British Gas changed my tariff

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had an online Dual Fuel tariff with British Gas. In July 2010 they changed it to a Standard Tariff, which is much more expensive. They "informed" me by way of a small notice on my bill. I have been on their most expensive tariff for 14 months without noticing. I feel this is deliberately intended to place people on expensive tariffs. How many people scrutinize a Fuel Bill? Especially an online one? And why not send me an email or letter if they wanted to act in good faith? I am considering small claims court or arbitration to recover the money I am out of pocket. Any advice?

It is usually on your bill that your current tarrif arrangement is coming to an end and unless you contact them to switch to a new on they will just transfer you to their standard one; agree this is not ideal and you have to be vigilant.

I suugest you contact service dept via mail anf ask them to look into it and see if they can offer you anything.

I have done this a few times and they have been quite good. Even giving me cash back when I suggested I was going to switch.

if you dont ask you dont get.

web saver 11 or 12 is the lowest current one I believe

A bit of a cartel if you ask me, they are all as bad as one another!

they just share out the market between them.

You never see any Ultility companies in trouble as they just put costs up to protect their profit - captive market.

It is usually on your bill that your current tarrif arrangement is coming to an end and unless you contact them to switch to a new on they will just transfer you to their standard one; agree this is not ideal and you have to be vigilant.

I suugest you contact service dept via mail anf ask them to look into it and see if they can offer you anything.

I have done this a few times and they have been quite good. Even giving me cash back when I suggested I was going to switch.

if you dont ask you dont get.

web saver 11 or 12 is the lowest current one I believe

They have, technically, given me notice via my bill. My point is that most people don't read the small print, so the notice was so discrete as to be invalid. I have spoken to them and they will not offer any kind of compensation. Yes the tariff you suggest is a cheaper one, but I feel like switching from British Gas as I despise their deviousness.

Has anyone had any luck taking them to court over issues like this?

I doubt it; you would have signed up to a one year contract for a certain tarrif scheme, and when that comes to an end, you either sign up to another one or it reverts to standard. All in their contract so no luck there.

Just pays to be vigilant. they did give me some cash back when I threatened to switch.

Hi Andy

You need to write Formal Letter of Complaint , mark it as such. Explain whats happened, why you are angry and what you want them to do about it.

Phoning them up will get you nowhere. Tell them that if they don't resolve the matter to your satisfaction you will lodge a complaint with OFGEM. Sent it to:-

Sam Laidlaw, Chief Executive

[email protected]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

They have, technically, given me notice via my bill. My point is that most people don't read the small print, so the notice was so discrete as to be invalid. I have spoken to them and they will not offer any kind of compensation. Yes the tariff you suggest is a cheaper one, but I feel like switching from British Gas as I despise their deviousness.

Has anyone had any luck taking them to court over issues like this?