• Tweets

• Looks promising then.  Well done   Dx
    • So a little update.  I sent a complaint to ico and have heard nothing. I just got the general reply email and that's it.  Sat twiddling my thumbs and thought about what I should do next. I searched for the CEO of Studio but then found that he'd left so as keep getting letters from studio about the arrears etc. I thought I'd email the David Twigg. Sent him all the bumpft and a copy of my original complaint and sars request.  Got no response. So didn't know what else to do. Then I thought I'd try through the financial difficulties option on the online form. One last try before I just give up and let them default me.  Then on the 5th June. I got an email from their customer services. That the items that had gone AWOL have all been cancelled. Nothing else on that email, so I had a look in an email account that I don't use anymore and there was an email from the customer service.  That they were sorry for the problems I've had for the last 9 months. That the sars info was emailed to me on 14/04, it wasn't I've kept all spam and deleted emails on that account, they have raised a complaint with their studio pay team regarding the issues, balance dispute, fee's and my credit file. They are hoping to resolve in 3 days but they have upto 56. They also said in regards to my other issues I have to raise a complaint with studio retail but haven't told me how I do that.  The sars info only goes upto the end of December 2023. It has my previous complaints on there but nothing after so I don't know how I get hold of that information. Luckily I've kept copies of every time I've contacted them. Every web chat or social media contact.  Apologies for the extremely long post but I wanted to add everything I could just incase.  I have checked my account balance and it's still minus 900 odd pounds but I'll keep checking to see if it's all cleared and on my credit file.  I'm hoping this is the end of the whole debacle and they close my account because I never want to do this again. Although it's been a learning experience.  Thanks to dx100uk for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated.   
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • If you want to cause DCBL trouble, then complain to the SRA.  It would be even more fun if mystic_bertie would complain at the same time, to show the SRA there is a pattern.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

New rules for employment tribunals from April 2012

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4605 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is really bad news and just another example of our law-makers not having a clue about how "ordinary" people live. I took my employer to tribunal for constructive unfair dismissal ~ no relevant insurance and couldn't afford representation, so I did it myself. Not surprisingly I lost the case ~ my employers had a barrister. But at least I was able to TRY to get some justice. There is no way I could've even afforded the initial £250, let alone the £1000 to bring the case to tribunal.

All over the media one hears that "bullying and harassment will not be tolerated" but in practical terms it's tolerated all the time, and if our small chance of redress is taken away because of these costs, what chance does anyone have?

these are just propsals

the tories are all godd at hot air and publicity stunts but have any of the policies in the manifesto come into fact yet

not one

says it all

Well, I hope you're right, post. I tend to agree with the view about politicians living a form of La la land, although it won't be my one, :) they can have a parallel universe.

I don't know about 'not one policy' implemented because I'm not that well informed, but is what they're doing about benefit reform from the manifesto?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Appalling proposals and people need to consider the inevitable consequences and drop their MP an email expressing their concerns.

This government are no better than the last in terms of being intent on eroding the rights of the average person and if made Law, we will see many thousands of employees simply abused without any course of action available to them!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Appalling proposals and people need to consider the inevitable consequences and drop their MP an email expressing their concerns.

This government are no better than the last in terms of being intent on eroding the rights of the average person and if made Law, we will see many thousands of employees simply abused without any course of action available to them!

That's how I see it going, SW. From this forum's side of things, employees are having a tough enough time already.

In a way I'm surprised that a group of lawyers is looking to pass up the opportunity of the current number of ET cases for fellow lawyers, but maybe my paranoia has gone too far :madgrin:.

My best, HB

So far this is simply the Tories trying to look tough.

Surely enacting this would require changes to employment law. Can they be so silly as to take on the Unions at this time over employment law when they are already in dispute over civil service jobs and pensions?

Edited by CONCILLIATOR
spelling mistake

I agree that there needs to be a fair system in place to protect the employees from unfair dismissal, however I also agree that it should not be so easy for employees to just take any company to court as they please. I am sure the courts don't have the time or money to waste on employees thinking they can just get away with 'trying their luck', simply because they know its a win-win situation, and they have nothing to lose in the process.

I hope that does not come across in the wrong way. If there is a genuine case for unfair dismissal, I am all for it, however I don't like to see people taking advantage and abusing the system.

Two years does seem like a long time though.

Paul,

Employers seem to think that they can rob you of your livelihood with impunity and scant regard for morals or the law.

Witness the number of people who use this forum who do not know their employment rights, or that they are entitled by law to have written statements of terms and conditions of employment.

Some do not even know what a contract of employment is.

Hardly taking advantage of the system for an employee to fight for his/her job, a basic human right in most of the rest of the world.

Vince Cable, said the rules would save UK businesses £6m a year and encourage them to take on more staff.

The sums used to justify this latest attack on workers are ridiculously small.

There are approx 4.8million businesses in the UK.

£6m equates to £1.25 per business per year.

How many jobs will that create in a year Vince?

I would imagine as an average,businesses spend more on management coffee in a day than they lose in Employment Tribunals in a year.

Statistics.

Apologies for any misunderstanding I only read the blog briefly:

My earlier post should have read:

From the 1 april 2012 the qualifiyig period for bringing an ET claim will extend from 1 year to two years service.

The other law changes mentioned above are just proposals.

How on earth is someone who has lost a pay packet and a livelyhood going to even contemplate paying out these sums if the the above proposals become law?

Edited by madari

How on earth is someone who has lost a pay packet and a livelyhood going to even contemplate paying out these sums if the the above proposals become law?

This would be a good opportunity for the legal insurance people to look at their policy terms, but I guess they're not going to be in a hurry to pay out more.

My best, HB

Hmm, it says though that the money paid for lodging a claim and those if the case goes to a hearing will be refunded if you win (as it is more or less now, in case of bond to be paid to continue with proceedings and which will be refunded once the case has been won) so I think it is quite OK. Besides, you pay the money to bring in civil proceedings now, anyway...

Maybe I would just argue that to pay one grand if the case reaches the hearing is definitely too much. That would be on top of any bond, wouldn't it?

Who agrees though that apart from that one grand, it is actually a bit motivating to win the case once you pay for bringing it?

I read a lot of comments from people who represented themselves in ET and who lost the case.

I feel sorry for all of them, naturally, but I think many are making a fundamental mistake in assumption that the judges are automatically and always on the side of such claimants.

Just as automatical assumption claimants who lost the case make that the judge must have been corrupted, is racist, etc., as automatic assumption the judges will make to see unrepresented claimants suing their employer - that such claimants must be crazily brave people who probably only want to greadily obtain some money or hope that they gonna force the employer to settle.

Meanwhile, the reality is that the employer can have a bunch of barristers yet an unrepresented claimant will win if he or she will be able to conduct the case like a professional, show that a law has been broken, give analogical examples, provide excellent evidence at the hearing (including excellent cross-examination of the respondents or others) - in other words, although unrepresented, he or she will be expected to do all the thinking, writing or cross-examining.

The judge or the tribunal panel is a body that STILL needs to be provided everything as if on the tray so to make a decision. Therefore, if the practice direction in some section says that unrepresented claimants will be given a leeway, it is actually offending because the only meaning to it is that they will be considered wrong... Straight away in the beginning of the process.

It is as well absolutely crazy to me, even with current legislation, to be able to bring a claim of constructive dismissal only once having worked at least one year. If it says so, why there are some past cases when claimants were winning such, having worked less than a year? It is simply illogical and contrary to the foundations of the concept of justice to impose any time limit in terms of years of service against the allowance to seek that justice.

Knowing myself, I will probably send a petition to the government. You can do it as well, guys. The more of us, the better.

You allright honeybee, sweetheart, anyway? Haven't seen you for ages! :-)

Edited by ms_smith

on the proposal of costs to list a claim

that should be left alone and leave it up to the judges if they decide it has merit or vexatious action

as i understand it that is capped at 500 quid deposit if granted

I'm sorry, I don't understand, ms_smith ~ I didn't have to pay any bond to take my employers to ET in 2010.

Hi, no, I didn't mean you specifically, darling. Sorry if you got that impression. I was speaking in general terms.

Thanks for that, but I didn't know anyone had to pay a bond.

Well, apart from the topic of changes in 2012, now you know... :p

It worked for me because today I have in my hand a document where they confess they forged protocols! Who knows if I had it at all, if I didn't have to pay the bond, put all my cards on the table straight away during PHR and their lawyers would sift all the papers more thoughtfully...

Anyway, my case is still going, it is on the appeal stage, as it should, because the hearing itself confirmed part of my Claims - not a British woman (I had the judge and one of the lay members in the panel) should ever get down to assess my case... Sorry, it is obvious bias due to strictly my case details... Hope you do not make too hasty conclusions that I am a racist or so... :|

Speaking of which, can you guys recommend any good guide book for civil/county/crown court claims? I have to sue them for stalking... Do not plan to get any lawyer because the one I initially had for ET, ruined my case in a way...

It is OK, caducea, I understand.

Edited by ms_smith

• 3 weeks later...

This is poorly thought through.

If someone relies on EU Law in their case, they ought to put on their Application, as a Preliminary point, that the fee ought to be waived as it is incompatible with

the EU law provision that they rely on and that if it is not waived, then their position is reserved, as the fee cannot be objectively justified against the attainment

of the EU legal provisions objective.

Whilst this point will not succeed if you are a millionaire, the imposition of fees to limit the number of claimants, irrespective of the merits of their case, is a breach

by the United Kingdom of EU provisions to confer rights upon citizens of the EU by the implementation of Regulations and Directives to which the UK must give

full effect. Because an Employment Tribunal is a manifestation of the State for the purposes of EU law, it must decide the point on receipt of an Application. Apart from the Respondent employer not being put on the same conditions, the only way by which such a prejudicial provision can be objectively justified is by a Legal Aid type means test.

The short sightedness of the measure will no doubt cost hundreds of millions of pounds, because at some point the ECJ will rule against the Member State, and all

the cases that could have been brought but which were not brought, will have to be heard or paid off, because the claim can be brought against the Member State.

However, it is an even money bet, that the Employment Tribunals will themselves correct the defects of any legislation by imposing the above inquiry on Financial

Means as I have set, because it is offensive and contrary to any notion of justice, that the merits of case or absence of merits and access to Tribunals, is conditional

upon how much available money an individual has, to lodge their claim. This is true in respect of all mature legal systems, and therefore there is no point in anyone

attempting to characterise such a requirement as a further erosion of UK sovereignty.

Bad law is Bad Law, and this is very bad if not revealing of the complete lack of foresight, capacity and skill of those, entrusted to promote the interests of employers

and employees alike.

If true this is sad news. The Government should be safeguarding jobs, far too many employers now are using the desperation of job searchers and the over full market to get labour on the cheap.

This is especially true of the large sales and telesales Company's who employ people for a 'qualifying period' then get rid of them on basis of not achieving 'unrealistic' goals and so recycle the jobs without incurring the normal expenses that go with long term employment.

It's these 'non employers' the Government should be clamping down on with the misery they bring to employee's who think they have finally made it off of the jobs search merry go round.