Long standing debt finally found my new adress

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5048 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So the best course of action is to just sit tight? At what point should I take action?

Just a recap for anyone jumping straight to end of this thread:

I have an approximately £500 debt which I last acknowledge around 6 years ago. I'm 75% sure it was over 6 years ago, 25% it will be 6 years within a couple of months.

Edited by Didji
typo

If the alleged debt is statute barred it is up to them to prove you have acknowledged the debt or made payment in the last six years, (unless they have a ccj on this debt within the six years).

Whatever letters you send to them, be it the "prove it letter" or the "statute barred letter", make sure that you mark it conspicuously on each page with "i do not acknowledge this debt".

Dont worry, it is unlikely they will doorstep you, if they do just tell them to go away, they have not been invited and if they refuse you will ring the police as they are trespassing and harrassing you.

As someone else has already said the only person who has the right to enter your home (under these circumstances) is a court appointed baillif and then only under certain circumstances - this is from the direct.gov website:

When bailiffs may be used

Your creditor (the person you owe money to) can make a claim against you in the county court. A County Court Judgment (CCJ) may be made stating that you must repay the debt.

If you don’t make the payments ordered by the court, your creditor can ask the court to issue a 'warrant of execution'. This means that county court bailiffs may be called in to help recover the debt.

Edited by MONX

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

and just to clarify the bailiff point

no! they DO NOT have an automatic right to enter any property!!

do some reading!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 weeks later...

Just as a recap for anyone who is skipping right to the end, I have £500ish debt that I am 90% sure is statute barred. They've recently obtained my new address and have sent various letters. People in this thread have advised I ignore the letters. They have since sent me a letter offering reduced payment by a certain deadline which has now passed. I ignored this letter too.

Today, the 7th, they've sent me a new letter dated the 2nd, saying that 7 days after the date of the letter they intend to instruct they're Legal Department to review "my" account. It says it may involve applying for a CCJ. Then it goes into a bunch of reasons why I wouldn't want a CCJ, etc, and ends in the normal plea to contact them.

So, is this the time to contact them, or is this yet another phishing attempt? I pretty much figured, after they sent me the payment option, they had nothing. If they had something - or so my lay logic goes - they'd have used it by now.

If it's still wise to ignore them, when do I contact them?

Thanks again.

phishing attempt

ignore everything.

TBH you really need to do some reading of other peoples exps

or threads alike to yours.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The way I see it, is that you have two options....well three, firstly I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but no court would allow a CCJ on a Statute Barred debt.

1. If you are positive it is statute barred then continue to ignore them.

2. If you are not sure, I would send either a statue barred letter or prove it letter,

3. or thirdly you could send a letter stating that you have no knowledge of the alleged debt and unless they can provide evidence to the contrary they should do one! heres a link: http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

I think its very telling that their legal department is going to review your account and that they may apply for a CCJ!

Hope this helps.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

thats all they can say

may,might, could, should, approved etc etc

all drivel.

its NOT for the consumer to prove it IS statute barred

its for the dca to prove its not.

how do you think they make 75% of their money????

by fleecing people that know no better than to believe a dca does no lie or that they have legal powers !!!!! they do NOT.

you ould be a dca tomorrow

you dont have to have a licence either!!

dx

and they

Let them continue digging their own grave, ignore them, if they had anything remotely enforceable they would have had you up before the beak a long time ago, so don't worry.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!