Just Received Council Tax Summons For Payment - 8 Years Ago At Another Address

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

My neighbor received a council tax summons today for another address where she lived 8 years ago, 2001/2002.

Notice reads: On 14th of July 2003 a complaint was made by Charging Authority against my neighbor for unpaid Council Tax and costs.

On the 31st of July 2003 a liability order was issued against my neighbor by Magistrates Court. to take effect forthwith.

It's taken 7 years to send a summons to my neighbor and as far as she can remember she don't owe any council tax payment.

She has 9 days to pay up according to the Council Tax 14 day letter if not bailiffs may be sent, letter was written on the 24th Sept 2010.

Can anyone tell me what plan of action should my neighbor take next?

I have links for scans, but i cannot add links to this post, i'm not privileged because i have not made enough posts.

Thank you for your time.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Edited by Daniel182

It sounds as if the Council are correct in their action. They applied and got the Liability Order within 6 years of the bill becoming payable and can therefore seek enforcement for it.

To move forward she should contact the Council ASAP and ask what period of time this LO covers. It may be that it covers time to the end of the financial year after she moved - Council may have cocked their records up. If still uncertain whether she owes or not she should ask for a 1 month extension in order to gather paperwork together. This will mean serving a SAR on the Council to see what she was charged, when and what payments were made.

If the Council insist on pressing straight ahead they will probably employ a Bailiff and she should adopt a siegelike mentality. In particular any goods outside should be removed - car perhaps. Read some of the other threads to gain a general insight into what happens.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Notice reads: On 14th of July 2003 a complaint was made by Charging Authority against my neighbour for unpaid Council Tax and costs.

On the 31st of July 2003 a liability order was issued against my neighbour by Magistrates Court. to take effect forthwith.

It's taken 7 years to send a summons to my neighbour and as far as she can remember she don't owe any council tax payment.

council tax year runs from April till March looking at the month the liability order is dated July it is highly likely she has been charged for the full 2003 year

If she moved home round about this date and council tax were not informed (for whatever reson) then she may not owe as much as they say she does if she owes anything at all

Tell her to get in touch with her council to find out what dates she is being charged for