Meritforce/Mackenzie Hall letter

ViewWithARoom
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Just had a letter out of the blue from somone called Meritforce regarding a debt on behalf of Mackenzie Hall Debt Purchase, the Pursuers J D Williams ??

Has come out the blue, I've never even heard of any of these people and I've never owed anyone a penny in all my life...ever..

What should I do ? who should I call ?

OFT ?

Police ?

Trading Standards ?

..obviously not worth calling Meritforce or Mackenzie Hall is it ?

This looks very much like a [problem]..but they have a very real looking website..seems both companies are the same entity..

Hi, Sorry you were missed.

Meritfarce and Muck Hall (AKA the Kilmarnock Cowboys) are one and the same and they are not a [problem]. They are even worse. They are a DCA:(

Do not reply to this phishing letter and report them to Trading Standards and the OFT. They have included information about a debtor who has the same name as you OR someone has committed fraud in your name.

If they keep chasing you, you could send a prove it letter but that is not for now.

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

..called them this morning..

They asked me if I had ever lived in as certain road in Liverpool.

I told them that I had never lived at this address.

They said that somone who lived at that address has the same name and date of birth as myself ( surefire investigating there then ! )

They then told me it must be a mistrace or that incorrect information had been supplied to them by a Credit Reference Agency linking me to this other person and suggested that I check my Credit Report.

I did this and the only item on there at all is this search done by Mackenzie Hall a week or so back, everything else is all tickety boo.

I called Equifax and they said that I have to request that Mackenzie Hall apply to Equifax have their search entry removed from my Credit Report.

Magic, great way to waste an entire evening and nearly twelve quid.

Shame I can't sue someone.

Should I contact OFT ? or Trading Standards ?

Is it worth the bother ?

Both. The OFT won't take on individual complaints but compile a dossier of "bad" practices by the DCA's and when it's time to renew their licence, these complaints come into the decision making.

Trading Standards like to hear about them too. They may help get the search removed.

I do think(and it's a vague think) it's only you (and meritforce) who know about the search as anyone else won't know who the search was by. I would email Meritforce and demand they remove the search as they never had your permission to look.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

I did decide to call West Midlands Trading Standards.

They took some details and agreed that it would be a good idea to speak to the OFT, they gave me the number to call, so I did.

The OFT have directed me to their online complaints form which they have recommended that I fill in and submit.

I've also sent an e-mail to Meritforce/Mackenzie Hall requesting that they remove their search entry from my Equifax records and that they also reimburse me my £11.95 that they caused me to incurr in the process of having to check my Credit Report.

I've had another telephone call back from the person who sent the letter apologizing most profusely, I told him that I wanted my £11.95 back...he seemed a bit gobsmacked by this and said he'd speak to his superior.

Lets see what happens eh..

Edited by ViewWithARoom

Blimey, an apology. I'm surprised they knew the "S" word.

I hope you do get your costs back but don't hold your breath

Well...

..I am in receipt of a written apology..from Mackenzie Hall stating that they are going to get Equifax to remove their search from my credit report...

..and..wait for it.. a cheque for not only my £11.95 Equifax fee which I requested...but also an extra £25 by way of an apology for inconviniencing me.

Well I never !

Still could have done without all of this hassle in the first place...

WOW!!! :D

All I can say is.... RESULT.

That must have hurt them to write the cheques. You did very well taking them on at their own game

Lets hope they learn from their mistakes.

fox

• 3 months later...

I received a letter from those scumbags last year saying the same .

The alleged debt of £654 was " owed " to someone I had never heard of and it was taken out in march 2003 . I am now being pursued by some mob called Arvato Finance Services who are " acting on Mackenzie Hall's behalf " . Getting ****ed off . I stay in Kilmarnock and know where their office is . Thinking of paying them a visit face to face . Anyone heard of this Arvato outfit ?

Hi,

Can't say I've heard of this mob.

Even if it was your debt, it would be Statute Barred by now.

Don't bother ringing them but if you want to put this to bed, send them a prove it letter. They would have a hard job :)

Letter 18 here:

The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors

send by recorded delivery.

It is also an idea that you check your credit file as any erroneous entry will cost them-big

• 4 weeks later...

Sands is still there I've just had a response to a complaint from him regarding

a complaint made to the CSA what a load bull sxxx an absolute cop out

no questions answered ''they have acted perfectly'' and hope I am satisfied with their reply.

Little do they know about the latest complaint to the OFT.

Complain to the OFT Ms. Phyllis Solis at the reporting centre is most helpful.

...my son just got a letter from First Credit debt collection agency saying that they were chasing a debt of £1500 which he owed to Moneyshop.

He's never even heard of them..

Seething I called First Credit on his behalf and after asking me for his date of birth they pretty much confirmed with me on the the telephone that it was a mistrace.

After getting my son to call them to confirm this with them it turned out it was indeed a mistrace...they are sending him a letter to confirm this..

Why is this happening ?

Are these people completely stupid ?

A total waste of everyones time and money..

There must me more to this, they can't be doing this by accident, is there anyone who has workled in the debt collection industry that can enlighten us as to why this goes on

Edited by ViewWithARoom

Hmm just followed the link to 1st Credit..

Why am I not surprised..

Perhaps we should pursue some kind of compensation for their inconviniencing us..after all Mackenzie Hall divvied up £25

Perhaps I'll give it a go..

I think a call to Trading Standards followed by a call to the OFT for starters..

• 1 month later...

I received one of these this morning, telephoned and spoke to a rather terse lady. The supposed debt is from 17 years ago and in my maiden name. They obviously look hard for stuff. Thing is I don't know anything about it.

Oh dear, they really are scraping the barrel trying to collect on a debt that is Statute Barred by almost 3 time the limit.

IGNORE

Check your credit file though to make sure they haven't done any searches or placed any derogative info on there

Report Mackenzie Hall to Alan Stewart at East Ayrshire Trading Standards, he is very helpful in getting them off your back - got them told off TWICE in six months (they have VERY short memories as well as being economical with the truth!).

Let Mr Stewart know about these mis-traces, the more they mis-trace the more likely an external investigation will be held.

Thank you. I shall see what happens and if there is any follow up, I shall contact Mr. Stewart. I did ask them for everything in writing, strongly suspect that will be the last I hear! I will also follow up the credit reference thing. Grateful for the advice, Thanks again.

Faery.

• 1 year later...

Hi, to this site I am a newbie, however, I have also had a recent run in with MH, and have been threatened with a visit from their terrorist arm. My response, in writing, was; Should any representative of Meritforce or MH attempt to access my property, (that includes walking across my property to gain access to the front door) I will instigate Civil Proceedings against both companies and their representatives for trespass.

As I have forewarned them, in writing, should they attenpt a 'doorstep visit' , they cannot claim a legitimate exuse for any visit.

Further, if you dispute the account in any shape or form, suggest THEY take you to court. Their response will be, 'we don't do that'. Then ask them why? What you will receive is absolute silence.

DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE THREATENED BY THIS COMPANY.

Complain to the OFT, the more the merrier. Their licence is annual and can be revoked if a sufficient number of legitimate complaints are received by the OFT. Ayrshire Trading Standards would also be interested.

Man is the animal that blushes, or needs too!

Welcome OHB, you do realise this is a very old thread

You say - "Their licence is annual and can be revoked" the operative word their being 'can'. Nothing ever happens to these companies, there are reports and complaints in the thousands but they still carry on as the OFT is just a waste of taxpayers money, they never do anything.