• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help Applying for Tax Rebate 2009/10

Semi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5075 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

From the 6/4/09 to 5/4/10 in only Earned £2037.50 with a "total Tax to Date" of £282.00 i was made redundant twice in that tax year from "End of June 09 to 10/8/09" and "11/9/09 to 4/5/10" whether this is info is relevant i do not know??

From what i have researched I'm entitled to a rebate of the full tax paid that year due to not going over the taxable threshold linked to my tax code 647L.

So £282.00

I have a P91 form and a P50 Form "Claiming tax back when you have stopped working" (Is P50 what i actually need? as I'm newly employed now)

1. Do i put my JSA Periods as Job History on the P91?

2. Is there any Template letters for this kind of Application. (I'm poor at letters...)

3. I have read to state i would need a "Lump-Sum Payment"?

4. Is there anything else i need to include or any other forms i need to complete?

5. (General Q) Now that I'm back in work (Started 4/5/10) do i pay tax immediately or only when i hit the taxable threshold?

Thanks for all your time and advice.

much appreciated.

James

Hi Semi,

From the 6/4/09 to 5/4/10 in only Earned £2037.50 with a "total Tax to Date" of £282.00
if you've received any income replacement benefits during the tax year 09-10 they will have to be counted as income as well, have you had any of these: e.g. Income support, JSA or ESA. If that's all you've received in income (£2037.50) - then yes you will get the full £282 tax rebated.

Regards,

Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Hi Paul. Yes i was on JSA the whole time i was unemployed. in that tax year it works out roughly at 9 months £2340 (very rough figure)

thanks

James

Claim the tax as someone not in work (which you were on the last day of the last tax year), the fact that you returned to work in the new tax year will have no relevance to the old one.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Hi Paul. Yes i was on JSA the whole time i was unemployed. in that tax year it works out roughly at 9 months £2340 (very rough figure)

thanks

James

Have you had your P60 from JCP?

Was the £2340 from paid work, the fact that you've paid £282 in tax suggests the answer is yes.

If this is the case you then need to add on the 9 months of JSA, I don't know how much that was but if the total of earnings + JSA is less than £6470 for the year - then all your tax is due back to you.

um. my Employment Tax is £282.00, JSA P45 (Sept09-May10) tax box is empty?? i unfortunately don't have the other JSA P45 (June09-Aug09) its been misplaced. :(

this is period 09 to 10 tax year

I have just completed the P91. and have put as not employed/claim JSA

Hi there. Are you willing or able to post all the figures they've given you and how they're described? Loan Ranger has told you the right stuff, we just need to get to the bottom of what your actual earnings from all sources were.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi there. Are you willing or able to post all the figures they've given you and how they're described? Loan Ranger has told you the right stuff, we just need to get to the bottom of what your actual earnings from all sources were.

HB

Thanks HB, I was beginning to get quite irked by what might be construed as obfuscation from Semi.

Best and kindest regards to you and Mr. Bee,

Paul.

:D. Mr B he say thank you. HB x

Btw, how sad is to be spending our Saturday evening doing this? We should be out drinking 8 pints of lager, having a curry and getting into a fight. What went wrong?

Btw,you must be very smart. Obfuscation?

HB x

doh. i'm such a twonker. i know what im missing. very sorry but i won't be able to do this at present. i know the info i need which is as follows.

6th April 09 - 24th June 09 = P45 (Employment)*

25th June 09 - 7th August 09 = P45 (JSA)*

* Missing Documents. Replacements P46 due Soon.

10th August 09 - 11th Sept 09 = P45 (Employment)

Total Pay £2037.50

Total Tax £282.00

14th Sept 09 - 5th May 10 = P45 (JSA) (Only up to 5th April 10)

Total Pay £237.67 (Including Taxable Benefit) So is this the Tax?

Total Tax £0.00

but as you can see i have 2 P45's missing! (I moved recently and had a big clear out) I will continue this when i have all the Documents.

Feel such an Idiot now lol.

Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience... :o

or do they not need this info? from wat i have read they get a page of each of my p45's?

Edited by Semi

:D. Mr B he say thank you. HB x

Btw, how sad is to be spending our Saturday evening doing this? We should be out drinking 8 pints of lager, having a curry and getting into a fight. What went wrong?

Btw,you must be very smart. Obfuscation?

HB x

i had to google that word :? lol

Hi there Semi. I'm struggling now, and I know you're not trying to obfuscate :). For us to tell you if you've paid too much tax, we don't [that is I don't] need all these form names and numbers, which mean nothing to me as I am a simple soul.

Do you have a calculator and can you add up all the income and benefits you received in the 2009/10 tax year? If you give us a total in £, I think we can help you.

Sorry if this is boosy, oops bossy, but Mr HB will tell you that's how I am.

HB

To Semi:

HB: we don't [that is I don't] need all these form names and numbers, which mean nothing to me
I don't need them either, and I think they mean even less to you Semi - in post 5, I asked about a P60 from JSA - as yet you haven't answered this, however you went on to talk of other P documents and demonstrated that you are 'out of your depth' regards the meanings/purposes of the various P documents:

1. P45 - this is what you are given when you leave either an employer or the dole. It shows your gross earnings and tax during the tax year up to your date of termination.

You give the P45 to whoever you go to next, employer or JCP depending on whether you're, going on, or coming off the dole. There isn't a page or copy for you to keep, I really can't see why you brought P45 up here.

The recipient (employer or JCP) then uses the information from the P45 to work out how much to tax you under the P.A.Y.E. scheme by adding your new wages/salary to the P45 amounts. The P45 is of no use to me for doing the end of tax year sums.

2. P60 - this is sent to you at the end of the tax year (April 2010 in this particular case) and it is for you to keep. It will have the years cumulative total for your income, tax paid, and NI contributions from all your employment and dole during that tax year. THESE FIGURES ARE WHAT WE NEED (a).Your Total Income for the year, (b)Your Total Tax for the year as stated on the P60.

THE P60 IS CLEARLY MARKED WITH THE WORDS (to the effect of) 'DO NOT LOSE THIS FORM, YOU MAY NEED IT TO PROVE YOUR PENSION ENTITLEMENT LATER. WE CANNOT ISSUE DUPLICATES LATER.

ok i kinda understand now. sorry i think i confuse myself alot of the time. i have not received a P60 as of yet. I moved house on the 16th April. i have received all redirected mail and it hasn't come through. when exactly in april should i have expected the P60? and how do i alert them of my address change? I have told JSA my new address if that helps.

Sorry again. good job im in the right place here hey lol

I've got my "P60 (Substitute)" (for that's what you get from the DWP) in front of me and it is dated 02/05/2010, it arrived somewhere around 2 weeks back and is a single sheet of A4. It is quite usual for them to be sent out in early May each year.

Seeing as I'm on I.B. and not JSA, and, possibly in another region, I can't really say for certain which BDC you should contact. You will have to ask the JCP you attended in April to tell you who to contact for your P60 (Substitute).

Loan Ranger's right, Semi. My employers often don't get the P60s out for weeks after the end of the tax year [5th April].

Until you have that, or the figures from it, I fear you won't be able to progress any further in your quest. If you want money back from HMRC, they want proof. Are you in contact with anyone where you used to live who could check if anything is there?

My best, HB

morning.

yes i am in contact with someone that still lives there. and i do still receive some mail (Junk really) which i pick up pretty much daily if i'm in the area. (only 3 mins away) and am 100% certain it has not been delivered.

JSA + JCP had my change of address a few days before i moved and have received all letters from them to my new address with no problems. so hopefully it will be on its way soon.

I will speak with JCP (Worthing) about a substitute when they open tomorrow.

Thanks for your help guys. :D

Enjoy the Sunshine Today!!

Update. 24th/05

called JSA Worthing. they are apparently backed up at present. but the person on the phone is sending me the info i need on a letter headed paper. is this ok?

thanks.

Ok i believe i have received my P60U? can you please have a look to verify this is what i need to get a rebate? as it is not clear to me at all.

and how do i work out what to claim back for a rebate?

4656455621_2e83608424_b.jpg

thanks guys.

Ok i believe i have received my P60U? can you please have a look to verify this is what i need to get a rebate? as it is not clear to me at all.

and how do i work out what to claim back for a rebate?

thanks guys.

Thanks James for the P60. It doesn't (somewhat surprisingly to me) show any tax paid by you during tax year 09-10, but don't worry about that, JCP have only given the details pertaining to the +/- 6 months you were on the dole during the 09-10 tax year,
14th Sept 09 - 5th May 10 = P45 (JSA) (Only up to 5th April 10)
and perhaps also the other +/- 6 weeks
25th June 09 - 7th August 09 = P45 (JSA)
Any tax officer will be able to determine this from dividing the Total £1726.93 by the weekly rate for JSA.

You should get all your tax rebated, however it's now for you to provide the tax officer evidence of the earnings and tax from employment, e.g.

Total Pay £2037.50

Total Tax £282.00

The evidence could be pay-slips or a copy of your leaving P45 would be better if you have one. If your combined income from employment and dole are below £6475 in tax year 09-10, then you should get every last penny of your tax back, from the available evidence this proves to be the case.

There is one slight "grey area" period

6th April 09 - 24th June 09 = P45 (Employment)*
* Missing Documents. Replacements P46 due Soon.
If you could provide evidence of your earnings and tax for this period to the tax officer you could get that chunk of tax back if it's not been included on this P45:

Total Pay £2037.50

Total Tax £282.00

You can easily determine whether the tax and pay relate to both periods of employment (or just that month 10th August 09 - 11th Sept 09) by asking yourself, "was I being paid £2037.50 PCM". If this is the case then you should try getting the evidence of earnings and tax covering the period 6th April 09 - 24th June 09 and claim that tax back on top of the £282. If your pay was more like £1000/month between 10th August 09 - 11th Sept 09 this would mean that the tax and pay from the earlier job have been included and other evidence (from 6th April 09 - 24th June 09) would serve no purpose.

In conclusion, the evidence you'll need are the P60 + proof of earnings and tax i.e. either your final leaving pay-slips or P45 copies (or replacement copies).

Sorry for being so long-winded and meticulous, I hope you can understand all the details without nodding off.

Regards, Paul.

thankyou for your help again paul. this has been a bit of a mission to get my documents. i need to look after them next time lol.

i have my paye figures for both the times i was employed now. and have the p60u (whic is no help as it does not tell me the tax i paid!)

as you can see from my excel sheet. i have a better understanding of what i am owed. i doubt i will see my p60 as i was told the last day the jsa had by law to supply it to me was 4th june. well thats soon and still nothing...

so i am unsure of how to provide my tax figures for the Benefit periods of the tax year? or will they have this info, and i don't actually have to worry about that bit?

regards, James.

4664220164_640f0b4fe8_b.jpg

4664220070_f6ed7013e4_b.jpg

4664219896_1dda10c190_b.jpg

Hi James, by my calculations you should get a tax rebate of £495.04:

Gross Income £7946.77 (you missed a penny - see last JSA period)

less Personal Allowance £6475.00

= Taxable income £1471.77 @ tax rate 20% = £294.354 of tax due

Tax you've paid this year 09-10 £789.40

- Tax you should be paying £294.354 (as calculated above)

Amount of Tax Rebate due £495.046

The print-out from your ex employer is "just the ticket" evidence-wise.

With regards to your 2 times on JSA, you wouldn't have been paying any tax then because the pittance weekly amount is too low to be taxed under the P.A.Y.E. scheme. Hopefully the tax officer at HMRC will be satisfied with the spreadsheet (and trust you) and the ex-employers print-out, they wouldn't normally have your financial details from JCP/DWP because they are separate government departments.

Send copies of: your excel sheet, the pay sheet from your employer and the JCP P60.

Good luck and best regards,

Paul.

Hi Semi,

Best and quickest way to apply for a rebate is to call your local tax office and request a review of your PAYE contributions for the relevant tax year.

Assuming there are no problems with your tax file you should not even need to fill any forms in!

Use the link below to find the correct number to call. I suggest using box for your post code.

They should have everything they need to know on file and arrange it to be done as soon as possible for you.

http://search3.openobjects.com/kbroker/hmrc/locator/locator.jsp?type=1

I have recently received my rebate by doing exactly this. It normally is this simple and no need to fill in different forms.

Good luck.

Edited by Space_Blokie
font codes were displayed