Jump to content


Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

209 Excellent

1 Follower

About Aviva

  • Rank
    Basic Account Holder
  1. What type of tenancy do you have? Is it one where you are all joint tenants on the same agreement? If it is these usually state that tenants are jointly and severally liable for the rent. Which means that if one or more of the joint tenants do not pay, the landlord can chase the other tenants for the money. The other tenants would then be expected to chase/take legal action against the non-paying tenants to recover the money. If all the tenants are jointly and severally liable I don't think it would be found that the landlord did wrong by informing the others of the arrears and that they will
  2. It's the latter. The former wouldn't work as every meter would have to be recalibrated everytime there was a change in the price so that the cost could be worked correctly. Utility bills usually have the balance amount carried over from last period (either credit, debt or nil balance), the amount you have been charged for the current period and any payments received. They also should show how the amount you have been charged has been arrived at - amount of units used at what cost.
  3. I have rarely seen deposit or first month in advance mentioned in advertisements. It's standard to pay these. I've never rented privately without having to pay these at the time of signing the agreement/getting the keys. Anyone looking to rent privately not wanting to pay these or who does not have the money to will find it hard to find a landlord who will let to them.
  4. You need to find out what your Council's allocations/lettings policy says. This will tell you what type of issues would make someone a priority, etc. What actions has your friend taken to find someone to live other than applying for social housing? She may not ever get an offer of a social housing property. I'm in North London and my Council have worked out that about 90% of the people on their housing register will never be offered permanent social housing due to the shortage of properties and the number of people that apply every year.
  5. They know they are in the wrong so are trying to scare you. You were simply stating the fact that if they don't remedy the situation you will have to take further steps. If you haven't done so already you should get some legal advice about whether you can make a claim against the landlord for compensation. But if I were you I would look for somewhere else. The agent and the landlord have shown they don't care about the property or carrying out their obligations. I think you will continue to have problems with them.
  6. I was on JSA for a few months over 10 years ago and my first 3 days were not paid then. So it's not a new thing.
  7. Why do you not want the works done? The Council has a duty to maintain/repair their properties so if this work is needed I don't think they will be able to just accept that you don't want the work done. I know the ALMO/Council I work for has had to take legal action in the past against a few tenants who have refused to have works done/not allowed entry to workmen. Most, if not all, Councils will have a clause in their tenancy agreement and leases that states something about the tenant/leaseholder must allow repair works to be carried out, etc.
  8. Properties should be assessed against the decent homes standard. If they fail to meet the standard then work should be carried out to bring the property up to at least the required standard. If the property meets the standard there is no obligation to carry out any works. The Government has changed the funding recently though so I think a lot of organisations will be finding it hard to do all the work required or to keep to their current programming. For instance the ALMO I work for had been promised all the money we needed and the program was due to be completed by the end of
  9. Is it that the Council got an outright possession order and now have a warrant to evict and an eviciton date? Or was a postponed/suspended posession order made (usually made on terms of tenant has to pay current rent plus x off the arrears every week) and then a warrant obtained, etc? If it was the latter then what terms were made and have you stuck to them? If the problem was that it took a long time for your benefits to be paid why do you still owe nearly 3 months worth of rent? Why did HB not cover this amount? You will need to apply to the Court for the warrant to be suspend
  10. We need more information: Does your partner work? What is their income? It is likely that you would get a sanction for voluntarily leaving work if you applied for JSA. The sanctions can be up to 26 weeks I think.
  11. Nope, unfortunately the only option is to pay and try to get the money back. You could take them to Court but it still won't guarantee that they will actually pay you the money.
  12. You should write to the Council's Insurance Team detailing this incident, the damage to the car and the history of the situation.
  13. "If this is the case are they treated with the same severity??? e.g false claim from the beginning vs change in circumstance." - The are many factors that will affect how lenient Councils and the DWP will be. 1. Believing/having evidence that the person deliberately committed fraud against believing/having evidence that it was a mistake or misunderstanding of the system that led to the person receiving money they were not entitled to. 2. Whether the overpayment/fraud has been going on for a long time especially if they had had a chance to put it right i.e. someone who has consistent
  14. Paying £13,000 off in March - the DWP will want to see bank statements for the last few months so if your husband applies for JSA in April they will be able to see that you had savings over £16,000 but that the majority was removed shortly before he was made redundant. It is likely that they will see this as deprivation of capital. £13,00 counts as capital and not savings - capital is taken into account as well as savings. So if a claimant owns a house they rent out, etc this would be counted towards whether or not they were over the threshold for means tested benefits. However, if you o
  15. Certainly worth applying to your local Council for Council Tax Benefit. They will then assess you on your household incoem and savings.
  • Create New...