• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The statement about your accounts being frozen while BPF find a new training provider is a load of bull. I have letters from BPF stating that I need to carry on paying till they find a training provider.

I agree

my first payments started in January this year they took that out, I phoned them to ask what was happening and was told that within a month I would get news of the alternative training company.

After Febuary payment I phoned them again was told still no news, and at the begining of March when I again asked what is the news.. "have you found an alternative training company?" the answer was.. "still no news", so I asked for my account to be frozen and no more payments to be taken.. they did not volenteer to do this I had to ask about it...

Barclays then took the March payment anyway.

I phoned again to complain and ask is there any news.. no news was the reply, so I asked can I have my money back please you took the March payment even though my account should be frozen?...

They did refund me the March payment but only because I asked for it, and the rep for some reason could not send my payment back into my bank account, the rep said I can either go to my bank and request it back or we can send you a cheque.. I asked for a cheque.

I figured that at least it shows they refunded me rather than me trying to claw it back and I have a record of the transaction... I had to remove the DD to pay barclays otherwise they would have carried on taking payments.

then a few weeks later came the letter telling me they had "Found" computeach.

(thats 2 months too late!!! and thats the wrong company to force down our necks!!) and that they would automatically restart taking payments.. and that without consultation or by your leave.

I did not re-instate the DD

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The statement about your accounts being frozen while BPF find a new training provider is a load of bull. I have letters from BPF stating that I need to carry on paying till they find a training provider.

Could you send Ingrid at Hausfeld a copy please, Rally? Or if you have an electronic scan of it forward to me at fuzzbutt@ to pass on if you prefer. Thanks.

Our lawyer needs all the evidence she can get to nail this.

I think the valid argument here is that barclays did freeze accounts, but only after we approached them to do it! At which time they did not cancel direct debits and continued to take payments. Those of us who questioned this were told to cancel our direct debits and if requested, got a refund for that payment. We, or at least I then received a statement saying the account is in debit because of the following payment being missed and was advised to ignore this letter.

Regarding what we can do ourselves as this develops, Ingrid has suggested some campaign ideas.On one case (where she acted for thousands of people devastated by floods and insurers refused to pay out) while the legal case went on the people held a public meeting, designed special T shirts and mounted a daily name and shame campaign with the press and MP’s. They overran the boardrooms of the insurance companies during their AGM’s and told shareholders what they were going through.

It worked apparently, with first one big company agreeing to pay out, followed by the others.

A protest at the BPF Cardiff offices has already been suggested here (though I realise as we are all scattered around the country). I don’t have time to organise this on top of all else (the emails to fuzzbutt and collecting up material for the case takes up a good part of each evening and some weekends as it is) but maybe someone would be happy to take this on and 'stage manage' it?

Idea for a campaign slogan...

"Barclays - the new Robbin(g) Hood. Takes from the poor customers to feed the rich!" lol

I can supply a press release (I'm working on a case statement for major media at the moment) if anyone needs something for their local press they may have contacts with.

Other things we should maybe do, contact MPs (some have already, I know). Leaflet local Barclays outlets - that'll freak 'em out, 'ooh don't want to lose our customers!!'

I can do a template poster/leaflet and put up on the website to print off and copy if everyone is up for that.

What do you think?

Any other ideas guys?

(Also copied to Facebook)

PS I think the idea of a public demonstration against Barclays near Downing street would be a good idea, also I think that all of us need to contact our respective MP to highlight the matter.:-x

Agree too, Blade - apologies, I moved my post on campaigning on as I added something else.

Could you send Ingrid at Hausfeld a copy please, Rally? Or if you have an electronic scan of it forward to me at fuzzbutt@ to pass on if you prefer. Thanks.

Our lawyer needs all the evidence she can get to nail this.

No problem. I've just dug them out now and I'll get them scanned, if y scanner plays ball, and sent to you but if not I'll send them to ingrid

FUZZBUTT ANNOUNCEMENT:

I've been discussing the 'One Show' BPF statement that was read out with our group lawyer, and particularly regarding their comment that ‘peoples credit payments were stopped in the 3 month period that a new provider was being sourced’. Ingrid is asking for evidence that they did NOT freeze the accounts and carried on taking and demanding payments during the time before they appointed Computeach.

If you have any evidence in the form of letters/emails/bank statements or even accounts of your telephone calls with Barclays insisting they were not going to freeze your account and you’d have to continue paying, please could you forward them directly to Ingrid Gubbay at Hausfeld (details on our website).

I've just been going through my BPF stuff and as we weren't due to start paying until 26th March all I have are the genetic letters saying that I still need to make payments and a letter telling us we were due to start payments in March but it does have an arrears note on it (I received this on the 3rd of April)

Do I need to send these in?

Cheers Fuzz!!!

I do not start college (a proper college!) until the 27th so i will kick off the protest train. If anyone willing to Leaflet a branch can email me at xxxxxx with your forum name, whether you drive or not, if you have a printer, if you are available weekdays, weekends, both and your location.

I can then put people together so there can be a few of us at each branch.

I have now involved Three MP's in my Dispute my former MP Eric Pickles, My Current MP Pat Mcfadden additionally Eric Pickles wrote to Vince Cable concerning the matter!!! One Secretary for Business One Shadow Secretary for Business and One Secretary for Rural affairs (I think?).

Can we get a list going of what MP's are involved in this matter now?

Edited by IdaInFife
email removed

Hello guys, Had anyone received letters from sanclare finance? i got a letter this morning asking to repay the arrears that bpf added on my account so far..they are being so generous to me, they gave me four days to repay the debt (letter dated 9th sept n i received it today). If i failed to comply with their request, they will continue their efforts to get full balance from me:lol:..i received my final response from BPF n its clearly stating that they will remove all arrears on my account as a gesture of good will:shock:. I sent this response to mercers when they were after me for the payments, didn't hear from them after i sent this letter. I guess all our accounts must have been passed to sanclare now..i will sent this same letter again to them, lets c what they say!!

Hello guys, Had anyone received letters from sanclare finance? i got a letter this morning asking to repay the arrears that bpf added on my account so far..they are being so generous to me, they gave me four days to repay the debt (letter dated 9th sept n i received it today). If i failed to comply with their request, they will continue their efforts to get full balance from me:lol:..i received my final response from BPF n its clearly stating that they will remove all arrears on my account as a gesture of good will:shock:. I sent this response to mercers when they were after me for the payments, didn't hear from them after i sent this letter. I guess all our accounts must have been passed to sanclare now..i will sent this same letter again to them, lets c what they say!!

SANCLARE are just another commission based collection agency.Run by a guy who used to work at Barclay's. If they do not collect money, they do not get their commission. They will not spend to much time & effort chasing people if they do not get any commission. It will end up with someone else, then someone else.Then go back to BPF eventually if no money is being collected. Write to BPF and ask for a copyof the 'deed of assignment' that they should have issued to Sanclare.And while you are at it, ask BPF for a copy of their contract with you.Without those two documents they are on dodgy ground, and from what i have been reading about cases on this very forum.They've got nothing to take you to court with. All very interesting.....

Edited by lowdown

FUZZBUTT ANNOUNCEMENT:

I've just been going through my BPF stuff and as we weren't due to start paying until 26th March all I have are the genetic letters saying that I still need to make payments and a letter telling us we were due to start payments in March but it does have an arrears note on it (I received this on the 3rd of April)

Do I need to send these in?

Cheers Fuzz!!!

[/font]

Please jbaggy - would be useful for Ingrid to see.

I do not start college (a proper college!) until the 27th so i will kick off the protest train. If anyone willing to Leaflet a branch can email me at xxxxxxx with your forum name, whether you drive or not, if you have a printer, if you are available weekdays, weekends, both and your location.

I can then put people together so there can be a few of us at each branch.

I have now involved Three MP's in my Dispute my former MP Eric Pickles, My Current MP Pat Mcfadden additionally Eric Pickles wrote to Vince Cable concerning the matter!!! One Secretary for Business One Shadow Secretary for Business and One Secretary for Rural affairs (I think?).

Can we get a list going of what MP's are involved in this matter now?

Brilliant, thanks for your response, Mustard.

Quite a lot on Facebook are keen to do leaflet campaigns too at their local Barclays but I need to check legalities with Hausfeld first regards what can go on leaflets (don't want to get slapped for libel) and what rights people have regarding protesting at premises etc.

I can put up a leaflet/poster on the student website people can download and photocopy off as they want (or you can do your own). I don't mind putting up a template letter for people to send to MPs as well, for anyone not confident in writing their own.

Edited by IdaInFife
email removed

I made my payment, as usual, on Jan 28. We then heard that Advent has gone bust. I cancelled my dd with immediate effect. When I did not make my payment on Feb 28, I got a letter (dated 3-3-10) fining me £22-50. (I have sent a copy of this letter to Hausfeld). When I did not make my paymeny on March 28, I received a letter stating that I was £390-00 in arrears. (I have sent a copy of this letter to Hausfeld). All of this contradicts BPF's claim that payments were waived until a substitute provider had been sourced.

I would like to support / help the legal action in any way I can. I can't , though, see much to be gained by protests. At this stage, BPF , judging by the fact they haven't conceded an inch, are not going to be embarrassed into conceding defeat or decide they are morally wrong, or anything like that.

The only way this is going to be resolved, in my opinion, is in the courts.

If the legal team feel we have a strong case - LET'S GET IT ON! If they dont, let's say 'Thanks' to all concerned - AND ADMIT DEFEAT.

I'd beg to differ on the protesting not having any effect, Skyblue Dave. As Ingrid said, it helped push a speedy resolution in the flooding case she dealt with due to the public shaming of the companies involved. In our case she hopes the publicity will make BPF come more quickly to the table and stop dragging their feet, perhaps even agree to resolve it without having to have a court action put on them. While this is going on Hausfeld are still in dialogue with Hogan Lovells behind the scenes and a new step has been reached, which I won't disclose on a public forum. This, plus a national MP letter campaign I was also going to put forward, may just gee them along.

As a former campaigner with Amnesty International I know only full well the power of public image for governments and companies who rely on the trust of their customers to make their profits. Lose the public's trust and bang go your profits.

Put it this way, campaigning won't do any harm - we don't lose by it, just a couple of hours in time leafletting outside your local Barclays maybe instead of sitting in front of the telly. Taking part is entirely optional.

I'd beg to differ on the protesting not having any effect, Skyblue Dave. As Ingrid said, it helped push a speedy resolution in the flooding case she dealt with due to the public shaming of the companies involved. In our case she hopes the publicity will make BPF come more quickly to the table and stop dragging their feet, perhaps even agree to resolve it without having to have a court action put on them. While this is going on Hausfeld are still in dialogue with Hogan Lovells behind the scenes and a new step has been reached, which I won't disclose on a public forum. This, plus a national MP letter campaign I was also going to put forward, may just gee them along.

As a former campaigner with Amnesty International I know only full well the power of public image for governments and companies who rely on the trust of their customers to make their profits. Lose the public's trust and bang go your profits.

Put it this way, campaigning won't do any harm - we don't lose by it, just a couple of hours in time leafletting outside your local Barclays maybe instead of sitting in front of the telly. Taking part is entirely optional.

Thanks fuzzbutt. That all makes sense. By using the protests as a way of forcing the issue - backed up by the ongoing threat of court action - I can see it has some merit. My worry, I suppose, was that the legal side was losing it's impetus. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that what you have done to this point is really appreciated.

It's encouraging that things are moving forward on the legal side. I realise that a lot of the work has to be done covertly, but it's helpful to get some sort of progress report, even if it's just to say 'things are progressing'.

I can appreciate that, Dave. I'm in a priveliged position in that I'm in regular contact with Ingrid so I get an insight into what she's doing which the rest of you guys don't. Not knowing the score must be frustrating.

Rest assured we do have a good case and now have great evidence, thanks to everyone who responded, on the mis-selling and BPF lying about putting everyone's accounts on hold.

I can appreciate that, Dave. I'm in a priveliged position in that I'm in regular contact with Ingrid so I get an insight into what she's doing which the rest of you guys don't. Not knowing the score must be frustrating.

Rest assured we do have a good case and now have great evidence, thanks to everyone who responded, on the mis-selling and BPF lying about putting everyone's accounts on hold.

Yes its good to hear Fuzzbutt.. but only thing I that troubles me is that with all these things that BPF bring up.. I am wondering if they are trying to draw out Ingrids stratagy.. since as you know a lot of the way it goes in a court is how things are presented, I have been on jury service and believe me when I say they should get Oscars for their acting performances in the court.. its a game.. and a very expensive one at that

Edited by 10pack

I think we've got some pretty solid arguments, 10pack. S75 and 3 months without any training for a start. Plus Advent's mis-selling courses (we now have the statements of an ex-Advent rep to confirm what we all claim, that we were told it was open-ended and there would be no extra charges, plus the career work placement promise). On top of that, Barclays abuse of CCA with the extortioanate interest - all that's in Hausfeld's first letter.

Barclays argued they needed actual cases and not just generalisations so that's what Hausfeld are putting together now. They'll have to try and fish something else out of their bottom drawer then (no dout they will try)! Ingrid did point out to me in an email a while back that this is all predictable and she's come across all these tactics before with big banks. But it won't prevent them eventually having to come to the table or be dragged kicking and screaming to court. I believe Ingrid was hoping she'd be able to get them to do it without the kicking and screaming as that would be a quicker result for us.

But that hasn't so far happened.

Hey Fuzzbutt, Ingrid was looking into a way to help those of us who were supposed to be a guarantor but ended up being the debtor for the loan and are being told that section 75 doesn't apply as we have no relationship to the supplier? Can you find out if anything came of that?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks