• Tweets

• jk2054 - I haven't started a claim with OIC or MIB yet, due to being unable to obtain the name of the other driver.  BankFodder cheers for that, I'll go back to them with this info & update on here when I've had a response
    • Andy thanks for your reply. No i am now being evicted from the house i moved into after that previous post. The letting agent lied to me when they said the landlord would not be selling the house. SHe did not mention that the landlord tried to sell the house last year, i was not told this, 4 months into the tenancy i got the eviction notice. Its obvious they lied to me and used me to fill in the gap between their attempts to sell the house. I have filled in the defence form as it was easy to follow the old one from my previous post. I will post it later on in the hope someone can give it the once over. It has to be in by the end of this month may 31st.  
    • It's a GR Yaris - Finance is with Alphera, who are part of BMW I believe. I'm sure the unit is very expensive to repair, I have even told them I would be happy with a refurbished/reconditioned unit, in trying to be reasonable as well.
    • Without seeing this envelope, document and sticker it is impossible to advise properly. However, just going on what you have told us, there are two ways you can deal with this: !. The easy way. This has the lowest risk but the guarantee of a penalty for speeding.  You can respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box you can explain that you responded to the request for driver’s details but it was recently returned to you, seemingly not actioned. However, you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. You could also ask the court to consider sentencing you at the fixed penalty level (£100 and 3 points) as this prosecution seems to be the result of an administrative problem outside your control. 2. The not so easy way with higher risk. This could see you convicted of the FtP charge but has the possibility that you escape with no penalty whatsoever. You can do the same – plead not guilty to both charges. If you go down this route the speeding charge cannot succeed as they have no evidence you were driving. This comes from your response to the request for driver’s details which the police say they have not got. You can mention in the “Reasons” box that you returned the request for driver’s details as required. You will then face a trial for the FtP charge and you can produced your response together with the envelope and sticker showing it had been returned to you. The risk with this is that if your defence fails you will be fined a week and a half’s net income, pay a “Victim Surcharge” of 40% of the fine, pay prosecution costs of around £650 and have six points together with an endorsement code (MS90) which will see your insurance premiums rocket.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mentally Ill man under threat of eviction from Council flat.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3434 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for to condolences. Mum and i are plodding on.

Stu007, well yes I thought that was out of order. Matt says he did object to this and the female we are talking about apparently said "prove it". He tells me that this person was a former partner of his cousin and they have two children together. Matt gets auditory hallucinations as well as paranoia and we have talked about this. I think the barrister would have said something if a remark like that had been made quite honestly, but I can well imagine Matt "hearing it". And that would set off this very deep rooted fear he has over his confidentiality and his "family" being told what is going on. He still has hang ups about being "told off" and this stems from ill treatment as a young child. I have no doubt she was there, and that would have been enough to make matt obsess about this, and want to remove himself from the situation.

I will point this out to the solicitor. Does anyone know about these Legal Aid certificates and how long they are taking to come through? Matt's been waiting for weeks now, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to chase it up.

Cheers - we are just going to take Matt out for a country stroll with the dog, he a little hyper this morning (Matt AND the dog!) and this helps. Matt also can't swim so he's going to ask the GP to sign him up for access to leisure so he can have some lessons.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this thread by accident having read though I felt I had to offer my support and wish you ever success. I live with my husbands mentle health and dealing with authority is always difficult, there is far to much lack of understanding and empathy for anyone living with mental health problems. Matt syptoms are so much like my husbands it brought tears to my eyes. I also have constant battles with various departments. I am trying to get his dal renewed at the moment. I will be following your story there are not many that would do what you are, and I want to pass on my thanks to you on behalf of suffers and carers alike. To know that there are people like you is inspiring, I would also like to offer my condolances for your loss.

Thank you suffolknan that was lovely to read. And thanks to everyone for the condolences. But, life must go on.

An update, another hurdle. Yesterday we had a letter from Legal Aid. We thought it was the certificate come through. It was a letter to tell us that his certificate has been suspended! Tthree days before his hearing on Thursday this week. I rang them immediately and they told us what we needed to do, the guy was actually very pleasant and listened. On to Mr Johnson who is niggled i think because he had asked for the certificate to include an appeal. And in any case he can;t attend Thursday! He has the name of the guy I spoke to and is going to try to sort this out today. pro bono again. This is way beyond anything I can help Matt with. And although I will go to Court with Matt on Thursday, I shall be no use to him in this situation. I have asked Mr Johnson if there is someway this can be delayed until Matt gets this legal aid through - he ummed and aahed so there is a possibility there of a small delay until Matt has proper representation. I think.

I asked Mr Johnson how much it would cost if we could somehow pay him, but it is quite a high figure, and we wouldn;t be able to raise it in such a short time anyway. And I can;t blame Mr Johnson because at the end of the day he is a business man and an excellent solicitor and has every right to charge a fee. I wouldn't normally say that about a solicitor, look at the money that gets wasted in divorces for instance. But hey, credit where its due, the guy has been a very good ally to Matt when he didnt have to bother.

Anyway, that's where we are today. Matt is just about holding himself up, and I am thinking about ringing his CPN this morning to see if she can give me any tips on how to help him, although we all know what the best cure would be don;t we? Leave him alone and give him a chance to get over this and prove he is a decent human being like the rest of us.

I shall keep you all updated. If anyone would like to e-mail petejohnson to thank him for his support so far I am sure he would be pleased, and maybe even further encouraged to please please help us this little bit more!! A quick look back at my posts and a little google of certain solicitors should make sure the e-mail goes to the right place!

Thanks everyone.

Well, we just had a letter about Matt's legal aid. They are not going to let him have legal aid, so basically he has just me with him on Thursday. Mr Johnson says if we are successful in getting a set aside, then we can reapply for Legal Aid, if the landlord wants to take it further even after that.

I will go with him, but haven;t a clue what the outcome is going to be. So, everyone, on Thursday please, cross your fingers, say a prayer, whatever does it for you, at 2pm.

I am just going to notify the site team that I need help here! I will let you know the outcome but of course, may not post for a day or to depending on what sort of help I can get!

Thanks for the support.

Right, quick update, the services of Mr Johnson have been secured for Thursday. So we are back with a fighting chance. Somebody who knows Matt really well has chipped in at the last minute, and Mr Johnson has given a much reduced price. Bless him, please send lovely flowery e-mails to him!

So. I am going to go and hand over the dosh tomorrow, and leave it in his hands, but of course i will still go with Matt and now several of the neighbours want to go, as well as a lovely couple from one of the local churches. They want to speak up for him. I made a quip a while ago that if it took me having to hire a minibus to show the strength of feeling about this then I would - I wish I hadn't said it now because as it turns out I am the only one with a driving licence to drive one!

But thank you for the advice to give Rethink a call, they had arranged for me to speak to someone tomorrow as they are only really open 10 - 1pm. But now someone else can have that free advice.

Well, I'm still not being too optimistic, but even if Matt loses this, at least he goes down fighting, and if he wins, well, I can't imagine what he will feel like. So, still keep everything crossed at 2pm, on Thursday we are going to do our very best.

I am now going to chill out, turn the phone off and see what tomorrow brings.

Good luck for Thursday. I'm glad Matt is getting support from so many people now thanks to you. I'm sure your father would be very proud of you. x

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Oh one last thing, Jo Mare would not come and see him at home or agree to help him, and he was really quite upset after all the effort he put into his appeal. Ho told her things he hadn;t even told the CPN. But I suppose the lady has a position to hold in all this. Best then to leave it up to the judge. He has a hope here, but it is just a glimmer, so fingers crossed.

Will keep you all updated.

Hi jackieandwayne,

This thread i am feeling very emotional about.I admire you tremendously for the support you and others around your area are giving Matt.

I feel angry that Matt has to go through all this.

I am going to email Jo Mare again to let her know,politely that people are supporting Matt and watching carefully the moves that are being made by PHP.

Also Robert Syms MP-did you hear back from him when he said he was looking into the matter-will email him as well.

Will have to go,my hands are shaking writing this,a mixture of emotions.

I hope that this thread somehow goes onto as you said before,help others facing similar persecution.

Bye for now in what must be a very emotional time for you

Support as allways Tawnyowl.

Edited by tawnyowl

Thanks TawnyOwl. No, we never heard from Robert Sym again. We'll keep our fingers crossed now, we've even got a local church that know Matt saying prayers for him.

I have to say he's holding up very well today, and so he should now he has a chance at a fair fight.

He was quite happily sat outside his door this mornng at 8.30 with a cuppa and soaking up the sunshine. Its lovely and quiet round here, everyone gets along fine, we all accept each other, and this is where Matt needs and wants to be. A few days ago he said to me "do you know, nearly every resident in this road has said hello to me this morning!" That's what its like in our little close.

And then out comes the shrew and her partner, and although nothing was said this time, I do believe it is a public order offence to stick two fingers up at someone in a vulgar manner. Now, I could of course report this to the police, or PHP. I could be incredibly offended at seeing this. But if I do, our local shrew will lap up all the attention, even though it is adverse towards her - and this I think is her problem. So I do believe the way to deal with her is to totally ignore her. And I personally find that incredibly easy to do after what I have seen her up to over the years. So, just like Matt has had to learn fast that there is a way you just have to be in life, she also needs to learn this. If that makes sense.

Well, I'm just off to settle up with Mr Johnson, and then I am quite busy all day, but I'll keep checking in, and a great big thank you to everyone for their support.

All the best for tomorrow, I'll be thinking about you and Matt I hope thing go in Matts favour.There is a local group in suffolk called ESAN, East Suffolk Advocacy. I know they only work in Suffolk but they may know of a simular group near you.They also have some links to some national groups that may help. Yu can find them on google

Again all the best for tomorrow

Thank you suffolknan. We'll do our very best for him. I should like to see a fair hearing, preferably one where witnesses have to swear on oath to what they have said, and if they are prepared to do that they'll be answering to a higher authority than the County Court Judge - in good time.

Poor old Matt he's resigned to the fact that this is all going to go incredibly wrong tomorrow - but everything in his life goes like that, so at least this way he's got a fair fighting chance here, and he understands that whatever happens tomorrow, he just thanks the Judge and comes out with his head held high. Mind you if he wins he'll probably come out doing cartwheels - another side of his personality of which there many!

As soon as I know the outcome I shall let you all know. Thanks again everyone.

Good news guys - phew just got back now. The warrant has been further suspended for 4 weeks for Matt to show he can stick to a fairly rigid Acceptable Behaviour Contract. The Conditions are all good things, some of which he already does. He has had the chance to make his peace with the Housing Officer, which he really wanted to do as he thought she was afraid of him, and he didn;t like that. Now he says he's in love with her! I believe, behind the scenes, this is all down to Jo Mare.

The person who has been bullying him, has had a visit from the Housing Officer immediately after the court case to be told not to antagonise Matt, and part of his ABC is that he has no contact with her and her partner at all. No retaliation, from him, anyone else, visitors etc. Easy. He has been taught by us that this person does not exist he can't see her and she ain't there! As we arrived home her partner was just being taken away in an ambulance, so that was a bit unfortunate, but it certainly wasn't anything to do with us. We didn't even laugh, honestly, we just came straight into mine and had a nice cup of tea. What is not our business doesn't bother us. Thats the motto from now on.

So, a little bit of work and effort from Matt, and I see no reason why he can't stay in his home as long as he likes.

A huge thank you to everyone who supported him, especially Mr Johnson, who is a lovely man, really. But mostly, all the people on here. I hope this sends a message to anyone with a disability, who comes up against this sort of thing - never ever give up, and please, ask for help. You have rights.

I'll keep you updated as we go along, but I have to go and deal with dad's funeral over the next few days, so I might not be around for a day or so.

We are going to have a big Chinese meal tonight to celebrate, and then get some rest!

Fantastic news! well done :) you should be very proud of yourselves, you have given that young man terrific support and a determination to get his life back on track - I don't know where he would have been without you and I'm sure he is extremely grateful.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I echo Ell-enn's comments. Well done. Matt must be over the moon. :-D

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thats brilliant news, well done you Matt and everyone that has helped. I expect that this will help Matts mentel state no end. I am sure with all the support Matt has he will cope well with the conditions of the ABC and this story will have a happy ending. give Matt my best wishes.

Great news well done...

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I've just found this thread, well done for all your support of Matt. Make sure you have enough you and mum time so that you can deal with all the turmoil that follows the loss of a parent and continue to have the strength to support Matt.

• 3 years later...

my son had almost identical circumstances as Matt with mental illness & the council.....and tragically recently took his own life because of the threat of losing his flat...my son is dead and my life destroyed because of unsubstantiated complaints of asb from a neighbour...

I am so terribly sorry to hear this sad news Suzanne. Matt was lucky that I was his neighbour, worked for social housing all my life, and was able to see what was about to happen. But most of all he found the courage to come and ask for help - (well, some of the other neighbours forced him to come and bang on my door) and sadly so many people can't do that.

I believe but cannot confirm for certain, that the HO who went hell for leather after Matt was removed from this area, and given an area full of elderly people and well behaved tenants to manage instead.

Perhaps, when and if you feel able, you may want to make some enquiries as to how his case was handled etc.

Meanwhile there is nothing anyone can say or do that will help you feel any better, but please believe that I genuinely feel for you and will be thinking of you, and oh, this does make me so angry.

Blessings. X

• Haha 1