• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hampton Legal hand deliver a statutory demand

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I am new here, Had a really bad week, I had Hampton Legal hand deliver a statutory demand for a debt to barclaycard in 2004 for £855.51, I have never had a barclaycard and rang and explained this to them and no one would listen, I was then delivered by hand a Creditor's Bankruptcy petition to be in court on the 12/10/10, I sent several more letters claiming never to have owed a credit card and also rang a dozen times to speak to puppets, in the end on 11.10.10 my husband rang again and was told that I would have to pay £1812. 32 which included the barclaycard also now a capital one card and court costs otherwise I would have to go to court and would no doubt lose my home, my dad as ended up paying the £1812. 23 in full on his credit card, I wish I had seem this forum before, is there anything I can do now to try and get the money repaid as they are saying as I have paid the debt I am now owing up to the debt, I have checked my credit rating and no Barclaycard account is showing up on there, can anyone help me please?????

i am a little confused lilly...why on earth didnt you just go to court? if you genuinely didnt owe the money and i have no reason to believe you did...why did you pay them? i am not too sure where you can go from here....you are certainly gonna have to get all the paperwork from them and find out who has taken a card out and when and where it was used...if it is in your name then you could have a case for fraud...i am still totally bemused as to why you parted with a penny to these scumb*gs.....getting your money back is not an impossibility as you say in your posting you know nothing of the debt....

i am a little confused lilly...why on earth didnt you just go to court? if you genuinely didnt owe the money and i have no reason to believe you did...why did you pay them? i am not too sure where you can go from here....you are certainly gonna have to get all the paperwork from them and find out who has taken a card out and when and where it was used...if it is in your name then you could have a case for fraud...i am still totally bemused as to why you parted with a penny to these scumb*gs.....getting your money back is not an impossibility as you say in your posting you know nothing of the debt....

I was so scared of losing my home that I pay the debt, I have checked my credit report and they is nothing on there for barclaycard, my husband as just rung Hampton legal and they are going to send agreement paperwork for barclaycard so this will be interesting, I am not going to let this go now, I am so upset that scumb*bags can do this to people

i understand that you were scared...but you have in fact been mugged...almost as badly as if someone had come up to you in the street and grabbed your money off you....it is a shame you didnt go to the court hearing...as they would have had to have produced the paperwork there and you most certainly would not have lost your home.....in future make sure that you never ring these people and deal only with them by letter...this will give you a papertrail not a load of verbal threats from a phone monkey....when you have the paperwork give a shout on the forum and everyone here will be glad to help....there is no reason why you should not be able to retrieve your money and get compensation to boot....your best bet would be to SAR these gits and get all the paperwork that they have on you.....you will need to do this for both accounts

Hi.

can you take us through from the beginning.

what letters you recieved and sent/calls made etc.

The SD was for a barclay card.which you denied ever having.

And then THEY ADDED another alledged debt (capital one).

Is this correct,your father payed both these amounts in full,and you never had ANY of these cards?

Edited by sam614
can not spell

Right I started to get letters and phone calls about a outstanding debt to Barclaycard from Lowell first after letting them a dozen times that the debt was not mine and sending several letters I still got calls and letters, then on a friday afternoon I was in the garden when a chap turned up got out of his car and asked if I was Mrs E Dunn I said yes and he told me he was there to hand me a statutory demand for a barclaycard debt, I told him I have never had a barclaycard and the debt was not mine so he throw the letter at me and got in his car and drove off, I then write to Hampton Legal again explaining this debt was not mine, I then had a letter giving me a last chance to pay by either installments or 20% off the debt in all the letters it never mentioned capital one, I then had a chap turn up at my door with the courts summons and the date of court 12/10/10 I told him also that the debt was not mine and he said that he had several people with the same problem over the last couple of weeks and for me to write again to Hampton Legal and tell them to stop the court hearing which i did, as we never nothing from them my husband rang them on the 11/10/10 and was told that the balance was now £1832. 21 which included £855.51 Barclaycard £532. 00 Capital One and £444.60 court costs to stop the court hearing the next day, I was told I would be made bankrupt if I want to court and I would lose my house and car, I was worried sick and in the end my father who is 80 paid the debt in full on tuesday morning then I was told again by Mr G Danby that he had found two more debts in my name and they would be chasing them in the future, I told him he could whistle for these debts and I was disgusted in the way I have been treated, I checked my credit report yesterday and found no sign of any Barclaycard on there, there is a default from Lowell for £532. 00 which might be the capital one debt but no sign of Barclaycard, my husband rang Hampton Legal yesterday afternoon and demanded copies of credit agreements for both debts and we wanted to know how they could chase me for a debt which does not show on my credit report and cause so much upset, what is the best way to try and recover the money from Hampton Legal now, any help would be wonderful

Just checked my credit rating again and surprise surprise to default entries from Lowell Portolio for I think mobile phone contracts one defaulted 01/12/06 for £293. 00 and the other one defaulted 01/01/07 for £500.00, I think because i have paid the other debts they think I am a easy target now :mad2:I am going to wait for the debt letter to come and then ask for a SAP, is that the right thing to do, I don't think they have brought the debt as when I spoke to Graeme Dandy on the 12/10/10 he did say he had found 2 other debts and then all of a studden two new defaults show on my credit rating account, I did have a couple of contracts with t-mobile but the accounts were in dispute and the balances were nothing like the ones on my credit rating so I asume that a lot of charges have been added, what is the best thing to deal with these, Hampton Legal are not having any more money out of me

this unfortunately highlights the problems when you start checking your credit rating it immediately flags up and dca's then tend to start crawling out of the woodwork, as these two latest alleged debts are for mobile phones these do not come under the consumer credit act....if they do send any threatening letters send them the following...

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (xxxxxxxxx).

I am are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

as to your previous problem regarding the dca threatening bankruptcy.....bankruptcy can only be filed if the debt is over 750 quid....and it then also costs the dca and extra 1000 quid to go through the proceedings so on the amount you were alleged to owe they would not have made you bankrupt as it would have cost them money...it was a threat nothing more and nothing less...however..if you do not know this then i understand it can be very intimidating and frightening, as i said previously you would have been better off attending the hearing ...that said you now need to get your own money back that you have paid, providing you know for certain that these alleged debts are not yours.....you first need to complain in very strong terms to the OFT....access the website and make complaint...you then need to write to hamptons explaining that these debts are not yours, have never been yours and no court proceedings should ever have been initiated and give them 14 days to refund your money or you will be issuing a county court claim form N1 against them...NEVER EVER speak or phone these people, never ever ring them and if they ring you REFUSE to speak to them....you must do and get everything in writing...this is important as if it does come to court you have a paper trail..not a he said/she said scenario....let us know when you get the documents you have requested with the signatures on etc.....and we will draft a letter for you to send to hamptons....

Thanks debt4get for your advice, what do you mean these documents do not come under consumer credit act? what can they chase for and adding these two debts up comes over the £750. 00 again so could they try and send me to court over these debts? I just want to make sure I am waiting for them this time

sorry to confuse you....mobile phone contracts do not come under the consumer credit act...credit cards such as barclaycard and capital one do...so you will need to send for the documentation for them that is the consumer credit agreement that you allegedly signed in order to get the cards..they should also supply you with all the transactions that have taken place with those cards as they are the ones that have just taken the money off you...if they chase you for the mobile phones as in your post above..send the letter i have given you..this asks them to prove that you owe the debt...right they cannot add the 2 debts together to make it more than 750...as they are for two different creditors...also 400 quid to stop a court hearing was nothing more or less than a lie..it costs them nothing to issue a statutory demand, also they could not add these two debts together in order to make you bankrupts again they were for two different debts...you have been sold a lie, and unfortunately you fell into their trap....the only thing they can do is issue a county court summons for those...but it would be extremely unlikely as now you have found you way here it is fairly easy to tie them in knots by asking for the correct paperwork which they normally do not possess

Thanks for all your advice, it's been a great help, i am ready and waiting for them now, I just can't believe they can take over debts when most of the time they have not brought them off the last company, this must be fraud!!, I am so glad I have found this site

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just to let you know position so far, I sent recorded delivery letter to Hampton Legal requesting a SAR the 12 days were up yesterday I have received a letter today saying they are investigating and will get back to me!!!, I have also received a receipt from them but only for the balances of the credit cards and not for the court costs, also received a letter from Kidderminster County Court claiming case closed as not enough evidence, where do I go from here, I need to try and recover the money back but want to make sure I am doing it properly

Other than the excellent advice you're being given in here and going on what you have said so far I think you need some professional legal advice with regards to taking

action against Hampton's.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Hi, just to let you know position so far, I sent recorded delivery letter to Hampton Legal requesting a SAR the 12 days were up yesterday I have received a letter today saying they are investigating and will get back to me!!!, I have also received a receipt from them but only for the balances of the credit cards and not for the court costs, also received a letter from Kidderminster County Court claiming case closed as not enough evidence, where do I go from here, I need to try and recover the money back but want to make sure I am doing it properly

CCA is 12+2 days.

SAR is 40 days.