Insurance repair can I insist on replacement as camera only 10 days old?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What to do???

My 10 day old Panasonic GF1 camera was got water damage due to a flood from the flat above, (something in tank broke) this was just an accident however, I had to claim on my own insurance (Allianz) for replacement. I had to send the camera of for them to inspect. They now say they can repair it but the agony I have is the it was purchased on the 15th Jan with a 3 year warranty, this will now be void due to the water damage, the repairers says they will fit original parts but then only guarantee their work for 30 days.

I sent it to them to confirm that this was a genuine claim I did not expect them to take it apart and repair it. I have read various reports of water damage being repaired to electrical items and then other faults occurring.

Am I worrying about nothing or is there a way I can request an exact replacement?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Do I go ahead with authorising a repair as I was

Hello there. Did you pay for the camera on a credit card? Some cards will [or maybe did] replace items that were damaged within a short time of being bought. It could be worth checking the Ts and Cs of the card or ringing the provider.

I can't answer the bit about your policy, sorry, but someone should know.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi, Nice thought, Did use a Visa Debit card from HSBC. But not sure if they are they same thing?? Although I will contact the bank and ask??

It depends on the Ts and Cs of your card. If it were me, I would check them before ringing the bank, just so you're sure of the facts in advance. If you haven't kept the printed copy, it could be on their website.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Check with Panasonic customer service line as to whether the camera being repaired has affected the warranty.

I thought that the warranty conditions related to 'non qualified' people taking the camera apart and that there was scope within the warranty to allow repairs by 'qualified' people. As long as the company used Panasonic parts and you have full details of the repair, I can't believe Panasonic would disqualify a 3 year warranty.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The fact you have a warranty is not the insurer's concern. They insure your contents, not your warranty.

Your agreement with them probably holds in the T&C's that they can choose to repair or replace. You can ask fo the cost of the repair, and get it done by a manufacturer certified repairer.

Strange for them to repair though, it's a potential nightmare to repair small electronics, hence insurers usually going for the replacement option.