Supplier contacting me at home

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

At work we're having some difficulty with a supplier.

Today, I received a recorded delivery letter at home. I looked at it before I signed for it, saw who it was from and refused it.

Questions for the experts please:

1. can they legally do this? I am an employee, not a manager or director

2. my family is very worried that someone will turn up - do I have any options as regards to banning them from contacting me, deleting my personal data. I am worried that will start to use my details and pass them on to other parties such as DCAs.

3. can I sue them for harassment? This has, to be frank, wrecked this weekend.

I won't go into too much detail of the company & dispute here as I'm fairly confident that they search the web for such posts, but if any moderator wants to know more, please PM me.

Any advice or thoughts welcome as always.

Many thanks

Any advice or opinion given is done so in the spirit of goodwill and assistance, but please note I'm not legally trained or qualified, only hoping to help. My advice or opinion is based on experience in my life, and research from forums such as this and other useful sites.

Please seek professional legal advice if you are in any doubt about what to do next with your personal case.

There are many threads on this forum to help you and I do recommend searching around to see what steps others have taken. You're in good hands with CAG-

buy a ConsumerActionGroup.co.uk email address, and help to keep this forum going!

If you like what I say, feel free to give those scales a tickle :-)

Hi all

At work we're having some difficulty with a supplier.

Today, I received a recorded delivery letter at home. I looked at it before I signed for it, saw who it was from and refused it. How have they got your home address? If from work then the DP Act applies

Questions for the experts please:

1. can they legally do this? I am an employee, not a manager or director NO

2. my family is very worried that someone will turn up - do I have any options as regards to banning them from contacting me, deleting my personal data. I am worried that will start to use my details and pass them on to other parties such as DCAs. If it were me, I'd send them a notice to cease and desist all contact and quote the DP Act as well as the Protection from Harassment Act

3. can I sue them for harassment? This has, to be frank, wrecked this weekend. Once a notice has been served to cease any further acts of the same are considered to be act/s of harassment

I won't go into too much detail of the company & dispute here as I'm fairly confident that they search the web for such posts, but if any moderator wants to know more, please PM me.If your local Council office has a Trading Standards desk, pop in and ask to have a chat with one of the officers, see what they can offer

Any advice or thoughts welcome as always.

Go to work on Monday and play Holy Hell about them contacting you at home, and maybe

mention that if it happens again that the police will become involved..

Many thanks

Good Luck & Best Wishes, DAVE - DMD.

Hi Dave

I can only presume they have found me on 192.com or similar, no way would they have got my details from work.

I will be sending them a letter from work instructing them to stop contacting me at home, to remove my details and to tell me how and where they obtained them, and if they have disclosed them. I'll also be asking for their data protection registration number (they also supply consumers).

I wondered about making a complaint to the police anyway, my family are really worried that someone will come round to the house.

They have a regulatory body, so they'll be informed too.

I really, badly, want to screw them over for what they've done. The only thing they understand is money. What are my chances of getting something out of them, even if it's £100 just to show them I won't be messed with like this.

Thanks for your input!

Any advice or opinion given is done so in the spirit of goodwill and assistance, but please note I'm not legally trained or qualified, only hoping to help. My advice or opinion is based on experience in my life, and research from forums such as this and other useful sites.

Please seek professional legal advice if you are in any doubt about what to do next with your personal case.

There are many threads on this forum to help you and I do recommend searching around to see what steps others have taken. You're in good hands with CAG-

buy a ConsumerActionGroup.co.uk email address, and help to keep this forum going!

I am confused - what purpose would a supplier have in contacting you at home?!? That seems VERY strange to me, very strange. Do you have any idea why they would contact you personally or what they hope to achieve?

Is it to do with payment issues?!?

Personally I would take this matter up with your superiors at work tomorrow and see if they have any idea why this company would be trying to make contact with an employee at home. Other people may too have received letters as without further information cannot understand why they would single you out.

I too am confused why they are sending a recorded delivery package to you. What benefit would they have? What are they trying to achieve?

Re Data Protection you can search the Register here... http://www.ico.gov.uk/ESDWebPages/search.asp Send your complaint to them direct to their DPA controller.

In your letter request that they collect the package... at their expense. Indicate they have 31 days to do so otherwise you will treat the item as abandoned and dispose of it accordingly. If it costs you to dispose of it indicate that you will require reimbursement.

Hi folks Thanks for the replies. @Nystagmite: I have no idea why they're trying to contact me at home, I have never given them my home address and nor would anyone in the company. Our directors have their address listed as the office, so they probably looked me up somewhere and targetted me as they couldn't reach them at home.

We're cancelling the contract and it is me who's dealt with all the cancellation, so I am guessing it's a scare / threat attempt. It's working on my family though which I am not happy with. @backofbeyond: as above for why they're after me, and no, there are no payment issues at all, in fact we pay by DD and they took an additional unauthorised payment, which we've had back now.

Not sure if anyone else has had letters, will find out today I guess. @papasmurf1cx: thanks for that link, I've checked and they don't appear to be registered, so if I understand correctly this processing of my private data is an offence. As far as I know they deal with consumers so surely they should be registered? I refused the letter, as I didn't want to give them any kind of confirmation that where they were sending it to was my home address.

Other points: - If I now complain to them, they will know it is my home, even though I refused the letter, so they have won on this point. - Can I force them (& anyone they've passed them to) to delete my details and to divulge where they got them, there's a Data Protection clause about their use of my data causing me harm or similar, can't locate it immediately. - I'm not a compensation seeking person normally but as this is the only language these people understand, I want to hit them in their pocket.

Any thoughts on how I might do this and on what grounds? If anyone who's responded wants the name of the company please PM me and I'll gladly send the details, I just don't want it on open forum as yet. Thanks again for your input, very much appreciated.

Edited by Adam69
line breaks not showing.

Sorry, line breaks don't seem to be working, even though I have had 4 attempts at editing that. Can anyone help with that? Thanks

Hi folks Thanks for the replies.

@Nystagmite: I have no idea why they're trying to contact me at home, I have never given them my home address and nor would anyone in the company. Our directors have their address listed as the office, so they probably looked me up somewhere and targetted me as they couldn't reach them at home. We're cancelling the contract and it is me who's dealt with all the cancellation, so I am guessing it's a scare / threat attempt. It's working on my family though which I am not happy with. @backofbeyond: as above for why they're after me, and no, there are no payment issues at all, in fact we pay by DD and they took an additional unauthorised payment, which we've had back now. Not sure if anyone else has had letters, will find out today I guess.

@papasmurf1cx: thanks for that link, I've checked and they don't appear to be registered, so if I understand correctly this processing of my private data is an offence. As far as I know they deal with consumers so surely they should be registered? I refused the letter, as I didn't want to give them any kind of confirmation that where they were sending it to was my home address.

Other points: - If I now complain to them, they will know it is my home, even though I refused the letter, so they have won on this point. - Can I force them (& anyone they've passed them to) to delete my details and to divulge where they got them, there's a Data Protection clause about their use of my data causing me harm or similar, can't locate it immediately. -

I'm not a compensation seeking person normally but as this is the only language these people understand, I want to hit them in their pocket. Any thoughts on how I might do this and on what grounds? If anyone who's responded wants the name of the company please PM me and I'll gladly send the details, I just don't want it on open forum as yet. Thanks again for your input, very much appreciated.

I hope the spacing stays in this. HB

PS Perhaps you could edit your post to say there's a version with spaces here.

Illegitimi non carborundum

All seems to be sorted now. Thanks for your help, hopefully now it's readable some more good advice will follow. Thanks again == EDIT == Still not showing my posts with line breaks, maybe it's my browser! Will try again later at home.

Edited by Adam69
line breaks still not showing