• Tweets

• Anyway, I've asked my Booking.com flat-rent-out-bloke what needs to be done on the Booking.com portal to cancel a reservation. I got a late message "I'll let you know tomorrow".
    • I see that at the start of your thread you said they hadn't sent a Letter of Claim.  And in fact in all the uploaded material there is no LoC.  This is great news.  Even were you to lose - you won't - the judge would chop off a chunk of the money for their non-respect of PAPLOC. However, I'm a bit confused as you've named the file name as a SAR.  Are you sure about this?  Did you send any other letters apart from the one dx advised which was a CPR request (not a SAR) to DCBL (not Group Nexus).  I'm not being pernickety, this will be important for your Witness Statement further down the line.
    • I didn’t say it wouldn’t. That is not the issue here. To continue driving after the licence has expired (under s88), the driver must have submitted a “qualifying application”.  An application disclosing a relevant medical condition (of which sleep apnoea is one) is not a “qualifying application”, This means the driver cannot take advantage of s88 and must wait for the DVLA to make its decision before resuming driving.   The driver’s belief is irrelevant. The fact that a licence was eventually granted may mitigate the offence, but does it does not provide a defence.   But this driver didn’t meet the conditions. I explained why in my earlier post. He only meets the conditions if his application does not declare a relevant medical condition. His did.   As I explained, after his birthday he did not hold a licence that could be revoked.   In my view it doesn’t matter what it says. The offence is committed because his application declared a medical condition. Meanwhile his licence expired and s88 is not available to him. The GP letter would form part of the material the DVLA would use to complete their investigations. But until those enquiries are completed he could not drive.   The offence does not carry points or a disqualification (because a licence could have been held by your father). It only carries a fine and the guideline is half a week’s net income. If he pleads guilty that fine will be reduced by a third. He will also pay a surcharge of 40% of that fine. But the big difference is prosecution costs: a guilty plea will see costs of about £90 ordered whilst being convicted following a trial will see costs in the region of £600.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Benefit help if leaving employment voluntary?

diesel-bo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4851 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Last week I was told the company I worked for had gone into administration by one of its directors, he also told us that the other director in the company had secured some investment and was seeing the administrators at the end of the week with propossels for him to take over the company. Ten minutes after this meeting the other director (the one wishing to buy the company) can in and had one to one meetings with all of us. In my meeting he told me the things I'd be required to to if I worked for him, which was different from the job I do now, whereas I would be doing more.

When going into work today we were met by the director who informed us of the administration and had a brief meeting, in this meeting he informed us the director who is hoping to take over the company will be in at some point today as he was signing papers this morning, we were told that he didn't want any confrontation about what has happened to the company! :mad2:I'm furious as I have questions to ask and because he doesn't want any confrontation I can't seek answers to the questons I have!! The reason I have questions is as when we had our one to ones with him he basically told everyone something different.....The whole situation absolutley stinks and I know once we all roll over and sing to his tune he is going at dramatically change our work load, job descriptions, working hours ect. I've worked there for 22 year and I'm seriously considering walking away with nothing, so I suppose I'm posting on here to find out if I walked away would I be entitled to and benefits? I am married with 2 children at school age.

Thanks in advance.

We need more information:

Does your partner work? What is their income?

It is likely that you would get a sanction for voluntarily leaving work if you applied for JSA. The sanctions can be up to 26 weeks I think.

Hi,

Thanks for replying, no my partner doesn't work, due to having a young one not at school yet. Therefore no other income other than my wage and child tax credit and working tax credit.

What does a sanction mean? And does this apply to housing benefit and council tax benefit also?

I hope you'll understand that this is my last option as everything they are doing is to help themselves out of the fine mess they've got themselves into and not once have they thought about us workers...although as I understand this is all above the law!! Ridiculous protect the directors but not the employees!!

Also just to add as I said I've worked there since leaving school 22 years ago and this is not me shying away from working this is just me trying to see if I could see my family right if this situaton gets any worse.

Thanks again.

I know, the whole thing is just so underhand,and I want no part in it, at this present moment some on my colleagues have been told to 'hide' assets (or things they haven't paid for) around the factory!!! There is that many loopholes in this business that they cant flaunt and I really want out....sick would mean no pay, and no means of living. This whole situation has got me sick and I've not slept for days trying to work out what to do.

I know, the whole thing is just so underhand,and I want no part in it, at this present moment some on my colleagues have been told to 'hide' assets (or things they haven't paid for) around the factory!!! There is that many loopholes in this business that they cant flaunt and I really want out....sick would mean no pay, and no means of living. This whole situation has got me sick and I've not slept for days trying to work out what to do.

After 22 years, you should be entitled to sick pay, surely?! I'm no employment expert, so maybe not.... but that sounds very wrong.

My place of work was taken over last year, so I can empathise with you on that score.... but I'm just urging you not to be too hasty because once it's done, thats it!! As far as I'm aware, you would not receive Benefits by leaving voluntarily..... and 26 weeks is a long time without a regular income.

:-)

26 weeks is a long time to cope on nothing! Do they not even see the kids ok?

I would only get paid for 5 days, although I'm sure I'd get ssp after that, would you know if I was on this does that entitle me to housing or council tax benefit? I literally can't sleep for worrying what will be as I really can't see me being able to work under this new guy he's not the most understanding bloke at best and now has just dismissed all our concerns because he doesnt want to talk about it!!

I'm sorry to keep sounding like a broken record but if I was 'sanctioned' and had to apply for hardship, would any of yous know if i can apply and get housing and council tax benefit?

Thanks.

I'd give them a ring if I were you and see where you stand that way. Explain everything. You may get sanctioned for JSA but I'm not sure that applies to Tax Credits or anything like that.... you may be ok with those but need to check CT/HB out for sure.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to provide you with a better answer than I can.... as it's not really my area.

If you left volutarily then claimed for JSA you would need to claim both contribution and income based as your partener does work it would be a couple claim as you have at least one child.

There is a possibility you could receive a sanction on your JSA claim and that would only relate to your JSA no other benefit entitlements however your claims for HB and CTB would then be made based on the groubds of low income so would be dependant on their processing (not council benefits trained sorry).

You tax credits will need to be amended to show your new circumstances and therefore you would only be entitled to Child Benefit (Chb) and Child Tax Ctedits (CTC).

If you do pursue a claim to JSA you will need to give your reasons for leaving in the form of a written statement on form ES84JP and the relevant stencil attached to give further infomation (you can either complete this following you New Claim Interview (NJI) or take it home and return within 7 calender days) and this statement will be referred to your local Sector DMA team who will consider your reasons for keaving and also if you believe that ob would have last fpr ayt least another 26 weeks after leaving. It is impossible to say which way the decision would go as your reasons will be applied to the Jobseeking regulations and acts.

Yes if you were sanctioned you could apply for hardship.

You need to take some time to think about things very carefully before you decide to walk.

Can you not continue with your current job and actively look for something else?

Thats the problem, we've been asked not to go and seek work with any other companies, or to tell any of our friends who work for similar businesses as they want it to remain between themselves.....I really hope I can stick it out, but one of the directors has just (at dinner time) gone on holiday for 3 weeks and the director were lef with has told us nothing is going to happen until he comes back? I wouldnt of thought the administrators would wait for him to sun himself before deciding what happens to the bloody company....also were still not to ask any questions as he still doesnt want the confrontarion!!! I think hand on heart I'll walk, but lets be honest theyve lied and cheated up until now, I very much doubt that he'd be offering me and redundancy package!

Thanks again.

Thats the problem, we've been asked not to go and seek work with any other companies, or to tell any of our friends who work for similar businesses as they want it to remain between themselves.....

They have no right to this and couldn't stop you looking/applying elsewhere anyway. This sounds very similar to something re. my own place of work where the boss wants to know everything... If you look for another job, put someone else down as referee.... that way, your boss doesn't need to know what you're doing.

On reflection, it might be worth you not hiding anything, so that they sack you instead.... lol

beware if you are sacked you could still face a possible sanction. They cannot stop you looking and applying for alternative jobs. If they are going into administration they won't wait for your boss to sun himself for the 3 weeks you are quite right. If they are going under the can actually contact the local JCP office and arrange for some officers to go out and give a redundancy talk about benefits and what other support there is available.

Thanks everyone,

I'm going to give it the next few days to see what happens....although we've found out today that the director wishing to buy back the company isn't bothered about us workers at all as he'd been to speakin with other factories in the area to see if they could supply his showroom!!!! So I was right when I thought he was in it for himself! Also just one quick question we were handed a letter today and amongst other things in the letter it said he was hoping to buy the companies assets and trade but not a mention of taking over us the employees? Do we fall into any of the mentioned catagories? (Lol if we do, sorry for my thickness :-)

I would seriously try and hang on if you can.... you could well get redundancy out of this if that's his intention for the employees. Of course, it's cheaper for him to p*ss you all off beforehand.... but if you're aware of this, you'll know what he's doing and why he's doing it.

:-)

Lets hope so! We've also heard today that his first offer was rejected by the administrators! It might sound harsh but if him and his co-directors have already milked on company dry it hardly seems fair that they're allowed to rise another company from its ashes!! Ha I might tell the administrators theyre hiding stock, then they'll be up the ****ter!!

I have been through a situation very similar to this 8 years ago as an employee, and am currently a director of a limited company, so I have some understanding of the situation your directors are in.

The first thing is this, you need to get authoritative facts, rather than fact-lets spun by one of the directors. If the company is under formal administration, then the administrators may at any point make you all redundant. As you have 22 years of service, that is a substantial sum of money to walk away from. It does not matter if the company does not have the money to pay you this money, you will get it from the benefits system instead in that situation.

If the company is under administration, then the most likely reason why the administrators have not made you all redundant is because they believe they can sell the company as a going concern.

However, I would be vary wary in this situation about trusting directors. When I was an employee in this situation I was told that they have faked the paperwork showing that i had been given my notice a month ago, denying me my payment in lieu of notice. In your case, with the directors trying to keep the administration quiet, is it because of embarrassment? or is it because they are wanting to deal with companies and pretend that they have the longer trading history of the current company?

As an employee, you are an interested party to the company failure, and are entitled to talk to the administrators. You may ask them any question you like. It is likely that they will answer your questions completely. Any answers they give to you directly, you can rely on being accurate to their view at that moment in time. The administrators have a legal duty to minimise the loss to the creditors. As an employee, you are top of the list of creditors, and if the company is viable as a going concern, the staff are also a key asset in such a sale.

The point of a limited company is that it limits the liability of the company owners to money that they have invested in the company. A director is employed by the shareholders to run the company on the behalf of the shareholders. In your case, its quite likely that shareholders and directors are the same group of people, but there may be more shareholders and directors than you are aware of.

However, there are some aspects that are important for you. As part of the company failure, the administrators will write a report to the official receiver on the conduct of the directors. In the case of the directors misbehaving, the result can be directors being banned from being a director. Any attempt to hide assets or other fraud by directors, and they can become personally liable for the company debts. Do not take part in anything that is fraudulent, as you would be committing a criminal act. The administrators would be very keen to hear about the instruction to hide company assets,

Company directors must cease to trade when the company situation reaches a point when it no longer has a chance of paying its debts as and when they become due. Company directors are entitled to a "blue sky forecast", that means that if they can reasonably believe that the trading situation could improve in time to pay bills they are entitled to continue up to the point when it become clear that will not happen. If they get this wrong, directors are personally liable for some of the company debts.

Assuming that the directors have behaved legally, then it is quite plausible for one of the directors to create a new company, buy the company assets from the administrator, and continue to trade. However, That would require the company suppliers to continue to be willing to supply the new company, despite having taken a loss from their previous company.

Now we get to the protections you have as an employee. If the company is bought as is, then you remain at the company on existing terms and the new owners have to follow normal procedures to adjust work roles, terms and conditions. If the undertakings and business are bought by a new company, then TUPE rules apply. that means you will effectively work for the new company, and that your terms and conditions need to be broadly similar, and your 22 years of continued service continues with the new company. In this respect though, your duties can be changed a little. It is also possible that you are made redundant at this stage.

In short, I'd start looking for a new job, but I would hold back from actually resigning just yet,as redundancy means at least your notice period + 13 weeks pay (or 19.5 weeks if you are 40 or over) Your employment contract may have enhanced redundancy terms (as was much more common 20 years ago...

Edited by ptol
added redundancy payment details

Hi, thanks tons for all of the above!

I do have questions I want answered and none of them can be answered as I just keep getting told 'I can't answer anything as I don't own the company (yet/ ant more).

Would you know how I'd find out who the administrators are? Or would I seriously be over stepping the mark by speaking with them? Also do you think it's wise to mention to my work mates that by hiding things when asked they are commiting a criminal offence?

Hi, thanks tons for all of the above!

I do have questions I want answered and none of them can be answered as I just keep getting told 'I can't answer anything as I don't own the company (yet/ ant more).

Would you know how I'd find out who the administrators are? Or would I seriously be over stepping the mark by speaking with them? Also do you think it's wise to mention to my work mates that by hiding things when asked they are commiting a criminal offence?

In your situation, I would ask a question, when they answer with the "I don't own the company yet / anymore" answer, say that's fine, I understand the company is under administration. So i can ask my questions and actually get answers, who has been appointed administrators?

Regards the hiding. It depends on what the future plans are of the director that is not buying the company. If that director is not going to be part of the new company, then having a quiet word with them, pointing out that hiding assets from the administrators so the company has a reduced valuation, is effectively defrauding the creditors, and should that come to light, the directors will be made personally liable for the company debts by the official receiver should do the trick. If they are in on the fraud, expecting/hoping for a job in the new company, then i doubt that will work.

Telling your workmates is risky, as at the moment, there is the expectation that some people will avoid becoming unemployed. If competition for jobs gets nasty, you could end up being sacked (albeit unfairly) for undermining trust between the staff and the mangers.