THE Election - Made your mind up yet ??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, DD, the link take me to CAG main forum page and I can't find the one you mean, can you give me the direct link, pls?

Edit: I'm off to bed now, had a long day today, I'll check it out in the morning if you have found it!

Edited by Bookworm

Sorry, DD, the link take me to CAG main forum page and I can't find the one you mean, can you give me the direct link, pls?

Edit: I'm off to bed now, had a long day today, I'll check it out in the morning if you have found it!

I think this the link you need

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/special-needs-disability-etc/261540-schooling-support.html

enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

I have 1 child who wasn't educated as well as I was. She's still done well, despite the education system under Labour and despite the fact that Dorset is the worst-funded education authority, on a per-child basis than any other in the country because of Labour's hatred towards people who didn't vote for them. For me, the Labour government was not only useless but spiteful as well.

You have a personal reason to hate him. Fair do's. Not exactly the big picture though is it? The Tories have catorgorically done more damage to people and this country in the past, than any other party ever has, or indeed ever will do (present Government excepted of course).

Brown was/is a lying tosser as far as I'm concerned and I'm glad to see the back of him and his predecessor.

Cameron has told twice as many lies in the last couple of months than Brown and Blair put together.

Ask the boss of Tesco what he thinks about the educational standard of kids applying for a job with his firm. A lot of them are simply unemployable. Thatcher's fault I suppose?

What utter claptrap!

I have a more than reasonable standard of education. I was refused an entry position at Tesco's a while back. Funny enough, I have also been turned down by Mcdonalds in the past. So what the hell has that got to do with anything is beyond me:confused:

He has a grudge against youth.....Period!

The boss of Tesco is The Wizard Of Oz in disguise as a jumped up, bigotted, suit wearing jockstrap:mad:.

Edited by SOD'EM

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

I can remember all of that even though I was very young at the time.

Piles and piles of rubbish everywhere. Rats. People not buried.

I don't need the link!!!

You may not need the link DD, as you clearly remember...

However, some other's may not or, were to young to remember?

Labour was to lose the 1970 election, but returned to power in 1974, with Callaghan now in the role of foreign secretary. Then on 16th March 1976, Harold Wilson unexpectedly resigned as prime minister, and Callaghan won the vote to take over the leadership. James Callaghan's elevation was the result of his being a moderate...

But then a combination of circumstances created an economic storm, the intensity of which has rarely been seen in Britain. 1978 saw the retirement of a number of union leaders such as Jack Jones, who had helped the government sell the idea of pay restraint to the unions. The absence of generally sympathetic leaders like Jones contributed to disenchantment with government policies on pay. The crisis began to build in October and November 1978 with a strike by Ford workers. Into early 1979 there were strikes amongst oil tanker drivers, lorry drivers, British Leyland workers, water and sewerage workers. Pay claims ranged between 20% and 40%. On 10th January 1979 Callaghan returned from an international summit in Guadeloupe and held a press conference at Heathrow airport. He dismissed questions about strikes with the words: "I don't think other people in the world will share the view that there is mounting chaos." The next day The Sun newspaper ran its famous headline "Crisis? What crisis?"

Through January the chaos worsened. There were shortages of food and medicines, with ports and distribution depots blocked by secondary picketing. On 22nd January 1979 1.5 million public service workers began intermittent strikes. Schools closed because there were no caretakers to look after them. Ambulances stopped answering emergency calls. Roads were not gritted in cold weather, and refuse was allowed to pile uncollected in the streets. The prime minister, meanwhile, seemed plunged in gloom and inertia. Union power was overwhelming, and it seemed that nothing could be done. Ironically it was in doing nothing that the power of the unions was finally broken. Immoderate union behaviour, unrestricted by an inactive government, was to create a backlash, which was to see the triumph of Margaret Thatcher and her Conservative Party in the general election of May 1979.

As I said prior, history does have a habit of repeating itself...discontent!

I promissed myself I wouldn't get too involved with this thread. For some reason, some people here think that people (that voted Labour) love Gordon Brown and Tony Blair. Quite the opposite.

I just know that things (although were a shambles anyway) are going to get worse. Maybe they are trying to clean up someone elses mess, the same way that Labour did 13 years ago. The difference is, Thatcher was unbelievably catastrophic to this country, and our industries. She didn't give two monkey's who stood in her way. David Cameron has the same attitude.

Labour told many lies, just like any other government or Politician.

The point I am making is that, not a lot of people are above the bread line. Most of them are below. It is these people that form a mass majority. When they realise (in the very near future) what Cameron/Clegg have in store for them, they will be in uproar. Any future election will result in a loss of all them votes. Maybe Labour is a bad choice also.

We either need a complete new party (which is very unlikely), or we bash 3 heads together (Cameron,Clegg and whover is the Labour Leader). This will never happen either but hey... we're up s**t creek without a paddle anyway so anything is worth a shot:p.

I promissed myself I wouldn't get too involved with this thread. For some reason, some people here think that people (that voted Labour) love Gordon Brown and Tony Blair. Quite the opposite.

I just know that things (although were a shambles anyway) are going to get worse. Maybe they are trying to clean up someone elses mess, the same way that Labour did 13 years ago. The difference is, Thatcher was unbelievably catastrophic to this country, and our industries. She didn't give two monkey's who stood in her way. David Cameron has the same attitude.

Labour told many lies, just like any other government or Politician.

The point I am making is that, not a lot of people are above the bread line. Most of them are below. It is these people that form a mass majority. When they realise (in the very near future) what Cameron/Clegg have in store for them, they will be in uproar. Any future election will result in a loss of all them votes. Maybe Labour is a bad choice also.

We either need a complete new party (which is very unlikely), or we bash 3 heads together (Cameron,Clegg and whover is the Labour Leader). This will never happen either but hey... we're up s**t creek without a paddle anyway so anything is worth a shot:p.

I agree with you almost completely and in a way I think most people do, hence the reason we've got a hung parliament. People were fed up with Labour but didn't trust the Tories enough and ultimately, not the LibDems either.

We can all speculate until the cows come home but it's far too early to tell yet what this lot will be like.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

We can all speculate until the cows come home but it's far too early to tell yet what this lot will be like.

Well put Fred:wink:.

I am just basing my responses on what has happened in the last 2 weeks. It is fact that Conservatives have (since Fred Flinstone was voting) sided towards making sure people with money can gain more, and the strugglers will struggle more. If you trap a rat in a corner, it will do anything in it's power to escape and get out. The same goes for humans. Most will do whatever it takes to survive. Some will not do anything about it. Some will turn to theft, or even violence. Some will take their own lives (The Child Support Agency has already taken 61 fathers' lives). Take more money and jobs from people, and that situation will only get worse. There is no other way for it to go.

But hey. Let the **** kill each other and themselves. which will in turn decrease the surface poulation and save the country money. In the meantime, the ones with the money already (albeit some of them worked their a**s off to earn it, so deserve it), will just sit back and enjoy the pantomime.

There is no such thing as an Ideal World, and the vast majority of people were not born with a silver spoon/plum in their mouth. Cameron has not got a clue what it is like to struggle. He has never visited any of these (so called poor) places for long enough to get an idead what it can be like.

Would you tell all of your family that they are all going to get taxed more/lose money? The answer is simply a big fat NO!, so we can't expect Cameron to do it either. If he won't say it to his family, then he can't say it to anyone else in his families position (quite affluent and wealthy). But it's alright to hurt someone you don't know (the rest of the people), and he has already told us that he is going to make us worse off. He has only just told us that (more than expected) decision, so he will not change his mind now (until about 2 months before the next election when the usual parliamentary drivel "lies" will appear).

Conservatives can't do any worse than Labour?

Why not, they've done it before.

I am not speaking about the majority of voters in the last election. I am speaking for the majority of the people in the country. People who find it a constant struggle as it is to get by now, wether they are working or not. I am not saying they will suffer either. But David Cameron has already said "they Will".

We know Labour have not got the education thing completely right, but we can't blame the whole financial mess on them. That is a global epidemic. We can blame the cash that went missing at the end of their reign on them, but I beleive that any self confessing Tory would have done the same thing. It's spiteful, but that's politics.

Edited by SOD'EM

Well put Fred:wink:.

I am just basing my responses on what has happened in the last 2 weeks. It is fact that Conservatives have (since Fred Flinstone was voting) sided towards making sure people with money can gain more, and the strugglers will struggle more. If you trap a rat in a corner, it will do anything in it's power to escape and get out. The same goes for humans. Most will do whatever it takes to survive. Some will not do anything about it. Some will turn to theft, or even violence. Some will take their own lives (The Child Support Agency has already taken 61 fathers' lives). Take more money and jobs from people, and that situation will only get worse. There is no other way for it to go.

But hey. Let the **** kill each other and themselves. which will in turn decrease the surface poulation and save the country money. In the meantime, the ones with the money already (albeit some of them worked their a**s off to earn it, so deserve it), will just sit back and enjoy the pantomime.

There is no such thing as an Ideal World, and the vast majority of people were not born with a silver spoon/plum in their mouth. Cameron has not got a clue what it is like to struggle. He has never visited any of these (so called poor) places for long enough to get an idead what it can be like.

Would you tell all of your family that they are all going to get taxed more/lose money? The answer is simply a big fat NO!, so we can't expect Cameron to do it either. If he won't say it to his family, then he can't say it to anyone else in his families position (quite affluent and wealthy). But it's alright to hurt someone you don't know (the rest of the people), and he has already told us that he is going to make us worse off. He has only just told us that (more than expected) decision, so he will not change his mind now (until about 2 months before the next election when the usual parliamentary drivel "lies" will appear).

Conservatives can't do any worse than Labour?

Why not, they've done it before.

I am not speaking about the majority of voters in the last election. I am speaking for the majority of the people in the country. People who find it a constant struggle as it is to get by now, wether they are working or not. I am not saying they will suffer either. But David Cameron has already said "they Will".

We will all suffer for Labour's profligacy. Simple as that.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

Sorry Fred, I had to edit my last post while you yourself were posting. I've just added a bit more and worded things slightly different.

Not that it would change your last post though.:D

Fred, all anyone can read in to any of your posts on this thread is your overwhelming and irrational hatred of two politicians. They aint got nothin' on Maggie!

People will also assume that you're one of the lucky ones that is comfortably off. Good luck to but have a thought for the poor b'tards already suffering in extreme poverty :|

Not that it would change your last post though.:D

That's exactly right.

Us Labour supporters have been condemned as Blair/Brown lovers, it doesn't matter how many times we expain that it is not necessarily the case, and Labour/Blair/Brown have been summarily been condemned as being responsible for everyone of Britain's woes, best summed up as: "My cat died in 1999, I blame Blair". Whatever achievement has been made under Labour is ignored or dismissed, and every thing they got wrong get nitpicked and used as evidence of their wrongdoings (including the irrelevant "non-elected" [and now pot/kettle] label on GB!).

Like you, I look at history, not just the last 13/25/50 years, and I see what should be obvious to all: that a party composed of the self-called "elite" of the country with the majority of the wealth will never ever do anything to jeopardise the growth of that wealth even when sacrifices need to be made. Traditionally, when a king needed to go to war, it was the peasants that were squeezed for extra tax, not the noblemen. Colonial properties always paid for the worst excesses of the oppressing country. This is not a British thing exclusively, it is a matter of fact for all ruling classes everywhere. :-(

Historically, a conservative (the clue is in the word!) / upper-class / aristocracy based system never favours the poorest. You can argue until you're blue in the face about Thatcher/Callaghan/Blair etc... but the historical facts speak for themselves. :-(

People will also assume that you're one of the lucky ones that is comfortably off. Good luck to but have a thought for the poor b'tards already suffering in extreme poverty :|

8) Sayin nowt.

Edited by SOD'EM

Fred, all anyone can read in to any of your posts on this thread is your overwhelming and irrational hatred of two politicians. They aint got nothin' on Maggie!

Hi BB, I certainly have an extreme dislike for both Blair & Brown, but it's not irrational. I just hate what they've done to this country. I'm sure they've done some good things for a lot of people, but I'm not one of them. My income has gone down in real terms because of their tax rises and I won't get the pension I'd hoped for because Brown stole the pensions money.

I'm certainly not well off - I've had to sell two of the Rollers so far this year, let one of the butlers go and postpone the planned 18-bedroom extension to the West Wing.

Regards.

Fred

and every thing they got wrong get nitpicked and used as evidence of their wrongdoings.(

As if leaving the country with a £160 billion debt is nitpicking. Yeah go on, tell me, it was somebody else's fault.

Fred, I'll be honest: I don't give a toss if the country is bankrupt as long as I can put food on my table. I don't care if the country is flying high with billions in its coffers if it means I can't buy shoes for the kids. That's the simplest equation of them all.

The debt is the debt is the debt. Yes, Labour left the deficit, the Tories would have too. As has been stated over and over again, it is a GLOBAL recession, it affects ALL countries, regardless of which side was in power at the time. How difficult a concept is that to grab? Oh, I forgot, that would mean having to be slightly fair-minded.

Labour have wronged Fred and his family personally, so therefore I can understand his personal grudge. If he chooses not to grasp what the rest of the country are now saying (well the mass majority anyway, even a load of the people that voted Conservative, and 99% of people that voted Lib Dem), then that's his choice.

All's fair in CAG and Politics:p

We're still turning out kids who can't read and write despite the massive amount of extra funding that has gone into the education system in the past 13 years. Something has failed somewhere. It's not the current government's fault yet.

Very true.... the SEN register is heaving where I work. Kids who can't read and write are placed on this register but the reasons why they can't read and write are not always clear unless someone can be bothered to dig a bit deeper and find out.... :mad:

Children who can't speak English should not be sent to mainstream schools until they can. They should be sent to specific schools to learn English, because without English you cannot learn anything else. You cannot pass exams because you can't read the questions. Do you really think the Gov. are going to pay for those? :rolleyes:

The time spent trying to teach anything to children who don't understand English is wasted.

The second issue is discipline. So many children go to school never having been told what to do, or what not to do. It is apparently a total shock to them that they cannot behave exactly as they please. If remedial classes need to be set up to teach them proper behaviour so be it. Separate classes again if necessary. They're called SEN classes. I teach in such classes and kids are bunged in their because no-one else wants them in their own classes. There is good and bad in this. The good is that they're in a different environment; the bad thing is that they're bunged in with SEN kids with medical problems... :mad:.... which is grossly unfair to those children!

Also, they CAN still do what they like in the sense that schools don't want to upset parents and risk being named in the press.... so they are molly-coddled, which helps no-one.

It is an incredibly stressful job to do. I love it because I care for the kids but I'm on the brink of leaving simply because I cannot teach these kids in the way OFSTED want me to; neatly, with a tidy lesson plan, no behaviour issues... and all wrapped up in an hour. Yeah right! :mad:

As Woody says, so many school-leavers have numeracy and literacy problems and it's a disgrace. If children don't reach a certain level in one year, there is no point in moving them up to the next year where they will fail again. Far better that they are kept back a year and given remedial teaching to get them up to scratch. Money again...

They could also do worse than bring back the YTS. My sister, who was held back a year in school, left with only one exam. She went on to the YTS and worked really hard. The following year she was offered a place to do a degree. She was the only one in her group to be offered that - probably because everyone else didn't work at it and just moaned about being cheap labour. YTS did work and provided opportunities to those who wanted it to work for them.

It was still cheap labour though.... and successfully kept young people off the unemployment stats.

The vast majority of people we see who have numeracy and literacy problems tend to be in the 30 plus age bracket. Statistically about 80% of our customers are over 40. So if we are going to blame goverments for bad educational standards (an argument that incidentally is vastly over simplyfiyng the problem) then lets have a look at Thatchers generation

Not at all. It's still going on but schools are too busy trying to please the Gov. inspectors instead of teaching kids. The Gov. need to butt out of education and let teacher's do the job properly and assess them on results instead. Teachers are leaving in droves and overseas ones are coming over in droves.... who deliver the "tidy" lessons so that OFSTED go away happy, but the kids can't understand them... so the results are not their anyway.

It drives me nuts!.... :mad:

The Gov. need to butt out of education and let teacher's do the job properly and assess them on results.

Now that's something I agree 110% with P1.

Now that's something I agree 110% with P1.

Me too, though personally I'd only go up to 100%. The same applies to the NHS too.