Turnbull Rutherford sent letter -with no return address on envelope

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4709 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You may wonder why I am bothering to leave a message about Turnbull Rutherford not putting a return address on their envelope, but in my opinion they are being somewhat underhand.

A letter arrrived for the ex today, and I did my usual of marking it 'Cleared off - Return to the person who bothered to send it' only to find that there was no return address to send it back to. In my curiosity, I found that the envelope could be opened without tearing it, so this I did. It turned out to be from the aforementioned Turnbull Rutherford Solicitors who are now dealing with an old Barclaycard debt of the ex's, passed to them by... HFO! It gives 21 days inwhich to reply before they take 'legal action', but by not putting a return address on the envelope this means that if you are not the person it is meant for and you can't get hold of that person you are left with two options - bin it or open it. If you open it, then you are knowing the business of the person it is meant for. If you bin it, then TR could start legal action against that person without them even knowing, and get ccjs by default.

I will be sending it back, so they are quite welcome to sit and wonder how I found out who they are without having to open the envelope. Just call me Mystic Meg :wink:

I know it's not major in the great scheme of things, but just thought that this piece of information might be of use to someone dealing with HFO and their crummy solicitors.

If you arent too concerned about giving your ex grief, you could have still marked it the way you normally do and the Post office would have opened it to return to sender.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for the tip off about the court papers Coledog. They can go back as well! Presumably if they go straight back to the court then the court has to take notice of the fact that they have been returned as 'moved away'.?

As an aside to this thread, looks like my house is going to (finally) be repossessed in the not too distant future. As I will probably be going to live with a relative, I will have my post forwarded which means that some of the ex's post will inevitably end up at my new address. Does anyone know if debts collectors will try to tie my ex to my new address if this happens? My relative is elderly and I certainly don't want them having to deal with anything untoward simply because some of my ex's post has found its way to me.

Interestingly, returning to the original point, the ex's debt seems to have risen by over £2000 since it left Barclaycard and passed through HFOs hands!!!

The post office will only re-direct ex's post if you specifically request them to do this i.e you would have to put his name on the form as well as yours, otherwise they should not.

HFO add interest at up to 17% per annum! Amazing they have never made contact with your ex but are taking him to court!

Edited by coledog

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

17% per day? Ouch!

Sorry, meant per year- have changed it. Might as well be per day as they are unlikely to be entitled to it!

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

HFO add interest at up to 17% per day! Amazing they have never made contact with your ex but are taking him to court!

HFO have tried to make contact with my ex, but as I don't have the foggiest where he is now living I have sent everything back marked 'Gone Away'. I have also had two Men in Black round, claiming to be banking investigators (they wouldn't tell me anymore than that, but expected MY life history in return lol). Perhaps they were visitations from HFO. I told them (probably not) politely to get off my land and that Mr Blackadder had done a runner several years before. I also told them that they were entitled to absolute zero information about who I was.

Thanks for the info about forwarding my post. I thought you could only forward from address A to address B rather than being able to specify particular names. I'm also a bit concerned because oldest son is approaching an age where he will need to appear on electoral rolls etc, and he has similar initials to his father. Combined with the same surname I am hoping that no debt collectors try to contact him - they shall incur my wrath if they do :-x

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know it's not my debt, but I am still having to deal with the backlash of it and when you get support it makes you feel just that little bit better xx