• Tweets

• I do disagree with you regarding one thing - we are not very good with letters or these situations and are slow on the uptake. So far you have stood up to Excel and their threats, immediately given us the information in the sticky, done loads of reading up to educate yourselves, learnt from the mistake of outing the driver so you'll know not to do so in the future, got on to the organ grinder to try to get them to call off their dogs, etc., etc.  Good grief - we wish everyone who came here would do this!!! Most people who get these invoices sadly think they have been fined and if they don't pay a drone from Ukraine will be diverted and will fall on their home (or some such vague grand apocalyptic threat) and they fold and give in.  You haven't.  Well done. Don't worry - you won't be paying a penny.  Although it will take some time to see off this vile company.
    • Spot on!  You learn quickly. Who cares if the case gets sent to debt collectors?  They have no powers.  All the effort you will have to put in will be to open envelopes - and then spend time laughing at their daft "threats".  No stress at all!
    • I did ask them why, but seems they have more spare cash than we do .. ;-( .. I doubt their bank would even support a chargeback after a year has passed. Anyway I've constructed my first DRAFT Snotty Letter .. so here goes ..   RE: PCN 4xxxxx Dear ALLIANCE PARKING Litigation Dept, Thank you for your dubious Letter Of Claim (dated 29th April 2024) of £100 for just 2 minutes of overstay. The family rolled around on the floor in amazement of the idea you actually think they’d accept this nonsense, let alone being confused over the extra unlawful £70 you had added. Shall we raise that related VAT issue with HMRC, or perhaps the custodians of the unicorn grain silos? Apart from the serious GDPR breach you’ve made with the DVLA and your complete failure in identifying the driver, we’re dumbfounded that the PCN is still not compliant with the PoFA (2012 Schedule 4 Under Section 9.2.f) even after 12 years of pathetic trial and error. We also doubt a judge would be very impressed at your bone idleness and lack of due diligence regarding the ANPR entry / exit periods compared with actual valid parking periods. Especially with no consideration of the legally allowed grace periods and the topological nature of the Cornish landscape versus a traditional multi-storey. And don’t even get us started on the invisible signage during the ultra busy bank holiday carnage, that is otherwise known as the random parking chaos in the several unmarked over-spill fields, or indeed the tedious “frustration of contract” attempting to get a data connection to Justpark.  We suggest your clients drop this extreme foolishness or get an absolute hammering in court. We are more than ready to raise the issues with a fair minded judge, who will most likely laugh your clients out in less time than it takes to capture more useless ANPR photos. We will of course be requesting “an unreasonable costs order” under CPR 27.14.2.g and put it toward future taxis to Harlyn Bay instead.  We all look forward to your clients' deafening silence. Legal Counsel on behalf of the Vehicle Keeper.  
    • Hi,t I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right subsection but General Retail appears to be the closest to it I think... About a year and a half ago I got a new phone so I listed my iPhone 10 on eBay.  The listed stated 'UK only' and 'no returns accepted'. Considering I had had the phone for about 4 years, I myself was amazed that I had kept it in such good condition all that time - apart from being slightly scuffed around the charging port there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. It had the original box, its unopened original Apple cable, plug, and earbuds, and I threw in a case for it and It had always had a screen protector on it. Someone wanted it from Armenia, and I stupidly agreed to it.  She paid and I sent it off, fully insured. Not long after she received it, she sent a message saying it 'was not as described', so I asked to see photos of whatever was the problem.  She sent two photographs of the box.  Just the box.  I said I wasn't even going to consider refunding her unless she told me what she meant by 'not as described'.  I thought, if it's been damaged in transit, then it would be covered by the insurance. Anyway, she didn't respond at all, even though I had messaged her several times, so she opened a case with eBay. I have sold a fair few things of mine on eBay in the past buy had never had had anyone come back to me asking for a refund.  I got in touch with eBay several times by phone and by email, and found out they always side with the buyer, no matter what with their 'eBay Seller Guarantee'.  She had been told she could keep the phone and told me they would recover the money from me from my account blah blah.  So I unlinked all of my cards etc and changed my bank account to one that I never use with no money in it. My account got suspended.  I continued to try to explain to eBay that I had been scammed but I got nowhere. My account was permanently inaccessible by this point. I reported the phone stolen and the IMEI blacklisted but I'm not sure if that would make any difference being in Armenia, but it was all I could think of to piss the buyer off. A couple of months later I was contacted by email by a debt recovery company (I can' remember who now), to whom I explained I will not discuss the matter with them until I had received an SAR I had requested from eBay. As I could no longer access my account, I couldn't review the communication I needed to show I was not in the wrong. The SAR was produced but I was advised that the information I was looking for would not be included but I said I wanted it anyway.  There were so many codes etc. and hoops to jump through to access it, that even after trying whilst on the phone to them, I still couldn't get into it, so I never got to see it in the end.  I think they said they would send the code by post but they never did and I forgot about it after a while. I've just come across a couple of emails from Moorgroup, asking me to phone them to discuss a private matter regarding eBay.  I haven't replied or done anything at all yet.  The amount they are trying to recover from me is £200ish from what I remember. I know it's not that much but I don't want to pay the b*astards on general principle. I've had a lot of useful advice from CAG in the past about debt collectors but it has always been about being chased by creditors, I've never been in this situation before. I don't know what power they legally have to recover the 'debt', and most importantly, I am two years into a DRO, and the last thing I want is another CCJ to shake off if I'm cutting my nose off to spite my face.   Any advice gratefully received!!
    • Hi, I have the Sims 4 on Macbook. Over the last year I have paid for multiple add on packs spending a lot of money on them. I bought them all in good faith as my Mac met all the minimum requirements to play them. I have been playing happily for about a year and bought my latest pack just over a week ago. The games were all working fine yesterday. Then suddenly today EA released a new app to launch the games and this new app requires a MAC OS that my computer cannot use. Now suddenly none of my games are accessible and I am unable to play anything. They did not warn us about this change in requirements and if I had known they would be doing this I wouldn't have bought all these add ons as they are now all totally unusable. The games themselves have not changed, only their app to launch them and I can't afford to buy a brand new mac just to play. So my question is how can they change the minimum requirements after I have paid for a game? I agreed to pay for them based on the fact my mac met their requirements and was not informed when purchasing that this would be an issue in the future. I understand new games (like Sims 5 which is to be released next year) might not be compatible but this is a 10yr old game that they have suddenly made inaccessible due to their new launch app. Does anybody know if I can do anything or anyway to get a partial refund from them? Thanks   Here are their T&C... I can't find anything in there about them being able to do this so not sure what to do https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The overdraught however being a running account credit agreement is.

The determination however together with section 74 of the act says that these are exempt from part V of the act.

This means that all of the regulations involved in drafting and producing the agreements do not apply. The bank cannot send an agreement simply because one was never made and did not have to be.

To take advantage of the OFT determination, the bank still needs to send the 'overdraft agreement' in the form of a letter stating the limit, APR etc? I understand it as the exemption means prescribed terms etc. need not be included in the 'four corners' of the signature document but there is still an overdraft agreement letter.

We agree there is an agreement and it is regulated by the CCA. Can the bank state this at court on its POC, as it did mine, even though there is no 'agreement' as such to be sent to me?

I'm confused, there seems to be an agreement to be sent and no agreement so cannot be sent. The bank has said there is an agreement regulated by the CCA 1974 but that there is no agreement to be sent to me.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been trying to read this thread all day and my head is well and truly boggled! I just wondered if anyone had had any luck with an S85 claim?

Also would I be right in saying that sections 59 to 61 only came into being on 19th May 1985 so an agreement prior to that could be an application form and have no signature and still be enforceable? Am a bit concerned about S61 - should I be??

Also can someone tell me if S127 (3) has gone completely or only for contracts after 2006?

Finally, if you took out a 0% credit card deal and it suggested a normal APR of 14.9% and it is now 29.9% could you challenge that under sections i or j of the UTT Regulations 1999?

Edited by BlueSquirrel
Wrong section quoted

Hello BlueSquirrel!

Also would I be right in saying that sections 59 to 61 only came into being on 19th May 1985 so an agreement prior to that could be an application form and have no signature and still be enforceable?

I don't know, but would think it would still have to have the Prescribed Terms to be Enforceable. I would also like to know, as I have one from just before 1983!

Also can someone tell me if S127 (3) has gone completely or only for contracts after 2006?

No, s127(3) still applies to Agreements made before the CCA 2006 amendments, the repeal of 127(3) was not retrospective. If you need confirmation of that, I'll try to dig out the references, but I know many of PT's Defences specifically mention this to keep duffer Judges on their toes.

Cheers,

BRW

Perhaps you're looking at the version of the 1974 act that includes the updates & amendments?

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

HI

A bank account without overdraft facility is not covered by the CCA,as it is not offering credit

The overdraft hwever does and is in fact as i said earlier a running account credit agreememnt. Section 74 of the act removes the liability for the bank to draw up an agreement each time an overdraft is issued so it can not of course respond to a request for a copy of one, however an "agreement" does exist on the overdraft as indeed it must on any commercial agreement involving the issuance of credit so the cca can be applied to it except for the bits included within part V.

Section 1273-4 were recinded on April 7th 2007 any agreememnts made after this date still have to have all the terms and conditions within the signature document but it is up to the court to decide whether the ommission of any of these would make the agreemement unenforceable.

Agreememnt made prior to April 7th which breached 127 were automatically unenforceable.

It is perhaps simpler to say that prescribed terms no longer exist after this date as they are only there to service section 127 3, and would be regarded by the court as just missing information, a judgmemtn would be made depending on the amount of predudice cause, to the debtor by there ommission.

THe timescale for the introduction of the various parts of the CCA 2006 are contained within the 2006 itself under transitional provisions(at the end.

Agreememnts made before May 1983 were actionable in the same way as any private agreement. The CCA laid down the format for the protection of commertial agreememnts after this date.

Regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hello Peter!

Agreememnts made before May 1983 were actionable in the same way as any private agreement. The CCA laid down the format for the protection of commertial agreememnts after this date.

Could you possibly clarify that for me, as I have one "Agreement" for a Credit Card that was made in late 1982.

All I have been sent is a Microfiche Copy of an Application Form. There are no Prescribed Terms, indeed, I cannot even see any mention of the CCA-1974. It only mentions Terms by saying "overleaf". However, there is no overleaf. They have sent me some Terms on another Scan that seem to contain at least 2 of the usual Card Prescribed Terms. But the latter is clearly unrelated in Physical Terms to the Agreement Copy, i.e. size/shape is not the same, so it's not a Copy of anything that was on the rear/back of the Signature Page. It's clearly a Copy of another Document.

Broadly, is my position weakened by being so old, or is an Agreement made in 1982 still covered by, say, CCA-1974 s127(3)?

Sorry to hassle you with this.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Clarification of Rear

Thank you Peter, just trying to establish the date when sections 59 and 61 came in as I have an agreement from Feb 1985. I thought the relevent date was May 85 not 83 or have I got that wrong?

HI

Various bits of the act come into opperation at different times thes are shown in scedule 3 of the act.

THe requiememnts for form and content (SI 1983 1553 )came into force in may 1985 sorry.

Peter

• Haha 1

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi

I have just joined and this is my first post so hope I am in the right place - if not sorry!

I have a number of debts for credit cards and loans dating from 2003 (major house fire, lost everything, lost the plot for a while, same old story and know it was my fault that I let it all go) and these have been defaulted by the companies concerned (one is a CCJ) and passed down from them to different DCAs.

My understanding is these debts won't become statute barred (correct me if I am wrong) for a long time as I have been in communication with all of them at some point since they defaulted in 2003 and had been trying to make some form of payment as and when I could. This has not been possible for some months now and the debts have been passed on again. Companies that are now contacting me are the likes of Robinson Way, Moorcroft and Westcot and the letters are becoming increasingly unpleasant and threatening. I have also received a letter from Nelson Guest and Partners in behalf of Westcot threatening court proceedings. To be honest I have lost touch with what the balances on all of these are as they have been passed from one DCA to another so often. I am also unsure if the monies being demanded include any charges etc.

Is it possible for me to make a CCA request from each of the DCAs or will the fact that I have made some form of payment over the years mean they will just state that I know the debt exists as I have made some payment towards it?

Also one of the debts that always used to come just in my name has suddently started being sent to the joint names of my husband and I - this has never happened before and I cannot recall if his income and details were asked for on the application form (loan with Halifax).

This is really getting me confused and distressed so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Deb

HI

Various bits of the act come into opperation at different times thes are shown in scedule 3 of the act.

THe requiememnts for form and content (SI 1983 1553 )came into force in may 1985 sorry.

Peter

So pre 1985 there is no unenforceability? What if the Creditor can't produce the agreement at all??

Hi

I have just joined and this is my first post so hope I am in the right place - if not sorry!

I have a number of debts for credit cards and loans dating from 2003 (major house fire, lost everything, lost the plot for a while, same old story and know it was my fault that I let it all go) and these have been defaulted by the companies concerned (one is a CCJ) and passed down from them to different DCAs.

My understanding is these debts won't become statute barred (correct me if I am wrong) for a long time as I have been in communication with all of them at some point since they defaulted in 2003 and had been trying to make some form of payment as and when I could. This has not been possible for some months now and the debts have been passed on again. Companies that are now contacting me are the likes of Robinson Way, Moorcroft and Westcot and the letters are becoming increasingly unpleasant and threatening. I have also received a letter from Nelson Guest and Partners in behalf of Westcot threatening court proceedings. To be honest I have lost touch with what the balances on all of these are as they have been passed from one DCA to another so often. I am also unsure if the monies being demanded include any charges etc.

Is it possible for me to make a CCA request from each of the DCAs or will the fact that I have made some form of payment over the years mean they will just state that I know the debt exists as I have made some payment towards it?

Also one of the debts that always used to come just in my name has suddently started being sent to the joint names of my husband and I - this has never happened before and I cannot recall if his income and details were asked for on the application form (loan with Halifax).

This is really getting me confused and distressed so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Deb

Deb, it will be in your interests to start your own thread rather than tag on to an established one. You can start a new thread by clicking on the following link and hitting the button "new thread". Once you have posted some idea of your sitation, people will pop in and help out with advice.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/

The answer to your question is, yes, you can CCA any of the DCAs who are asking you for payment, regardless of whether you have made a payment or not. .

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Quote:

7.3 Where a claim is based upon a written agreement:

(1) a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing, and

(2) any general conditions of sale incorporated in the contract should also be attached (but where the contract is or the documents constituting the agreement are bulky this practice direction is complied with by attaching or serving only the relevant parts of the contract or documents).

According to CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3, the original agreement should be available at a court hearing. Has anyone had any actual experience though of asking to see the original document where the claimant has just provided a copy, which could, of course, be a reconstructed copy with the signatures scanned in. I have some hearings coming up soon and would be interested to know whether a court is likely to take any request to see the original seriously, as in theory they should (according to CPR Practice Direction) thanks, Magda

Hello Magda!

I think the main problem to date has been a complete lack of awareness of CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3.

Had this come to light on CAG earlier, I'm sure many more people would've been able to question the validity of crabby Prints, Electronic Scans, Microfiche Scans and cobbled-together-via-Photoshop "Agreements"!

Mentioning CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3 should've been a knock-out blow to floor any bankers waving a Copy Agreement around but, sadly, many Consumers hauled into Court just did not know about it...and many paid the price too!

The task now is to make sure everyone on CAG is aware of this, and adds it to any Defence, as indeed Paul/PT2537 is now doing.

The Agreement is a Statutory Document, and should not be scanned and shredded while the Agreement is still Live. The banks will bleat on about how they could not be expected to keep all Agreements, but don't let them get away with this. The only ones they need to keep are the Live ones and, even then, only for 6 Years after the Agreement expires. Once past that, they can Scan and Shred till their little banking hearts are content. But not before that.

After all, how hard can it be to store a Sheet or two of Paper, given the importantence of that key Document?

The bankers and their lawyers would rather sweep this little issue under the carpet, as 99% of them have shredded their live Agreements, despite CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3.

Likewise, might be worth mentioning the Anti-Money Laundering issues too, as I believe they are required to retain the Original Agreements for 6 Years after the Agreement ends.

Finally, don't forget the Civil Evidence Act 1995. This is not really aimed at important Documents such as Statutory Agreements, but does cover most other things, such as routine business paperwork, correspondence and documents.

In a nutshell, Original Documents are Evidence, any copies are just Hearsay Evidence and carry a significantly lower weight because they are no longer regarded as primary Evidence.

If the bankers want to produce any Copies of routine bumf, then they have to give you and the Court prior notice in view of CEA-1995. Likewise, if they want these copies to be taken seriously, then they better have a complete Audit Trail of their Document Management Procedures, i.e. something that is Independently Verified and Certified!

Who here trusts the word of a banker? Not me for sure! So I would not be happy to rely on a banker's word that what they have produced is a copy of the real Document. I'm not referring to Agreements here, just copies of routine bumf. Agreements are already covered by CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3 so should not need to come under CEA-1995.

In summary, that's two new strings to your bow:

(1) Original Agreements are required in Court because of:

CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3

(2) Any other Paperwork needed in Court needs to be Original if it is to be considered as Evidence, otherwise, it's Hearsay Evidence, and if they want that to be taken seriously, they'll need to comply with:

Civil Evidence Act 1995

...and have some back-up details to show how they manage these copies.

Repeat after me...only the Original Agreement will do!

I do hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

So pre 1985 there is no unenforceability? What if the Creditor can't produce the agreement at all??

HI

In my view if there is no agreememnt then it is game over.

It is rarely as simple as that in practice though as the creditor will invariabley try to fudge the issue by producing statemements or application forms.

I have found that the best course is not to deny the debt but to deny that you were given the statutory rights and protection that a properly formated agrement affords you and therefore unenforceable and void.

After all that was in order to garrentee that protection that the act was deigned in the first place.

Usually (not always) the creditor will not go to court if they do not have any agreemement no matter what they say.

Regards

Petr

Hi Citizen B

I have just started a new thread - thanks for your reply.

Deb

Here is the link to Deb's thread. :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/154876-cca-advice-debts-please.html#post1650028

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello Magda!

I think the main problem to date has been a complete lack of awareness of CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3.

Had this come to light on CAG earlier, I'm sure many more people would've been able to question the validity of crabby Prints, Electronic Scans, Microfiche Scans and cobbled-together-via-Photoshop "Agreements"!

Mentioning CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3 should've been a knock-out blow to floor any bankers waving a Copy Agreement around but, sadly, many Consumers hauled into Court just did not know about it...and many paid the price too!

The task now is to make sure everyone on CAG is aware of this, and adds it to any Defence, as indeed Paul/PT2537 is now doing.

The Agreement is a Statutory Document, and should not be scanned and shredded while the Agreement is still Live. The banks will bleat on about how they could not be expected to keep all Agreements, but don't let them get away with this. The only ones they need to keep are the Live ones and, even then, only for 6 Years after the Agreement expires. Once past that, they can Scan and Shred till their little banking hearts are content. But not before that.

After all, how hard can it be to store a Sheet or two of Paper, given the importantence of that key Document?

The bankers and their lawyers would rather sweep this little issue under the carpet, as 99% of them have shredded their live Agreements, despite CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3.

Likewise, might be worth mentioning the Anti-Money Laundering issues too, as I believe they are required to retain the Original Agreements for 6 Years after the Agreement ends.

Finally, don't forget the Civil Evidence Act 1995. This is not really aimed at important Documents such as Statutory Agreements, but does cover most other things, such as routine business paperwork, correspondence and documents.

In a nutshell, Original Documents are Evidence, any copies are just Hearsay Evidence and carry a significantly lower weight because they are no longer regarded as primary Evidence.

If the bankers want to produce any Copies of routine bumf, then they have to give you and the Court prior notice in view of CEA-1995. Likewise, if they want these copies to be taken seriously, then they better have a complete Audit Trail of their Document Management Procedures, i.e. something that is Independently Verified and Certified!

Who here trusts the word of a banker? Not me for sure! So I would not be happy to rely on a banker's word that what they have produced is a copy of the real Document. I'm not referring to Agreements here, just copies of routine bumf. Agreements are already covered by CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3 so should not need to come under CEA-1995.

In summary, that's two new strings to your bow:

(1) Original Agreements are required in Court because of:

CPR Practice Direction 16 7.3

(2) Any other Paperwork needed in Court needs to be Original if it is to be considered as Evidence, otherwise, it's Hearsay Evidence, and if they want that to be taken seriously, they'll need to comply with:

Civil Evidence Act 1995

...and have some back-up details to show how they manage these copies.

Repeat after me...only the Original Agreement will do!

I do hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

HI

In my view if there is no agreememnt then it is game over.

It is rarely as simple as that in practice though as the creditor will invariabley try to fudge the issue by producing statemements or application forms.

I have found that the best course is not to deny the debt but to deny that you were given the statutory rights and protection that a properly formated agrement affords you and therefore unenforceable and void.

After all that was in order to garrentee that protection that the act was deigned in the first place.

Usually (not always) the creditor will not go to court if they do not have any agreemement no matter what they say.

Regards

Petr

Information squirrelled away for future use. Many thanks both. :D

BCOBS

Hello Peter!

Regarding my 1982 Application Form...any advice you can give on how to tackle that would be greatly appreciated.

I just do not know how an Application Form with no Prescribed Terms relates to the CCA 1974, i.e. a lot of amendments to the Act came after 1982, so what protection do I have do you think?

IOW, how much of the 1974 Act covers me in 1982...if at all!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

BRW

Hi

Just double checked in the CCA Sched 3(Sub40)

sections 123 were not active untill may 1985 so the automatic unenforrceablity of agreements would not apply before then.

Regards

Peter

Hello Peter!

Regarding my 1982 Application Form...any advice you can give on how to tackle that would be greatly appreciated.

I just do not know how an Application Form with no Prescribed Terms relates to the CCA 1974, i.e. a lot of amendments to the Act came after 1982, so what protection do I have do you think?

IOW, how much of the 1974 Act covers me in 1982...if at all!

Edited by Dodgeball
Hollihocks

HI

Please ignore the last post having a blonde day

I saw 1982 and read 1992.

To all intents and purposes the aggreememtn would be unregulated if made before 1985

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks