Council tax - Bailiffs added £185??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We missed some council tax and the bailiffs came around the other month- no previous contact.OH let them in (I now know never to do that!) and he signed an agreement to pay x amount over 3 months putting the car as 'property' (all we've got!) and paid nearly £300 there and then.We paid 1 day late in Sept but it cleared. I was about to pay yesterday (1 day early) and got home to a hand posted letter saying they'd come to seize the car, which wasn't there fortunately.But I tried to pay last night on automated line and it wouldn't let me.OH called them today to see what's happening. They said because we were one day late last month the agreement was cancelled. (They didn't tell us this at the time? No correspondance whatsoever and they accepted the payment.)They've now added £185 on top for extra fees?That seems extortionate?Do we have a leg to stand on?(Dukes Bailiffs)

This is the great problem in that they are so inflexible, in reality they don't want your car but an excuse to load their charges. They do have to rights but there are still some things you can do.

1 - how much CT do you owe as confirmed by the Council

2 - is there only the 1 Liability Order

3 - how much is still outstanding as confirmed by the Council

4 - what payments have you made to date

5 - is your car on finance

6 - how old is your car

7 - what value would you put on the car

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok get in touch with the council, ask how much is owing on the liability order.

Contact Dukes and request how much fees have been added and get a break down of fees and charges.

You can pay what you owe to the council if bailiffs have cancelled your repayment plan. Let the council know and start paying the council using their online payment facility.

Speak to some one in benefits and revenues, the manager if you can and explain what has happened.

Dukes will shaft you as long as they can. This will help for starters.

Thanks.Spoke to the council. (well, cried to the council :( ) They said it is our fault. Need to pay. They will set up another payment plan if we want.Will just put our heads down and pay it :( Too stressful

It's good they will set up another plan for you but what they have not said is that you will still have to pay the Bailiff charges - I would be very surprised if they have dismissed these. Take time to gather your thoughts and plan a way forward.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One hour to pay is not reasonable, but then neither are Dukes, whatever they do you must ask the council how much is left owing and also request a fee breakdown from dukes then compare the two.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!