ESA question

scousegeezer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have worked all my life except for short periods when awaiting surgery on a degenerative back injury - Industrial Injury. Due to my previous (last employer) not making Reasonable Adjustments, which meant that I was sitting down for the best part of six months;I now find that I am unable to work. I have had the injury for 31 yrs and as stated above , continued to work. I have applied for ESA three weeks ago and was advised that it would take three to four weeks to process. No problem there. I had a phone-call this morning from a chap at ESA. He asked me a few questions and then told me that he would put me forward for Contribution based EAS, as if he had put me through for income based I would likely not receive anything. This is because I receive Industrial Injuries Benefit and Mobility compononent of DLA. I asked if this would last for six months and he advised me that it wouldn't and that I would remain on Conts based. I asked how much that would be and was told £64.30p. My question , is that it now . Are my wife and I supposed to "live" on that amount for the next 9 yrs until I receive my state pension. Or will it ever increase, on top of inflationary increases.

Thanks - Scousegeezer.

have you claimed income support

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Pompey,

Wasnt aware that I could claim IS. What cdriteria is there for that. Tahnks for the early reply.

Scousegeezer

Hi

As far as i know there is no more income support or IB it's all now ESA or JSA that's it. Anyone knows different please say so.

My advice is based on my opinion and my experience. It is not to be taken as legal advice as I am not legally qualified

If my advice has been helpful, please take a moment to click on the scales

on the bottom left hand side of my profile :p

No that is not the case below is the criteria

Income Support

What is Income Support?

This is extra money to help people on a low income.

It is for people who don't have to sign on as unemployed.

This could be if you are:

• sick or disabled
  • a lone parent responsible for a child under 12 years of age
  • a carer, or
  • registered blind.

Can I get Income Support?

It is for people who:

• are 16 to 59 years old
  • have a low income
  • work less than 16 hours a week
  • are not in full-time study
  • do not get Jobseeker's Allowance
  • do not have savings above £16,000, and
  • live in Great Britain

Income Support is a top up benefit for those that are on a low income and is there to bring your income up to the amount the government says you need to live on

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018708

Edited by pompeyfaith

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

LIBRO is correct in that IS cannot be claimed anymore on the grounds of incapacity. This ended on 27th October of 2008 for new claims; the criteria for the sick and disabled can only be met for linking purposes; if someone had a previous claim to IB or IS.

What will happen is they will assess you for contribution based ESA (which doesn't end in six months like JSA © does). If you don't fit the criteria for contribution based ESA or your household income is still below the amount the law says you need to live on, you will also be assessed for Income Related ESA (both rates are sometimes paid together where the income thresholds are not reached). The amount for conts based is a flat rate of £64.30 per week during the assessment phase. Upon completion of the assessment phase, the award will increase if you are to remain on ESA. The increase will depend upon what group you are placed within at the end of the assessment phase. See here for rates rates also increase every April, though only by a few pence.

DLA and IIDB should not affect ESA - see here

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Erika Thank you for making that clear I stand corrected, can I now ask you a question.

I am on I.B long term rate and as I understand it at some point I.B claimants will go over to ESA.

Do you know when this will be.

Thank You

Regards

PF

Hi PF. They are looking to start transferring people over from October this year - the minimum timescale set on it to get everyone over is two years from then however in reality it will likely take longer than that. I don't know as yet how they plan to do it, whether they are doing it chronilogically, alphabetically or otherwise.

If I ever manage to find out, I'll let people know. There are a few here who work in the administration of ESA who will know more before I will, so hopefully they will post up as soon as they know.

• Haha 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

There are a few here who work in the administration of ESA who will know more before I will, so hopefully they will post up as soon as they know.

[bolding added]

I am not confident that we will know before you do :lol:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.