Please help, tax credit overpayment

dddtteee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4707 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I'm new here and hoping for some advice.

I'm not looking for sympathy as my situation is my fault. I have received a letter today from tax credits saying the household income I stated for renewal is incorrect to the records they hold for my 10/11 award(I declared 2500 less). The letter isn't threatening as such it just says that I should ring them if I disagree, if they don't hear from me before the end of this month they will amend my award.

Obviously, I have been overpaid and will have to pay this back in my next tax credits year, but my question is, will I be prosecuted? is it likely to go further? I feel so sick to my stomach and so angry at myself for cheating like this. I will be devastated if this is made public and my children are hurt.

I'm so ashamed of myself, but things have been very tough for my family over the past year, no excuse I know :sad:

There are a lot more people on here that are probably able to give you advice, but have you thought about ringing them up ? If you know you have incorrectly claimed then it will look better if you ring them and explain? Just a thought anyway. I am here with a problem and the guys on here have been fantastic...put it this way I think I would of cracked had it not been for people on here.

Thanks Annie, I feel sick with worry. The letter I got says they already know the correct salary and that it is different to the declared. It then says 'What to do now?' and goes on to say that if I disagree I should ring then and send my P60, but if they don't hear from me my award will be amended with the info they hold. I assume they will lower my payments this year to claim back the overpayment.

It is easy for anyone to say do not worry, blimey have had it said to me so many times, but doesnt stop you from worrying does it?

Well I am not sure what to advise to be honest, just thought if you rang them and said, that the annual income they have now is correct and could your tax credits be reviewed, but if you prefer to leave it, then its your choice to make. There are more and more tax credits posts on here, just in the last two weeks I have been here, so it is happening to a lot to people, and in coming here it shows you want to sort it out, by asking advice. I am sure someone else will read your post and help you.

Hello there, welcome to the forum. It's up to you as Annie says, but my thought is that you might as well ring and tell them how it is. That way, you can start to put life back in order.

I don't think they're going to tell you off, and you're certainly not the only one. But it isn't going to be sorted unless you make contact.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

It is easy for anyone to say do not worry, blimey have had it said to me so many times, but doesnt stop you from worrying does it?

Well I am not sure what to advise to be honest, just thought if you rang them and said, that the annual income they have now is correct and could your tax credits be reviewed, but if you prefer to leave it, then its your choice to make. There are more and more tax credits posts on here, just in the last two weeks I have been here, so it is happening to a lot to people, and in coming here it shows you want to sort it out, by asking advice. I am sure someone else will read your post and help you.

With the greatest of respect, there is no attempt here to sort anything out. The poster wants to know what action HMRC will take now the false figure has been corrected.

In answer to the original poster, tax credits will likely reduce your future public funding (tax credits) to pay it back

With the greatest of respect, there is no attempt here to sort anything out. The poster wants to know what action HMRC will take now the false figure has been corrected.

In answer to the original poster, tax credits will likely reduce your future public funding (tax credits) to pay it back

I'm really sorry if that's how I have come across, I do want to sort it out having spent a sleepless night worrying. I am going to ring them today to confirm the details and apologise for my mistake. Thank you for your help:-(

Hi, just to update you. I have just rung the office in Preston where the letter was from, and spoke to a lovely lady. I told her that I had given the wrong information when renewing. I apologised profusely, managing not to cry and told her the correct details. She said my claim would be amended as advised in the letter and thank you for ringing to confirm and that lots of people get information wrong (I think she could hear my wobbly voice)

Panic over, lesson definitely learned. Thank you for your help xx

Hi, just to update you. I have just rung the office in Preston where the letter was from, and spoke to a lovely lady. I told her that I had given the wrong information when renewing. I apologised profusely, managing not to cry and told her the correct details. She said my claim would be amended as advised in the letter and thank you for ringing to confirm and that lots of people get information wrong (I think she could hear my wobbly voice)

Panic over, lesson definitely learned. Thank you for your help xx

Great :)

When(if) you get ann overpayment letter, someone will see if it's correct.

Tax credits are normally easier to deal with and just want their money back (with or without a penalty)

If it was other benefits such as housing, then you could have been looking at a IUC, and a wait to see if you were charged with fraud.