• Tweets

• In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
    • I've looked at your case specifically more.   Term 8bii reads " when, in accordance with instructions from the Customer or the Consignee, the Consignment is left in a safe place" Their terms choose to not define safe, so they are put to proof that the location is safe. If your property opens onto a street its a simple thing of putting a google earth image and pointing out that its not a safe place
    • New rules and higher rates resulted in a jump in the number of savers opening accounts at the start of this year's Isa season.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

FCC's BC charges ***WON*** with compound int't

FCC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4517 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If there are 2 BC a/c's, you can claim charges back for both in one claim. This will save on court fees and, if you have to print out court bundles, you'll save a few trees and a lake of ink !!

The only change from the normal procedure is that the POC will list the charges and interest for each a/c separately. And I assume you have already done to separate SOC's.

Before you decide, can you confirm very roughly how much your SOC shows as a total for charges and interest, for each a/c.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick

You've got me curious now....I was sure I read here somewhere on the site that judges frown upon claims on different accounts being put through in one action (or is that out of date now?)

I appreciate of course that BC don't seem to let it get that far though.

Also the quantum of the combined claim may be an issue for small claims which I guess is why you posed the question above.

Regards

ims

use this method:

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all pers info inc barcodes etc using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

or use word and save as pdf

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB:you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

the hit reply button

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

IN THE [xxxxx]

county court

BETWEEN:

Claimant

and

Barclays Bank PLC t/a Barclaycard

Defendant

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant entered into an agreement (“The Agreement”) with the Defendant on or around June 1997 whereby the Defendant was to advance credit facilities to the Claimant under a running credit account:

Account no xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx ("The Account").

2. The Agreement essentially consisted of the Defendant providing the Claimant with a credit card (“The Card”) which would allow the Claimant to make purchases and receive cash advances on credit. In return the Defendant was entitled to charge interest at the published rate.

3. The Agreement was a Regulated Agreement for the purposes of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4. At all material times the contract was subject to the Defendant’s standard terms and conditions which could be varied from time to time.

Summary

5. Throughout the course of the Agreement, the Defendant has added default charges to the Account for the Claimant’s failure to make the minimum payment on the due date. (Full particulars are set out in schedule 2).

6. The default charges were applied in accordance with the standard terms of The Agreement which were:

a) A penalty payable on breach of contract and thus unenforceable: and

b An unfair term under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (“The Regulations”) and therefore not binding on the Claimant.

. The Claimant is accordingly entitled to repayment of the sums wrongly added to the Account.

The Charges

8. The standard Terms of the Agreement in substance provided as follows:

(a) The Defendant would provide the Claimant with the Card. The Claimant was entitled to use the Card to make purchases and receive cash advances up to a credit limit (“the Limit”) set by the Defendant. The Defendant could unilaterally change the Limit by giving the Claimant notice in writing.

(b) The Defendant was entitled to charge interest on the purchases and cash advances at the published rate.

© The Claimant was to pay the minimum payment of 2.25% of the amount owed or £5 (whichever was the greatest) by the due date as notified in the monthly statements.

(d) In addition the Defendant was entitled to charge default fees (“the Charges”) where the Claimant did not pay on the due date . The Charges are currently £12 for this transgression. Prior to 2006 the Charge was, seemingly, applied ad hoc.

(e) The default charges were described as “ Out of Order “ and were applied at a rate of £30.00 on 22nd August 2000 and £40.00 on 26th September 2000.

Penalty

9.The amount of the Charges exceeded any genuine pre-estimate of the damage which would have been suffered by the Bank in relation to the Claimant’s transgressions.

10. In the premises the Charges were punitive and a penalty and thus unenforceable at common law.

The Regulations

11.At all material times the Claimant was a consumer within the Regulations.

13. At all material times the terms of the Agreement providing for the Charges were unfair within regulation 5 of the Regulations in that contrary to the requirement of good faith they caused a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations to the detriment of the Claimant.

14. Without prejudice to the burden of proof, the Claimant will refer to the following matters in support of the contention that the terms are to be assessed as unfair as at the time of the conclusion of the Agreement, and of each revision to the Standard Terms:

(a) The terms relating to Charges were standard terms; they would not be individually negotiated.

(b) The Charges were a penalty for breach of contract

©The Charges exceeded the costs which the Bank could have expected to incur in dealing with the missed payments

(d) Accordingly the Charges were a disproportionate charge incurred by the Claimant for their failure to meet their contractual obligation and thus within the ambit of Schedule 2 (1) (e) of the Regulations and indicative of an unfair term

(e) As the Bank knew, the Charges were of subsidiary importance to the customer in the context of the Agreement as a whole and would not influence the making of the Agreement.

(f) As the Defendant knew, the Claimant had no means of assessing the fairness of the Charges.

(g) In the premises, the effect of the Charges would be prejudicial to the customer who incurred them, and cause an imbalance in the relations of the parties to the Agreement by subordinating the customer’s interests to those of the Defendant in a way which was inequitable.

15. Without prejudice to the burden of proof, the Claimant will contend that the terms’ imposing the Charges are not core terms under regulation 6 of the Regulations and relies on the following matters:

(a) The assessment of fairness does not relate to terms which define the main or core subject matter of the Agreement.

(b) The assessment of fairness does not relate to the adequacy of the price or remuneration as against the goods or services supplied in exchange (in other words, whether or not the relevant services were value for money).

© The Charges are correctly described as default charges by the Defendant in the key information provided to new customers.

16. By reason of the said matters the terms were not binding under regulation 8 of the Regulations.

17. The Defendant wrongly applied Charges to the Account totalling some £70.00 between 22nd August 2000 and 26th September 2000. Particulars appear within Schedule 2.

18. On 6th August 2011 the Claimant demanded repayment of the sums wrongly applied.

19. The Defendant has not repaid them or any of them.

And the Claimant claims;

(a) A declaration that the sums totalling £70.00 have wrongly been applied to the Account.

(b) The Claimant rebutts the Defendants assertion that the.claim is excluded by default of a time limit and declares that the claim is made under s32 (1) The Limitations Act 1980 as per Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council.

© Payment of the said sums of £30.00 and interest in restitution of £525.74 plus £40.00 and interest in restitution of £682.84, as calculated at 17th October 2011, and as per Sempra Metals v Inland Revenue Commissioners.

(d) Interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 29.9% per annum on the amount claimed (daily rate of £1.14) until judgment or sooner payment.

(e) Court costs of £

I believe that the facts stated in these particulars, comprising of 4 pages, are true.

Dated

Signed

Schedule 1

From Barclaycard Conditions in force (as of September 2007).

3. Credit limit

From time to time we will work out your credit limit and tell you what it is.

5. Repayments

each month you must make a minimum payment. This will be;

(a)3% of the statement balance for Initial Visa, First Classic and Classic and 2% of the statement balance for Gold Barclaycard and Barclaycard Platinum or £5 whichever is more; or if the statement balance is less, the statement balance; or

(b)If a special promotion allows you to put off making repayments for a period, the amount worked out under (a) but with the relevant promotional balance taken away from the statement balance.

The minimum payment must be received by us and paid into your account on or before the payment date.

Schedule 2

Out of Order Charge: £30.00 added to account 22nd August 2000

Out of Order Charge £40,00 added to account 26th September 2000

Does this look right. I have changed some of the wording in places to suit but need confirmation that it doesn't spoil the claim. regards

Hi Ims,

As the total claim for the 2 a/c's is less than £5K, I see no reason why they cannot be dealt with by one claim.

Hi FCC,

Are you using 29.9% as your nominal rate on the spreadsheet ?

I have just pointed out to another user that BC have been paying out claims that use a nominal rate of 24.9%. I'm not saying necessarily that 29.9% is wrong or too high. It's your prerogative.

Obviously the numbering of the paragraphs needs sorting.

Also, after the REGULATIONS heading, there should be a suitable heading for the final section after section 19.

In section 14 (e) As the Bank knew, the Charges should read As the Defendant knew, the Charges

Check through to see that all references to either you or the bank refer to the Claimant or the Defendant respectively.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks again for your invaluable comments. I did use 19.9% in my original claim to BC and someone suggested thst I ( could/should ) increase it to 29.9%. I would be quite happy to go along with the latter as it should, if successful pay off both accounts. OK on with the housekeeping be back later. cheers

Questions: (1) I am unsure of the age of the cards because I do not have the original agreement. Is this a problem?

(8d) I am unsure what their default rates were for the above reason. Is my comment ok?

Claimant

and

Defendant

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant entered into an agreement (“The Agreement”) with the Defendant on or around June 1997 whereby the Defendant was to advance credit facilities to the Claimant under a running credit account:

Account no xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx ("The Account").

2. The Agreement essentially consisted of the Defendant providing the Claimant with a credit card (“The Card”) which would allow the Claimant to make purchases and receive cash advances on credit. In return the Defendant was entitled to charge interest at the published rate.

3. The Agreement was a Regulated Agreement for the purposes of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4. At all material times the contract was subject to the Defendant’s standard terms and conditions which could be varied from time to time.

Summary

5. Throughout the course of the Agreement, the Defendant has added default charges to the Account for the Claimant’s failure to make the minimum payment on the due date. (Full particulars are set out in schedule 2).

6. The default charges were applied in accordance with the standard terms of The Agreement which were:

b) An unfair term under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (“The Regulations”) and therefore not binding on the Claimant.

7. The Claimant is accordingly entitled to repayment of the sums wrongly added to the Account.

The Charges

8. The standard Terms of the Agreement in substance provided as follows:

(a) The Defendant would provide the Claimant with the Card. The Claimant was entitled to use the Card to make purchases and receive cash advances up to a credit limit (“the Limit”) set by the Defendant. The Defendant could unilaterally change the Limit by giving the Claimant notice in writing.

(b) The Defendant was entitled to charge interest on the purchases and cash advances at the published rate.

© The Claimant was to pay the minimum payment of 2.25% of the amount owed or £5 (whichever was the greatest) by the due date as notified in the monthly statements.

(d) In addition the Defendant was entitled to charge default fees (“the Charges”) where the Claimant did not pay on the due date . The Charges are currently £12 for this transgression. Prior to 2006 the Charge was, seemingly, applied ad hoc.

(e) The default charges were described as “ Out of Order “ and were applied at a rate of £30.00 on 22nd August 2000 and £40.00 on 26th September 2000.

Penalty

9.The amount of the Charges exceeded any genuine pre-estimate of the damage which would have been suffered by the Defendant in relation to the Claimant’s transgressions.

10. In the premises the Charges were punitive and a penalty and thus unenforceable at common law.

The Regulations

12. At all material times the terms of the Agreement providing for the Charges were unfair within regulation 5 of the Regulations in that contrary to the requirement of good faith they caused a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations to the detriment of the Claimant.

13. Without prejudice to the burden of proof, the Claimant will refer to the following matters in support of the contention that the terms are to be assessed as unfair as at the time of the conclusion of the Agreement, and of each revision to the Standard Terms:

(a) The terms relating to Charges were standard terms; they would not be individually negotiated.

©The Charges exceeded the costs which the Bank could have expected to incur in dealing with the missed payments

(d) Accordingly the Charges were a disproportionate charge incurred by the Claimant for their failure to meet their contractual obligation and thus within the ambit of Schedule 2 (1) (e) of the Regulations and indicative of an unfair term

(e) As the Defendant knew, the Charges were of subsidiary importance to the customer in the context of the Agreement as a whole and would not influence the making of the Agreement.

(f) As the Defendant knew, the Claimant had no means of assessing the fairness of the Charges.

(g) In the premises, the effect of the Charges would be prejudicial to the customer who incurred them, and cause an imbalance in the relations of the parties to the Agreement by subordinating the customer’s interests to those of the Defendant in a way which was inequitable.

14. Without prejudice to the burden of proof, the Claimant will contend that the terms’ imposing the Charges are not core terms under regulation 6 of the Regulations and relies on the following matters:

(a) The assessment of fairness does not relate to terms which define the main or core subject matter of the Agreement.

(b) The assessment of fairness does not relate to the adequacy of the price or remuneration as against the goods or services supplied in exchange (in other words, whether or not the relevant services were value for money).

© The Charges are correctly described as default charges by the Defendant in the key information provided to new customers.

15. By reason of the said matters the terms were not binding under regulation 8 of the Regulations.

16. The Defendant wrongly applied Charges to the Account totalling some £70.00 between 22nd August 2000 and 26th September 2000. Particulars appear within Schedule 2.

17. On 6th August 2011 the Claimant demanded repayment of the sums wrongly applied.

18. The Defendant has not repaid them or any of them.

Remedy

The Claimant claims;

(a) A declaration that the sums totalling £70.00 have wrongly been applied to the Account.

(b) The Claimant rebutts the Defendants assertion that the claim is excluded by default of a time limit and declares that the claim is made under s32 (1) The Limitations Act 1980 as per Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council.

© Repayment of the said sums of £30.00, plus interest at a rate of 24.9%, in restitution of £328.63 and £40.00, plus interest, at a rate of 24.9% in restitution of £428.38, as calculated at 17th October 2011, and as per Sempra Metals v Inland Revenue Commissioners.

(d) Interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 29.9% per annum on the amount claimed (daily rate of £1.14) until judgment or sooner payment.

(e) Court costs of £

I believe that the facts stated in these particulars, comprising of 4 pages, are true.

Dated

Signed

Schedule 1

3. Credit limit

5. Repayments

(a) 3% of the statement balance for Initial Visa, First Classic and Classic and 2% of the statement balance for Gold Barclaycard and Barclaycard Platinum or £5 whichever is more; or if the statement balance is less, the statement balance; or

(b) If a special promotion allows you to put off making repayments for a period, the amount worked out under (a) but with the relevant promotional balance taken away from the statement balance

© The minimum payment must be received by us and paid into your account on or before the payment date.

Schedule 2

Out of Order Charge: £30.00 added to account 22nd August 2000

Out of Order Charge £40,00 added to account 26th September 2000

How is this bearing in mind I have to inckude the other account?

Hi FCC,

Re the rate for restitutionary interest, you refer in your latest POC to the rate of 24.9% at 19© but 29.9% at 19(d). Choose whatever rate you are comfortable with, use it on the spreadsheet(s), and use the same rate to calculate the daily rate of s.69 Stat'y Int't.

I think that, for the 2 items you are reclaiming, there would actually have been 2 default charges for each - ie the £30 charge would have been perhaps one overlimit fee of £15 and one late payment fee, making the total of £30.

Similarly, there would have been 2 charges on the same day of £20 each making the £40 pound amount.

Where have you got the default charge data from ?

Referring to the numbered points above:-

1. Were there not 2 a/c's - in point 1, you refer to only one a/c no. Throughout the POC, you must refer to the charges on each a/c separately. For your SOC, you should either use 2 spreadsheets, or one which identifies the charges for each a/c. I see you've done this in section 19 already.

8(d) In addition the Defendant was entitled to charge default fees (“the Charges”) where the Claimant did not pay on the due date. The Default Charge is currently £12 and prior to 2006 the Charges were £15 and £20 at different times.

Remedy

19. And the Claimant claims;

(a) A declaration that the sums totalling £30.00 and £40.00 have wrongly been applied to the Accounts.

(b) That the amounts claimed are allowed by virtue of s.32 (1)© Limitation Act 1980 as per the case of Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council.

© Repayment of the said sums of £30.00 plus interest at a rate of 24.9% in restitution of £328.63; and £40.00 plus interest at a rate of 24.9% in restitution of £428.38, as calculated at 17th October 2011, as per the case of Sempra Metals v Inland Revenue Commissioners.

(d) Statutory Interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 29.9% per annum on the amount claimed (daily rate of £1.14) from date of issue until judgment or settlement.

(e) Court costs of £enter figure based on value of claim

The default charges were taken from the statements for that month which I still retain. Both charges entered as £30 and £40 and described as " Out of Order " charge. Well spotted on the interest rate in 19(d) I had missed that. Please help me understand the County Courts interest. When does it run from, is it from the start of proceedings or from 2000?. I did say that I had to include the second account and will do so on the next test document. 8(d) I did query here that as I do not have a copy of the original agreement I cannot swear to the default charges in force then. Do I assume that the charge they made was the published default charge at that time?. What about my uncertainty as to the start of the first account which could have been years before the second which was in 1997?.

IN THE [xxxxx]

County Court

BETWEEN:

Claimant

and

Defendant

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant entered into agreements (“The Agreements”) with the Defendant on and before June 1997 whereby the Defendant was to advance credit facilities to the Claimant under running credit accounts:

Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx (" Account No. 1 ").

Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx (“ Account No. 2 ”)

2. The Agreements essentially consisted of the Defendant providing the Claimant with Credit Cards (“The Cards”) which would allow the Claimant to make purchases and receive cash advances on credit. In return the Defendant was entitled to charge interest at the published rate.

3. The Agreements were Regulated Agreements for the purposes of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4. At all material times the contracts were subject to the Defendant’s standard terms and conditions which could be varied from time to time.

Summary

5. Throughout the course of the Agreements, the Defendant has added default charges to the Accounts for the Claimant’s failure to make the minimum payment on the due date. (Full particulars are set out in schedule 2).

6. The default charges were applied in accordance with the standard terms of The Agreements which were:

b) An unfair term under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (“The Regulations”) and therefore not binding on the Claimant.

7. The Claimant is accordingly entitled to repayment of the sums wrongly added to the Accounts.

The Charges

8. The standard Terms of the Agreements in substance provided as follows:

(a) The Defendant would provide the Claimant with the Cards. The Claimant was entitled to use the Cards to make purchases and receive cash advances up to a credit limit (“the Limit”) set by the Defendant. The Defendant could unilaterally change the Limit by giving the Claimant notice in writing.

(d) In addition the Defendant was entitled to charge default fees (“the Charges”) where the Claimant did not pay on the due date . The Charges are currently £12 for this transgression. Prior to 2006 the Charge were £30.00 and £40.00 at different times..

(e) The default charges were described as “ Out of Order “ and were applied at a rate of £30.00 on 22nd August 2000 and £40.00 on 26th September 2000 to both accounts.

Penalty

9.The amount of the Charges exceeded any genuine pre-estimate of the damage which would have been suffered by the Defendant in relation to the Claimant’s transgressions.

The Regulations

12. At all material times the terms of the Agreements providing for the Charges were unfair within regulation 5 of the Regulations in that contrary to the requirement of good faith they caused a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations to the detriment of the Claimant.

13. Without prejudice to the burden of proof, the Claimant will refer to the following matters in support of the contention that the terms are to be assessed as unfair as at the time of the conclusion of the Agreements, and of each revision to the Standard Terms:

(e) As the Defendant knew, the Charges were of subsidiary importance to the customer in the context of the Agreements as a whole and would not influence the making of the Agreement.

(g) In the premises, the effect of the Charges would be prejudicial to the customer who incurred them, and cause an imbalance in the relations of the parties to the Agreements by subordinating the customer’s interests to those of the Defendant in a way which was inequitable.

14. Without prejudice to the burden of proof, the Claimant will contend that the terms’ imposing the Charges are not core terms under regulation 6 of the Regulations and relies on the following matters:

(a) The assessment of fairness does not relate to terms which define the main or core subject matter of the Agreements.

15. By reason of the said matters the terms were not binding under regulation 8 of the Regulations.

16. The Defendant wrongly applied Charges totalling some £70.00 between 22nd August 2000 and 26th September 2000 to each Account. Particulars appear within Schedule 2.

17. On 6th August 2011 the Claimant demanded repayment of the sums wrongly applied.

18. The Defendant has not repaid them or any part of them.

Remedy

The Claimant claims;

(a) A declaration that the sums totalling £70.00 have wrongly been applied to the each of the Accounts.

(b) That the amounts claimed are allowed by virtue s32 ( 1 ) ( c ) The Limitations Act 1980 as per the case of Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council.

© Repayment of the said sums of £30.00, plus interest at a rate of 24.9%, in restitution of £328.63 and £40.00, plus interest, at a rate of 24.9% in restitution of £428.38 for each Account, as calculated at 17th October 2011, as per Sempra Metals v Inland Revenue Commissioners.

(d) Statutory Interest under s69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 24.9% per annum on the amount claimed (daily rate of £1.14) until judgment or settlement.

(e) Court costs of £

I believe that the facts stated in these particulars, comprising of 5 pages, are true.

Dated

Signed

Schedule 1

3. Credit limit

5. Repayments

(a) 3% of the statement balance for Initial Visa, First Classic and Classic and 2% of the statement balance for Gold Barclaycard and Barclaycard Platinum or £5 whichever is more; or if the statement balance is less, the statement balance; or

(b) If a special promotion allows you to put off making repayments for a period, the amount worked out under (a) but with the relevant promotional balance taken away from the statement balance

© The minimum payment must be received by us and paid into your account on or before the payment date.

Schedule 2

Out of Order Charge: £30.00 added to Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx on the 22nd August 2000

Out of Order Charge £40.00 added to Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx on the 26th September 2000

Out of Order Charge added to Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx on the 22nd August 2000

Out of Order Charge added to Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx on the 26th September 2000

Hi FCC,

Thanks for clarifying about the charge amounts, which I'll note for future reference.

Remedy

19. And the Claimant claims;

(a) A declaration that the sums of £30 and £40 have wrongly been applied to the each of the Accounts respectively.

(b) That the amounts claimed are allowed by virtue s32(1)©, Limitation Act 1980 as per the case of Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council.

© Repayment of the said sums of £30.00 plus interest at a rate of 24.9% in restitution of £328.63; and £40.00 plus interest at a rate of 24.9% in restitution of £428.38 for each Account respectively as at 17th October 2011, as per the case of Sempra Metals v Inland Revenue Commissioners.

(d) Statutory Interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 24.9% per annum on the amount claimed (daily rate of £0.56) until judgment or settlement.

(e) Court costs of £65.00.

Stat'y Int't runs from the date you file the claim up to the date of settlement. In your case, I calculate the daily rate figure to be :-

827.01 x .249 = 205.92 pa / 365 = £0.56 pence per day.

IN THE [xxxxx]

County Court

BETWEEN:

Claimant

and

Defendant

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant entered into agreements (“The Agreements”) with the Defendant on and before June 1997 whereby the Defendant was to advance credit facilities to the Claimant under running credit accounts:

Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx (" Account No. 1 ").

Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx (“ Account No. 2 ”)

2. The Agreements essentially consisted of the Defendant providing the Claimant with Credit Cards (“The Cards”) which would allow the Claimant to make purchases and receive cash advances on credit. In return the Defendant was entitled to charge interest at the published rate.

3. The Agreements were Regulated Agreements for the purposes of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4. At all material times the contracts were subject to the Defendant’s standard terms and conditions which could be varied from time to time.

Summary

5. Throughout the course of the Agreements, the Defendant has added default charges to the Accounts for the Claimant’s failure to make the minimum payment on the due date. (Full particulars are set out in schedule 2).

6. The default charges were applied in accordance with the standard terms of The Agreements which were:

7. The Claimant is accordingly entitled to repayment of the sums wrongly added to the Accounts.

The Charges

8. The standard Terms of the Agreements in substance provided as follows:

(a) The Defendant would provide the Claimant with the Cards. The Claimant was entitled to use the Cards to make purchases and receive cash advances up to a credit limit (“the Limit”) set by the Defendant. The Defendant could unilaterally change the Limit by giving the Claimant notice in writing.

(d) In addition the Defendant was entitled to charge default fees (“the Charges”) where the Claimant did not pay on the due date . The Charges are currently £12 for this transgression. Prior to 2006 the Charge were £30.00 and £40.00 at different times..

(e) The default charges were described as “ Out of Order “ and were applied at a rate of £30.00 on 22nd August 2000 and £40.00 on 26th September 2000 to both accounts.

Penalty

The Regulations

12. At all material times the terms of the Agreements providing for the Charges were unfair within regulation 5 of the Regulations in that contrary to the requirement of good faith they caused a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations to the detriment of the Claimant.

13. Without prejudice to the burden of proof, the Claimant will refer to the following matters in support of the contention that the terms are to be assessed as unfair as at the time of the conclusion of the Agreements, and of each revision to the Standard Terms:

(e) As the Defendant knew, the Charges were of subsidiary importance to the customer in the context of the Agreements as a whole and would not influence the making of the Agreement.

(g) In the premises, the effect of the Charges would be prejudicial to the customer who incurred them, and cause an imbalance in the relations of the parties to the Agreements by subordinating the customer’s interests to those of the Defendant in a way which was inequitable.

(a) The assessment of fairness does not relate to terms which define the main or core subject matter of the Agreements.

16. The Defendant wrongly applied Charges totalling some £70.00 between 22nd August 2000 and 26th September 2000 to each Account. Particulars appear within Schedule 2.

18. The Defendant has not repaid them or any part of them.

Remedy

And the Claimant claims;

(a) A declaration that the sums totalling £30.00 and £40.00 have wrongly been applied to the each of the Accounts respectively.

(b) That the amounts claimed are allowed by virtue of s32 ( 1 ) ( c ) The Limitations Act 1980 as per the case of Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council.

© Repayment of the said sums of £30.00, plus interest, at a rate of 24.9%, in restitution of £328.63; and £40.00, plus interest, at a rate of 24.9%,, in restitution of £428.38 for each Account respectively, as at 17th October 2011, as per the case of Sempra Metals v Inland Revenue Commissioners.

(d) Statutory Interest under s69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 24.9% per annum on the amount claimed (daily rate of £0.56) until judgment or settlement.

(e) Court costs of £65.00

I believe that the facts stated in these particulars, comprising of 5 pages, are true.

Dated

Signed

Schedule 1

3. Credit limit

5. Repayments

Schedule 2

Out of Order Charge: £30.00 added to Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx on the 22nd August 2000

Out of Order Charge £40.00 added to Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx on the 26th September 2000

Out of Order Charge added to Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx on the 22nd August 2000

Out of Order Charge added to Account No. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx on the 26th September 2000

Many thanks for your invaluable and excellent advice. Hope the dog enjoyed his walk. Can you, or others, have a think about my other questions re: uncertainty about the start date of the cards and I read that I will need the terms and conditions that I don't have. Do I need to SAR BC?

Hi FCC,

Looks ok except for 19c which I've just PM'd you about. Did you get the main POC from the BC POC link and then adapt it for your own case.

However, it's up to you to make a final check to see the POC is right and ready to go into court with the correct date and SOC figures.

I assume you'll take this to court on the 17th October going by the date you use on the POC. Just make sure your SOC has been adjusted to reflect the same date.

Yes, I took the POC from the BC sector and with your help have now produced what, I feel, is the final document complete with page numbers. The date is a speculative one as I feel that I have to issue an SAR to BC to attempt to gain access to terms and cons and dates of agreements etc. Who knows there may be more charges. Anyway thanks for your help in getting me thus far. Any idea where I can get a flowchart for the court bundle, I have tried the CB for dummies but none of the links appear to work so I am dredging the internet for help.

You should be using the one from post #72....the one I did for you in OpenOffice.

You should already have saved the sheet you did at that time onto your PC and continue to use that one....there is no need to download another one.

ims

Thanks ims I lost it there for a while. Put it down to the oldtimers disease. However, I have changed the % rate to 24.9 from 29.9 and have lost the daily rate and totals to be replaced with " value ". Can you help?

Hi FCC,

In post #120, you say you're going to send off a SAR and, "Who knows there may be more charges."

1. If you think there may be more, do not file your claim at court yet. Hold off until you get all the data you can, so you can check for other charges.

2. BC will only send you SAR data for the last 6 years from now, so you'll get data back to late 2005. If you want info older than this, you will have to take separate court action to force disclosure. Unless you are reasonably certain there are charges between 2000 and 2005, this may not be worth doing.