the flat from 1st April they continue to take DD payments for the flat and have taken another 2 payments of £501. another concerning thing despite Eon not allowing us to cancel the DD to his account the lady upstairs informed Eon that she was moving into the flat February 2024 and Eon refunding the account to his bank and said in an email sorry you are leaving us and canceled his account. Something they wouldn't let us do but a stranger. She also changed her bank account to his address despite the fact notice hadn't been given on the flat yet. So we need to find out how much information Sanctuary actually had for her to tell her power company she was moving into the flat in February despite the housing manager only just getting in contact to find out where he was. So a complaint is going into Eon and Sanctuary and we are going to take advice and ask the bank to charge back the rent. My wife hasn't taken the death certificate to the bank yet to inform them of his passing.  
    • Yes, I believe the Starbucks was closed at the time the car was parked there 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ahh!!!

But that begs..... Or the right question to ask ought to be why then, since the introduction of reproduction systems (And it has been quite a while now) has not the specific section authorising lack of requirement of a signature not been amended....and to what purpose would that inactivity serve???

m2ae:rolleyes:

Because Parliament doesn't want to change the CCA/Regs, it wants to get rid of it.

Don't get me started! Lol

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it goes back much further than 1983 and to times when the only way to produce a "true copy" of a document was to handwrite it out

clearly it was not practical to re draw boxes and it would not be acceptable to copy signatures (not sure about the date bit)

it really is antiquated in this day and age when modern photocopiers can produce copies so faithfull to the original that forgers have actually reprodouced bank notes on photocopiers

nowadays, and until such time as some judge has the balls to say enough is enough- creditors hide behind its provisions to avoid producing what would the the obvious thing to produce...... a photopy of the original

Yes, it would be nice to know which questions you are asking and why, but I think this post clears things up somewhat about signature boxes and may clear up any misunderstanding, or any misleading that has been done in your circumstances?;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...t-1193633.html

car, I was asking two questions, apologies if I confused things.

Firstly, why was 3.2(b) put in as a reg in the first place? which you say is because of lack of photocopy machines at the time, and you having said that I wondered if that had actually been accepted in court or was just a view taken.

Secondly, would 3.2(a) counter 3.2(b)? which m2ae I think is saying no it would not? Although are you suggeting that the link you gave says it yes would?

If I understand correctly Peter was asking for Terms and Conditions to be supplied. He was saying that the highlighted part of Reg 3.2(a) in his post did not allow the OC to omit the Terms and Conditions. (have I understood that correctly?) Where as I referred in my post, to the same highlights but was referring to the omission of signatures.

Or is it the reference to 7.(1) that deals with signitures being required?

As to the "why" I asked? I thought that if the reason for there being reg 3.2 (b) was as simple and obvious as something like you say re:lack of photocopiers at the time, then an OC might be held to account for, as you say "any misleading that has been done".

I'm trying to understood these things better. Apologies..

Edited by mot22

I have looked at the above link and am interested to know if anyone out there who has had a cancellable agreement...when requesting a copy of the executed agreement has been sent with the date of signature missing also...if so then I think problems cos if the date is missing when it has not been authorised the rest of that particular copy would be questionable under the ''Waksman Test.

I have a funny feeling that ALL copies requested are missing date of signatures in relation to cancellable agreements...that means a sizeable proportion of copies do not meet the test and contravene the 1983/1557 Copies Of Documents Regs too.

m2ae

Edited by means2anend

Firstly, why was 3.2(b) put in as a reg in the first place? which you say is because of lack of photocopy machines at the time, and you having said that I wondered if that had actually been accepted in court or was just a view taken.

Not that I'm aware of, but there are several very informed members of this forum that take this view - not sure how much weight that carries, but it's a lot IMHO.

Secondly, would 3.2(a) counter 3.2(b)? which m2ae I think is saying no it would not? Although are you suggeting that the link you gave says it yes would?

If I understand correctly Peter was asking for Terms and Conditions to be supplied. He was saying that the highlighted part of Reg 3.2(a) in his post did not allow the OC to omit the Terms and Conditions. (have I understood that correctly?) Where as I referred in my post, to the same highlights but was referring to the omission of signatures.

Or is it the reference to 7.(1) that deals with signitures being required?

As to the "why" I asked? I thought that if the reason for there being reg 3.2 (b) was as simple and obvious as something like you say re:lack of photocopiers at the time, then an OC might be held to account for, as you say "any misleading that has been done".

I'm trying to understood these things better. Apologies..

I may have misunderstood the intentions behind the question - too many Haribo Tangfastics?

Anyhoo, previous discussions on the copies of docs regs have nearly always surrounded the "have they complied with my CCA request?" question. The more relevant question to ask is "can this be enforced, with the missing information and how reasonable is it to assume the information is missing because it's not required to be provided under the copy regs, or for some other (potentially misrepresenting the situation) motive?". ;):rolleyes:

I have looked at the above link and am interested to know if anyone out there who has had a cancellable agreement...when requesting a copy of the executed agreement has been sent with the date of signature missing also...if so then I think problems cos if the date is missing when it has not been authorised the rest of that particular copy would be questionable under the ''Waksman Test.

I have a funny feeling that ALL copies requested are missing date of signatures in relation to cancellable agreements...that means a sizeable proportion of copies do not meet the test and contravene the 1983/1557 Copies Of Documents Regs too.

m2ae

Yes and yes, but as I've said above, that doesn't mean the debt is unenforceable, as you won't know if the document is or isn't dated if they won't supply it under the CCA request due to the copy regs.

If a cancellable agreement isn't dated, it's improperly executed and incapable of enforcement as a result.

Not that I'm aware of, but there are several very informed members of this forum that take this view - not sure how much weight that carries, but it's a lot IMHO.

I may have misunderstood the intentions behind the question - too many Haribo Tangfastics?

Anyhoo, previous discussions on the copies of docs regs have nearly always surrounded the "have they complied with my CCA request?" question. The more relevant question to ask is "can this be enforced, with the missing information and how reasonable is it to assume the information is missing because it's not required to be provided under the copy regs, or for some other (potentially misrepresenting the situation) motive?". ;):rolleyes:

Yes and yes, but as I've said above, that doesn't mean the debt is unenforceable, as you won't know if the document is or isn't dated if they won't supply it under the CCA request due to the copy regs.

If a cancellable agreement isn't dated, it's improperly executed and incapable of enforcement as a result.

Naturally if the copy is not supplied then one would not know whether a sig was or was not on it...but by not supplying the copy any way puts the account in dispute..This is not really what I was concerned about...My main concern is that is focusing on NOW that lenders are becoming more 'proactive' in that s77/78 requests are being 'complied' with...that a large number of copies are being sent by them and confirmed as 'true' that IF a signature box is missing the fact that it IS cancellable would be indicative of this...I know that you have answered in the positive to this..

I'm just saying that we should not accept a copy as being 'true' just because the signature date is missing.....consumers may not realise that their agreement is cancellable

After all how many do in fact understand the definition of 'cancellable agreement' in the first place...

m2ae

I meant to also ask if anyone knows if there is any case Law having covered or referred to this or if/how it has been largely accepted by a court ?

Many thx

That is for their response to a request under s78 of the act. For documents in court, you should push for the original agreement.

If they seek to use a system copy, I beleive I am right in saying that this is hearsay evidence.

That is for their response to a request under s78 of the act. For documents in court, you should push for the original agreement.

If they seek to use a system copy, I beleive I am right in saying that this is hearsay evidence.

vint, thx, I am presuming a "system copy" is anything other than the physical original document with perscibed terms and signatures?

From occasional posts on other threads the OC are commenting on the enforceability of the document they send in response to s78 request, there may there for now be the point that an OC has an obligation to not mislead in regards to what it does and does not supply to a S78 request.

ie: they can say that what they have sent complies with a s78 request but they can't say it is enforceable if it is not.

ie: the OC knows what complies with a s78 but use signature omissions as per 3.2(b) to imply its more than just a reply to s78 because they know s61(1)(a) and 127(3) also apply. This is imo misleading!

This has no doubt been covered before (I'm new to all this) but is what I'm trying to get clarity on.

Thx also to car and m2ae and all, I appreciate the feedback/help. It can be really difficult to understand all this and as car and m2ae say, sometimes it's about needing to understand the correct questions to ask an OC.

Edited by mot22

I started work in the late 60's and every major office had either a large Rank Xerox or IBM photocopier back then - they actually became quite common in big businesses in the early 60's - well before the CCA 1974 - so that can't be the reason (unless Parliament and the Courts were behind the times even then:D).

BD.

I started work in the late 60's and every major office had either a large Rank Xerox or IBM photocopier back then - they actually became quite common in big businesses in the early 60's - well before the CCA 1974 - so that can't be the reason (unless Parliament and the Courts were behind the times even then:D).

BD.

Thx for that info, so I'm not the only "old codger" around here :)

Edited by mot22

Naturally if the copy is not supplied then one would not know whether a sig was or was not on it...but by not supplying the copy any way puts the account in dispute..This is not really what I was concerned about...My main concern is that is focusing on NOW that lenders are becoming more 'proactive' in that s77/78 requests are being 'complied' with...that a large number of copies are being sent by them and confirmed as 'true' that IF a signature box is missing the fact that it IS cancellable would be indicative of this...I know that you have answered in the positive to this..

I'm just saying that we should not accept a copy as being 'true' just because the signature date is missing.....consumers may not realise that their agreement is cancellable

After all how many do in fact understand the definition of 'cancellable agreement' in the first place...

m2ae

a word of caution here

many lenders will now send out what the say is a copy of your original agreement (but will be careful not to say it is a copy of an "executed" agreement)

remember that s78 requires the lender to provide a true copy of the "Executed" agreement- not an unexecuted one

similarly , in many court actions their witness statements are referring to original agrements - being careful to avoid the use of the word "executed"

you need to keep an eye out for this omission and where necessary press for clarification

That's a good point you make DD and I thoroughly understand their subtle subversive ploy in remaining silent on ''executed agreement'' so as not to ''draw attention'' to 189(1) definition of executed agreement....that the 'true copy' must have been taken from an agreement that satisfied the above section 189(1) 'signed by....... BOTH parties's...BUT my main concern is here in bold

3 General requirements as to form and content of copy document

(1) Subject to the following provisions of these Regulations, every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other document referred to in the Act and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act

shall be a true copy thereof.

(2) There may be omitted from any such copy--

(a) any information included in an executed agreement, security instrument or other document relating to the debtor,hirer or surety or included for the use of the creditor or owner only which is not required to be included therein by the

Act or any Regulations thereunder as to the form and content of the document of which it is a copy;

(b) any signature box, signature or date of signature (other than, in the case of a copy of a cancellable executed agreement delivered to the debtor under section 63(1) of the Act, the date of the signature by the debtor of an agreement to which section 68(b) of the Act applies)

It appears that the copies mentioned above in relation to s68(b) in section (b) aboveSTILL require a date of signature!!!!!..How many copies have we seen with that still intact???

m2ae

Edited by means2anend

That's a good point you make DD and I thoroughly understand their subtle subversive ploy in remaining silent on ''executed agreement'' so as not to ''draw attention'' to 189(1) definition of executed agreement....that the 'true copy' must have been taken from an agreement that satisfied the above section 189(1) 'signed by....... BOTH parties's...BUT my main concern is here in bold

3 General requirements as to form and content of copy document

(1) Subject to the following provisions of these Regulations, every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other document referred to in the Act and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act

shall be a true copy thereof.

(2) There may be omitted from any such copy--

(a) any information included in an executed agreement, security instrument or other document relating to the debtor,hirer or surety or included for the use of the creditor or owner only which is not required to be included therein by the

Act or any Regulations thereunder as to the form and content of the document of which it is a copy;

(b) any signature box, signature or date of signature (other than, in the case of a copy of a cancellable executed agreement delivered to the debtor under section 63(1) of the Act, the date of the signature by the debtor of an agreement to which section 68(b) of the Act applies)

It appears that the copies mentioned above in relation to s68(b) in section (b) aboveSTILL require a date of signature!!!!!..How many copies have we seen with that still intact???

m2ae

if they send a "generic copy" of the agreement ( ie a copy of the master which was used at the time) and re populate it with your details then it clearly would not contain the date or the signature - and would ONLY comply with their obligations if they then make a statement that it is a true copy of your EXECUTED agreement,

the ommission of the word executed clearly suggests (to me) that they do not have the original or copy of the original executed agreement and this then gets them out of the allegation that they have misled you into beleiving that what they sent you was a copy of the executed agreement

i personally would write back recorded delivery and demand a statement that what was sent is a true copy of an executed agreement - or alternatively an admission that they do not have the original agreement- with which to confirm that what was sent is a true copy

if they dont have the original (not even a microfiche of it) then how can they make a statement that what they produce is a TRue copy of the original document

ties them up in all sorts of knots if they dont come clean

i must admit most of mine have included the signature and date of signature of the debtor (it is the creditors sig and date that are missing usually)

clearly one that does not contain your signature should be viewed with suspicion-

I would view EVEN more as suspicious if they had a debtor's signature on it if we are to believe that most of the executed agreements way back had been destroyed...the two sets of circumstances and what we know now do not sit easily together with me

m2ae

DiddyDicky ...... read your last post but confused with 1st Credit answer ...... are they actually telling me they have sent a true copy of executed agreement ......... (you may remember they sent two generic T&Cs with my name and addresses just typed on ..... they put in their letter the following.....

"The two agreements are reconstructed agreements using details taken from Citi computer records and which is regarded as a "true copy" of original. Where a creditor receives a request to supply a copy of the executed agreement, the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 apply. Regulation 3(1) sets out that "every copy of an executed agreement shall be a true copy".

Regulation 3(2) goes on to state that there may be various information omitted from this true copy. Details which are not required to be in the agreement by law include the signaturelink3.gif box, signature and date of signature. Therefore the effect of Regulation 3(2) is that the creditor is only obliged to send out a generic copy of the agreement the debtor has signed up to. The creditor is not obliged to make an actual photocopy."

"The two copies sent to you refer to the original agreement with Associates and then the amended copy of your agreement with Citi"

"We would consider the documents provided are legally enforceable and will be prepared to place the matter before a Judge"

Thanks

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

DiddyDicky ...... read your last post but confused with 1st Credit answer ...... are they actually telling me they have sent a true copy of executed agreement ......... (you may remember they sent two generic T&Cs with my name and addresses just typed on ..... they put in their letter the following.....

"The two agreements are reconstructed agreements using details taken from Citi computer records and which is regarded as a "true copy" of original. Where a creditor receives a request to supply a copy of the executed agreement, the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 apply. Regulation 3(1) sets out that "every copy of an executed agreement shall be a true copy".

Regulation 3(2) goes on to state that there may be various information omitted from this true copy. Details which are not required to be in the agreement by law include the signaturelink3.gif box, signature and date of signature. Therefore the effect of Regulation 3(2) is that the creditor is only obliged to send out a generic copy of the agreement the debtor has signed up to. The creditor is not obliged to make an actual photocopy."

"The two copies sent to you refer to the original agreement with Associates and then the amended copy of your agreement with Citi"

"We would consider the documents provided are legally enforceable and will be prepared to place the matter before a Judge"

Thanks

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

the first sentence IMO still evades a direct confirmation that what they have provided is a true copy of the original "executed agreement" and then cleverly goes on to recite regulations regarding copies of executed agreement

i would write and ask them to confirm- for good orders sake- whether they are confirming if they have the original executed agreement in their possession and if not- by what means have they established that what they have "created" is a true copy of an executed agreement

tell them that you are equally confident that, in the absence of any confirmation from them that they have the original executed agreement in their possession - and which you will require production of - you beleive that they have been erroneously emboldened by mis reporting of certain recent cases and you are confident that a court will find that what they have falls far short of that which will give a cause of action and that rather than "rack up any furthe costs in the matter" that they get on with the court action they are so confident of winning

Hi - been reading this interesting thread - another thing that strikes me about this lark of theirs: without the actual contract how can you see if the 'form and content' is correct as per regulations, signature boxes etc on the right page and so forth??

Hi - been reading this interesting thread - another thing that strikes me about this lark of theirs: without the actual contract how can you see if the 'form and content' is correct as per regulations, signature boxes etc on the right page and so forth??

Because big financial institutions wouldn't enter in to an agreement that wasn't enforceable under the CCA, apparently :rolleyes:

NB: That's a joke, but is actually something that a Judge told me when he enforced an unenforceable debt against me! :evil:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks