Sunday Working Act/Employment Rights Act - Applicable to Wholesale?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5137 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice here as I'm a little confused!

I was hoping to use the above named acts to state that I no longer wished to work on a Sunday.

However, during a conversation with a colleague at work today (I work in a wholesaler) and they said that an employee had tried to use the legislation to opt-out of working Sundays, but the request was refused on the grounds that as we are a wholesaler, and not a shop, we are exempt from the legislation.

Can anyone shed any light on this as to whether this is true?

I've tried searching online, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

Thank you in advance.

Sunday Trading Act 1994 -

(2) Where premises are used mainly for purposes other than those of retail trade or business and would not apart from sub-paragraph (1) (above) be regarded as a shop, only such part of the premises as—

(a) is used wholly or mainly for the purposes of retail trade or business, or

(b) is used both for the purposes of retail trade or business and for the purposes of wholesale trade and is used wholly or mainly for those two purposes considered together,

is to be regarded as a shop for the purposes of this Schedule.

Therefore your colleague is right...

Edited by Bigredbus

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Sunday Trading Act 1994 -

(2) Where premises are used mainly for purposes other than those of retail trade or business and would not apart from sub-paragraph (1) (above) be regarded as a shop, only such part of the premises as—

(a) is used wholly or mainly for the purposes of retail trade or business, or

(b) is used both for the purposes of retail trade or business and for the purposes of wholesale trade and is used wholly or mainly for those two purposes considered together,

Therefore your colleague is right...

Hmm, I'm reading the above information quite differently:

To me, that states that the my place of work would be regarded as a shop, for the purposes of this schedule, and therefore the act would be applicable.

No? Or am I just being rather foolish!?