Driving an uninsured car under doc from another policy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5198 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I am new to the forum so please bare with me

I am have fully comprehensive insurance on the car I own which entitles me to drive any other car with owners consent at third party only

What I am unsure about is am I allowed to drive a car that has no existing insurance on it at all, am I only covered at third party when the car in question has a valid insurance policy or am I covered regardless if it has tax and mot then would be road legal with me driving it ?

Any help you can provide would be extremely helpful

Edited by Rooster-UK
Text formatting instructions removed.

I second what Kiptower says. My brother was driving his family car when he was pulled over by the police. The insurance had run out on the car. The car was impounded by the police. My brother has comprehensive insurance for his work van, so was covered for driving. The car's insurance company was at fault and paid all the expenses. All cars on the road need to be individually covered - not just drivers.

I second what Kiptower says. My brother was driving his family car when he was pulled over by the police. The insurance had run out on the car. The car was impounded by the police. My brother has comprehensive insurance for his work van, so was covered for driving. The car's insurance company was at fault and paid all the expenses. All cars on the road need to be individually covered - not just drivers.

Spot on !

The retailers worst nightmare !

sorry but your wrong, the other car does not have to have valid insurance as the 3rd party cover provides the minimum cover required by law.

Check your policy,although you may have comp cover this is not automatically provide doc cover as age and occupation will sometimes excluded this cover, usually under 25`s and professional drivers and motor trade etc. And the 3rd party cover is only valid while the vehicle is being driven.

doc usually excludes driving any other vehicle owned,hired or leased to you...looks like you got away with it.:)

this was a loophole that people were using when friends cars were impounded for no insurance. The person with DOC would turn up and be able to get the car released as the cover would provide the minimum 3rd party cover. This loophole has since been closed as only the vehicle registration on the cert is the only vehicle that can be released if impounded.