ESA Appeal Advice

QuestUK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4679 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All, I have just received a letter from the DWP to say I have failed the ATOS medical. Even though I suffer from a severe form of Scoliosis I only scored 6 points. I am now considering appealing because there is no way I am capable of working. My query what is involved in the appeal? Do you send the medical certificate with the GL24 form or do you send the medical certificate seperately? Do you make the appeal by telephone? Once the appeal has been processed how long before you get paid? And, do you think is it advisable to request a written reasons why they arrived at their decision?

Any advice would be welcome

Hello All, I have just received a letter from the DWP to say I have failed the ATOS medical. Even though I suffer from a severe form of Scoliosis I only scored 6 points. I am now considering appealing because there is no way I am capable of working. My query what is involved in the appeal? Do you send the medical certificate with the GL24 form or do you send the medical certificate seperately? Do you make the appeal by telephone? Once the appeal has been processed how long before you get paid? And, do you think is it advisable to request a written reasons why they arrived at their decision?

Any advice would be welcome

J

HI

According to Atos any certificates, doctors notes etc should be sent directly to DWP.

Complaints re failed assessments should be sent to DWP as they (their computer) is calculating the points.

Atos just do the assessments and their notes are sent to DWP.

I suggest you speak to your GP re certificates, but do make copies and post it recorded delivery.

When appealing it is always wise to be represented by someone who has the relevant expertise such as Welfare Rights or CAB. However do not leave it to the last minute as they are up to their eyes in it. Secondly, also ask them to complete the GL24

Appeal is either done on paper or oral. Oral is better - that way, they can see what you're like.

Asking for reasons why you were turned down will help you. I believe it also gives you an extra 2 weeks (so, 6 weeks in total) to submit your appeal.

Thank you all for the quick replys. You been very helpful. I just have a couple more questions. Is it best to claim ESA or JSA while waiting for you appeal? And, to claim ESA do I have contact the jobcentre again?

Ok, I failed my medical assesment. And I am going to appeal against the decision. Someone advised me that I should ask for a ESA 85 form. I have never heard of a esa 85 form. So if anybody knows of a 85 form I would be grateful if you can tell me where I can obtain one and describe the form to me.

You just have to phone the ESA and request a copy, thay have to send you one on request, mine came very quickly. Make sure you are sat down when you read it and with company so you can sound off at the contents.....

Just to make you aware that requesting your personal documents comes under section 7 of the Data Drotection Act. Though they may provide the report quickly in some cases, and may provide it if you asak over the phone, the law allows them up to 40 days to provide it from the receipt of a written request. You only have a month to get your appeal in from the date of the decision.

Do not delay in getting your appeal in. If it's getting close to a month and you still haven't received your report, get your appeal in. Also bear in mind that they will only re-start your payments once you have appealed and this will not be backdated to the date of the decision pending the appeal (it will however be backdated following a 'won' appeal). To appeal, use form GL24

You can extend the time limit for appealing by a further two weeks by asking for a written statement of reasons.

Threads merged

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)